Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 19,674 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm likely moving to NH from the cesspool of NY and one of the reasons for my move to NH are the fair gun laws. I'm a military vet, 2A supporter, and I need to live amongst like-minded individuals who value and will defend the constitution when the time comes.

I've visited NH plenty of times however i don't recall ever seeing anyone open carry a pistol.

How common is this in the cities of NH and do the police create any problems for those who do open/conceal carry?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 10:14 AM

88 posts, read 87,030 times
Open carry is not very common except durring hunting season in the north country. lots of people ,women as well, conceal carry.
I'm a former military MP and always carry but personally don't like open carry because it alarms snowflakes and someone always calls 911 thinking there is going to be an incident.Just not worth it.
Also if you open carry,you'd be the first one that a bad guy would take out.Concealed ,you have an advantage
Just my $.02

Old 06-23-2021, 10:14 AM

4,571 posts, read 5,686,587 times
Thumbs up Spend time out in the woods and on the trails and you'll see more open carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajak View Post
How common is this in the cities of NH and do the police create any problems for those who do open/conceal carry?
Officially, police cannot "create any problems" for concealed carriers, especially since 2017 where the law change such that the Pistol & Revolver License is shall-issue and optional. Unofficially, there are still a couple of towns (Portsmouth being the largest) which aren't fully onboard with the whole "shall issue" thing for their own residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Quote:
I've visited NH plenty of times however i don't recall ever seeing anyone open carry a pistol.
Open carry is not very common except durring hunting season in the north country. lots of people ,women as well, conceal carry. I'm a former military MP and always carry but personally don't like open carry because it alarms snowflakes....
A few businesses, mostly the big commercial shopping malls, enforce their own house rules on carry, mostly against open carry.

Open carry is less common in the areas where we get a lot of NY/MA tourists who are likely to freak out over it. What is more common is imperfect concealed carry, where people just wear their shirt untucked and don't make an effort to avoid "printing".

Spend time out in the woods, on the trails; you'll see more open carry.

Quote:
...someone always calls 911 thinking there is going to be an incident. Just not worth it.
Or calls 911 with the intent of causing an incident. The town website where I have my other office even put up a FAQ on their website telling people to stop calling them just because they observed somebody with a holstered handgun.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 06-23-2021 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-23-2021, 10:16 AM

352 posts, read 226,759 times
Quote:
Hello,

I'm likely moving to NH from the cesspool of NY and one of the reasons for my move to NH are the fair gun laws. I'm a military vet, 2A supporter, and I need to live amongst like-minded individuals who value and will defend the constitution when the time comes.

Thank you.
I know a couple guys that open carry around Seacoast communities. They are Free Staters and one of the big reasons they moved here is because of open carry.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:39 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,064,389 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you.

OP,
My current shopping hubs are Plymouth, Tilton, Gilford, Woodsville, and Littleton. I typically see people open carrying every trip. Interesting to note that most folks I see OCing have decent holsters vs the typical Uncle Mikes type garbage I saw in other states I lived in.

I don't OC myself, summer carry is IWB G26 or P365, but winter carry is OWB G19. In the winter people see the firearm quite often under my jacket, but nobody cares and neither do I.

The police don't create problems, but I'm sure some Karens who refuse to MYOB gripe about it. HB195(designed to protect firearms owners from malicious Karens) was going well this year, but stalled after the House nonconcurred with the Senate amendment.

There are a few pro 2A bills going through.

Some of it is housekeeping and cleaning up references to licenses since the state went constitutional carry. See the original HB334 and the OHRV carry fix.

Some of it is changing background checks. NH is currently a Partial POC state meaning the state runs NICS for pistols and the Feds run NICS for longguns. The state fudged things up last year and it became a defacto waiting period for pistol purchasing. The temp fix was to pull state troopers off the highways and have them run NICS checks. The newly amended HB334 and the original SB141 will shut down that state office and transfer checks to the Feds.

SB154 attempted to make the state a 2A sanctuary. IMO a feel good measure with no real world effects, but I like feeling good. The Senate started with a vague bill which the House added a very specific amendment to, the Senate nonconcurred with that amendment, so it went to a Committee of Conference. What came out of the Conference was a hot garbage amendment that essentially reverses the intent of SB154. There is a GOA alert out on that. The conference ****ed it up bad.

Northeast Shooters is a decent forum and has a bunch of NH folks along with a state rep or two and one of the reps from New Hampshire Firearms Coalitions(a good grassroots 2A organization). The board is kind of quirky if you're used to firearms boards and is also overrun by M*******s who have never left their state and have no concept of what life outside is like.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:44 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,064,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
I know a couple guys that open carry around Seacoast communities. They are Free Staters and one of the big reasons they moved here is because of open carry.

Believe it or not, permitless open carry is legal for non prohibited persons in many normal states. It's only the nanny states like Mass, NY, etc, etc and until recently TX that restricted it.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:05 AM

571 posts, read 1,320,018 times
I have a pistol license for reciprocal reasons, but have yet to go out carrying, concealed or open. People in the Nashua area don't seem to open carry. We are a border city with Mass. so we get M*******s shopping and driving around, plus many transplants. For the same reason many of us wore masks in stores - we just don't want a hassle.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:28 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,076,229 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you.
In Nashua where you want to live by your other posts? Nashua and Southern NH is pretty liberal/moderate. A lot (Good chunk) of the conservatives are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. More libertarian.

More of the posts on here will sway Conservative just by the nature... but NH is not a red dot in a blue see like you might think.. especially Southern NH. Especially your age cohort. Northern NH? Yeah sure. Southern NH? Meh, not really.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:15 AM

441 posts, read 442,329 times
Quote:
Open carry is not very common except durring hunting season in the north country. lots of people ,women as well, conceal carry.
I'm a former military MP and always carry but personally don't like open carry because it alarms snowflakes and someone always calls 911 thinking there is going to be an incident.Just not worth it.
Also if you open carry,you'd be the first one that a bad guy would take out.Concealed ,you have an advantage
Just my $.02
I see your point. But what if the bad guy is about to start shooting and he notices 5 people with side arms. Is he still going to open fire or will he think twice because he probably won't be able to take out 5 people without getting shot himself. I am assuming those who carry are all PROPERLY trained. Just thinking out loud.
We have open carry here in OR but honestly in all my years living here I have not seen many open carry's. We have concealed and I am sure plenty of people do that. I think gun laws are pretty relaxed. Permits are gotten from local sheriff dept.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:58 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,767,584 times
Before NH had Constitutional carry open unlicensed carry was legal. For 7 months out of 12 I couldn't legally wear an overshirt even if it partly concealed my sidearm. I eventually got my P&R but practiced "casual carry" meaning not concerned with "printing" or exposing my firearm. I'm near the Ma border and occasionally I'd freak out the sheeple from massatwosheets who'd go running to the store manager complaining but they were all told "It's legal here". End of issue. Never once in the 15 years I've lived here have I got hassled by the cops for carrying; openly, "casually" or concealed. I have had some good debates in the grocery store about 1911's vs Glocks though. 9 0ut of 10 folks don't seen to notice (or care) who's got a sidearm. More citizens carrying firearms makes me feel safer and it's one of the reasons why New Hampshire is such a safe place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire