Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 11:17 AM

65 posts, read 88,810 times

Advertisements

Howdy y'all!
Wife and I are fixin' to follow extended family to up and move to y'all's beautiful state.
And don't you ever dare call me a flatlander, I was born and raised at 12,600 ft, k? :-)
"real" questions follow a rather long introduction, please jump there if reading a novel is not your thing :-)

Introduction
seriously now and dropping the accent, the tale in brief is that in-laws have chosen to find a safe, healthier place than where they are now (not Texas). In that general frame of mind, several others in the extended family are considering also relocating. For us, and why the others aren't coming here to Austin, is that Texas' summers are brutal. Your winters might be so, but, etc. Also, especially in Austin taxes and real estate prices are going insane, already several years. My relatives are eyeing Franklin. Might be "it" or not, we'll know soon if their offer for a house was accepted, then we'll get ourselves in earnest to figure ours.
I am a papermaker by late-in-life avocation, among the top 10 makers of paper by hand in the USA nowadays. I would find it a funny turn of fate that a papermill came back to "Mill Town," even if a tiny one. I can't blame you for getting rid of your papermills - a most awful polluting thing, they are, that's why we are now dependent for our paper from countries that care not for environment or paying good wages or freedom. Obviously, in my papermaking I am rather extreme in my "sustainability" process and eco practices.
Along the way I picked up several degrees in education, was a teacher for quite a while, and always wanted to work in experiential education, meaning, summer camps and adventure/outdoor activities. Former merchant marine captain, sailing, Red Cross instructor, national trophy winning Rugby coach, etc. It would seem a lot of that has opportunities in NH, I worked an extended summer at a camp in Maine a while back. As a day job, I do consulting work with coding computers. In my teens my family became farmers, after years as university professors, so I've been blessed enormously in many different ways - looking forward to some open spaces, Austin is great, but, hot, and it's growing like crazy.

Questions for you, I have many, and it's hard to start. We're doing a lot of "due diligence." I guess that nothing will prepare you for a brutal winter, except the experience, but it seems that people survive it. And the Canadians are even farther north! Recent research would indicate that getting very very cold from time to time might reduce chances of dementia?
I've spent years where a couple months of mud is normal, not afraid of that. Mosquitoes, we have them quite bad over here. OK, the Province Bird of Alberta is the mosquito, might be worse up north, and flies sound like not fun. Probably we'll have to live things to really assess if we were asses
I have found advice in this forum to be useful, and honest, hopefully. NH might be beautiful, but winters are coming.

Questions:
1) what's with the Franklin revitalization? Marty seems to be a power of nature, but I don't get the impression that the people of Franklin are getting invested in it, or others from elsewhere. This might change, yet generally I am feeling that "let's do something together" is not something that happens in Franklin much, and perhaps not generally something to expect in New Hampshire? I find few indications of clubs, associations, guilds. A lot of extraordinary things done by individuals, mostly in the past. Am I missing something there?

2) what's with Franklin, specifically? Perhaps because it's at the edge of the "areas" of the Lakes, Merrimack and Upper Valley, it's neither of those, and is either a magical hidden pearl, or else the back-of-beyond place? Tilton appears to have a very different dynamic, businesses, stores all over. Franklin looks rather, ahem, mostly dead? Bottom line, are new businesses welcome there? bottom bottom line, would my business be welcome? While we know YMMV, I've read zoning regulations, even with all the freedoms in NH that another post in this forum speaks about, it seems I would need variances to do what I can do in Austin totally legally, even worse if I want to invest and expand. The lack of dynamic businesses makes me curious if the problem is that the city does not want to encourage those?

3) With the size of lots in Franklin, I'd like to have some chickens, a couple sheep, or goats. Again, looking at regulations, it seems that building a chicken coop is also not allowed, probably even less a shed for animals. Despite the place looking very semi-rural, it would seem that operating farms are far away, even fruit trees seem rare. Any thoughts?

4) One of our family members has some mobility difficulties. The North Rail would be a heaven sent, all flat and paved, and will be much enjoyed. Many other well managed trails around, it would seem, great! We're finding homes with a bedroom in the lower floor and with easy access are not the usual. I guess we'll end up adding a ramp and a bit of room rearranging. Any thoughts regarding handicapped-accessible matters and Franklin? I'm afraid the news won't be too good...

5) Is there a hidden market for "camps," that being the semi-derelict cabins by a lake, so common in Maine? What we have seen in real estate listings are fancy places, almost "homes." We were considering one of those as primary residence, but they're crazy expensive, or, when affordable, just not quite designed for a a year-round home. I guess that kind of things that probably are "not quite legal" require to build connections and be there and walk and see. However, you might have some advice.

6) I guess this one is just a rant, but what's with cable and internet? I mean, it's 2020 and there's no cable and internet in Franklin!

7) how bad is well water in the Franklin area? I guess that's too general, even a mile might make a difference, but, perhaps there's some general knowledge that the whole are is as bad as Florida, or perhaps not and it's pristine and fabulous. Do you know?

note: the questions above sounds on the side of not too positive. Let me stress big time that pretty much everything else that I have read and found, including regulations, is hunky dory or whatever you say in New Hampshire when things look A-OK, and thus I don't need to ask questions (perhaps I should?). I am not afraid of driving a few miles on a sometimes congested road to Tilton, or even to Concord as necessary, doing my part to kill local businesses . Being able to cut and use up to 20 cords of wood (wow! that's a lot of fireplaces) in my land without permit is a-ma-zing and will be put to good use. I hope to invite you soon to some outstanding home-baked bread, the way we did it in our farm in my younger years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 12:20 PM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
"Franklin looks rather, ahem, mostly dead?"

That sums up Franklin pretty nicely. I wouldn't expect any "revitalization" to actually occur in the near future, and it's not a place that I would expect a retail paper business or a computer consulting business to thrive unless you expect to attract clients from elsewhere.

The state website has a lot of general info for prospective residents.
https://www.nh.gov/residents/index.htm

Old 10-28-2020, 10:08 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Why Franklin? There are numerous other communities in NH to consider that most would deem more desirable than Franklin.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:45 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,760 times
If I was to choose between only Tilton or Franklin to live in, I personally would choose Franklin as I like woods. I wouldn't expect much out of the town though. IMO, both are old dead mill towns. Tilton simply lucked out by having I93 and US3 run through it making it convenient to build shopping centers which brings in the tax money. How is that brewery in Tilton? Kettlehead?

Old 10-28-2020, 11:29 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Paper is usually made from wood pulp. Would you process wood into pulp and then into paper? How large a facility would you need? Do you require process steam? Franklin is serviced by Liberty Utilities for natural gas but unknown is how extensive the gas lines are. What will you do with the byproducts of paper making?

You have an incredible life story (if true).

Old 10-29-2020, 12:07 PM

Hey KCZ! Alas, City-Data says I "must spread more Reputation around" before I give more to you. I appreciate your answers all over this forum. Thank you, in my name, in that of others looking for facts and opinions.

Well, thanks, ahem, I wouldn't want my future neighbors to know I don't see their place as the hub of action but I have no problem with people who believe in minding their own business, I'm that way myself a lot.

Yes, my computer work is remote, and except for one major contract in ATX (Austin, Texas), pretty much all my handmade paper clients are non-local. The lack of high speed internet in Franklin makes me a bit concerned, for that reason, but what I've seen (25 MPS) is "good enough." So "I'm good" in those respects, but thank you for asking the hard questions.

I didn't know about the website you mention, I'll be taking a look shortly, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
"Franklin looks rather, ahem, mostly dead?"

That sums up Franklin pretty nicely. I wouldn't expect any "revitalization" to actually occur in the near future, and it's not a place that I would expect a retail paper business or a computer consulting business to thrive unless you expect to attract clients from elsewhere.

The state website has a lot of general info for prospective residents.
https://www.nh.gov/residents/index.htm

Old 10-29-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Why Franklin? There are numerous other communities in NH to consider that most would deem more desirable than Franklin.

Good question, gf2020. I guess essentially it's its affordability. I guess it goes with the territory: "more desirable" spots are more expensive. This of course played an enormous role for my relatives. BTW, their offer was accepted, so the the rest of us "are committed" to Franklin or environs.

I have become fascinated with the fact that Franklin is at the very meeting point of Lakes, Upper Valley, Merrimack "regions", so it's all of those, but neither... The farthest point that normal "Lakes" tourists would go to, too far to be practical to commute to Boston. OTOH, in the middle of all of it, close enough to my usual stores, and to opportunities of Dartmouth, etc, while not being run over.

Call me somewhat lacking in people skills, I am starting to feel excited by a place where there is an established sense to keeping to oneself. Therefore, respectfully I can join those that will let me join, knowing we keep our distances. Maybe I am a Frankliner without knowing it? (I am also one of those "born elsewhere" Austinites, so adapting to another culture is just part of what I do)

Old 10-29-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
If I was to choose between only Tilton or Franklin to live in, I personally would choose Franklin as I like woods. I wouldn't expect much out of the town though. IMO, both are old dead mill towns. Tilton simply lucked out by having I93 and US3 run through it making it convenient to build shopping centers which brings in the tax money. How is that brewery in Tilton? Kettlehead?

abnfdc, ditto. I'll have to find out how to be a useful helper to someone making maple sirup! About that brewery, I'll find out for you, and raise a pint in your name, when I get a chance. Thanks.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:47 PM

Default About papermills for handmade paper, and a waterwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Paper is usually made from wood pulp. Would you process wood into pulp and then into paper? How large a facility would you need? Do you require process steam? Franklin is serviced by Liberty Utilities for natural gas but unknown is how extensive the gas lines are. What will you do with the byproducts of paper making?

You have an incredible life story (if true).

Hi Wells5!
Actually, I mostly make 100% cotton with buffer, archival paper.
So, not wood, normally. I did some sulphite early on, and it was excellent paper (some of the best i've ever made), but I used already prepared pulp. I just happens that 100% cotton paper sells better, and, strangely, costs just a very little more in terms of materials. I buy my pulp as "half-stuff," which saves me a heap in labor and power.

If I had my dream facility (possible, but not holding my breath), I would say 500 sq feet with heat would be awesome, plus some 300 sq feet or so of a drying shed or loft without need for heat (actually needs ventilation). If I had my greatest dream, this would have a water stream powering a water wheel.
Every single paper mill for hundreds of years was run by water wheels, all through the era before the continuous-belt machines took over, in that time 1350s-1750s when all paper was made by hand (The USA went 99.9% machine-made paper by the 1870s, from 100% hand-made a hundred years before, now 90%+ of our bleached paper is made in factories in China or elsewhere).
Right now, there is not a single water wheel used for paper making in the Americas, nowhere, and only 4 or 5 in the world (this not counting a couple dozen museums, I'm talking only of places where they make paper with some regularity. Using motors, there are perhaps 25 papermakers by hand in the USA, including one arts school, and about 800 serious hobbyists or artists or arts schools where they make paper as a demonstration, and thousands of people exploring the craft or hobby).
Imagine that I manage to convince the Town Fathers of Franklin to allow me long-term lease for the location and whatever variances would be necessary to run a water wheel. That place would become the only paper mill in the country, in the whole continent, where paper is made using renewable power, with a waterwheel, and a stamper! Besides actual paper production, and a couple jobs being opened (maybe more jobs later, but let's stay realistic), this would be "the place to go to" if you are an arts student, a serious hobbyist in the field, even just a tourist curious about what a "paper mill" was like since the 1350s until the 1800s, of which not a single one has survived in our country. Even without counting the benefits of tourism, this means at a minimum 150+ overnight visitor-days per year just because we have a working waterwheel in town - several-day workshops do attract papermakers IF THE OFFER IS DISTINCTIVE ENOUGH. Which is the whole point about a waterwheel paper mill! Unique, very very. Etc.
Notice how this would fit the whole "water park" concept that is the spearhead of the revitalization! Envision the kayaks of the water park running by a working waterwheel in the background! Photo-op galore!
Of course, a total non-sequitur if I try to do that by my lone self, the investment would be beyond my means. But done as a win-win, together with Franklin, then it's not yet a sure thing, but at least does become possible.
Where I come from (of the several places I come from...), we have an expression, "like a dog with two tails," to talk about being very very happy and satisfied.
That would be me, as a papermaker, if I had a waterwheel...

Like a puppy wagging two tails. Hmm, not a bad name for the business, "Two-Tail-Puppy Papermill." I like. If I pull it off, you are invited for the opening, Wells5 and all of you, and any time.
BTW, let's define "paper mill." A paper mill for handmade paper is a facility with two or more vats being used for regular production. Maybe there are 4 of those in the country right now, but I doubt that many. 40 in Europe? Even those of us doing "production," generally use only one vat at a time (I have 6 vats for demonstrations and performances, but only use one at a time for my regular production work). The one US school that does teach hand papermaking for real, the University of Iowa, only has one, also. Thus, more a "workshop" or "laboratory" rather than a "paper mill." Right now I operate in a carport in ATX, 19 ft by 10 ft. In winter I had to break the ice in my vat to be able work , fixed it with an aquarium heater. Of course that would not be enough in Franklin .

I guess that your question about the byproducts is about pollution and contamination?
As I mentioned elsewhere, I like people who ask the hard questions - we all need that kind of people, helps in keeping us all honest. Thank you.
Modern industrial papermills are horribly polluting. This has to do more than anything with pulping trees - very harsh chemicals are used for "cooking," then rinsed. This also needs lots of energy. That's why we let China and India make the paper we buy and use in the richer countries, where we care for OUR environment, right?
Alas, some hobbyists and even pros here also believe in using harsh chemicals - May I say that I don't get along too well with them?
One, you don't "need" those harsh chemicals, if you will have patience and let nature do its thing. I've made some hemp paper "the old-fashioned way," by letting the fiber ferment. The way it was done for hundreds of years, thousands if you count China. What you end up with as "byproduct" is fabulous organic fertilizer. You don't want to do this inside the house, smells less bad than sauerkraut, but it does smell a bit. Maybe like a brewery, after all, it's a fermentation taking place. Two, there's the waste of water involved in rinsing, even if you dispose of those chemicals properly. Here in Texas we must be mindful of the water we use and waste, and everywhere we must be mindful of the chemicals we dispose of.
Bottom line, sustainable paper is possible, but obviously is more expensive than just raping the environment. That higher price is why the market for handmade paper is small. Add US labor costs, it gets expensive, no way to compete with China (though my handmade paper prices are similar to machine-made finer grades imported from Europe). Hemp would be a good alternative, but, strangely, the fiber is still outrageously expensive in the US, even though mother and dog are nowadays planting cannabis everywhere (not yet in NH, but supposedly the University is allowed to, already). What are they doing with the fiber is a mystery. Same in Canada, they set up a plant with a huge subsidy, it seems it never took off (they had some industrial code issues, but then it seems it just stayed closed).
Cotton is "pretty good," considered the cat's meow among artists, but that;s because they haven't met hemp paper. Hemp paper is simply the best. The cotton pulp I use comes from leftover cuttings from t-shirt and bluejeans factories, pulped by a factory in Ohio. (Franklin, of all places. This must be good luck). They do the "dirty work" of being compliant with code and environment, and they do it well. I merely repulp, and then pull the paper, a sheet at a time. Lovely. I would be "able" to make pulp, organically, if I so desired. Not a good idea in Austin, water is too expensive, you still need to rinse your organic fermented pulp, the rinsing water being fabulous to water plants with.

Let me insist that I am grateful about you keeping an eye on things being done right. If the mill towns went boom and bust, losing jobs and etc., it had to do with a lack of responsibility, people "did not care" enough about polluting, until it was so bad that something HAD to be done. We needed people who cared, then, we need them now.
About that last line of yours, , you ain't seen much yet! Nah, I'm just normal folk who has been blessed with way more than my share of the good things in life. That did not include much money, but enough, mostly it had to do with having loving parents who REALLY cared for their kids' education. Who believed in making things happen, by our own effort, and spread joy to others as much as we can, then I was on my own to follow through. Anywhere in the world, be it Texas, be it New England, be it the several countries I've called home, there's people like I, or like my parents. I would dare say that this forum has its share, too, of self-starters that care. A nice place.

Last edited by Apapermaker; 10-29-2020 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-29-2020, 02:43 PM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
It's maple syrup. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire