Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 12:13 PM

352 posts, read 225,397 times

Advertisements

Not all freedoms are comfortable to everyone. Blocking select freedoms means blocking freedom in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 12:15 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
Not all freedoms are comfortable to everyone. Blocking select freedoms means blocking freedom in general.
not all freedoms are really freedom, some are sexual slavery in disguise

Old 01-17-2020, 04:15 PM

343 posts, read 353,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Freedom, also comes with consequences.. Using myself as an example, currently there is no helmet law, if a helmet law is passed I am still free to not wear one, I will however either have to pay a fine for doing so. I can also choose to refuse to pay that fine in which case I may be incarcerated on something like contempt of court. These women chose to disobey the law, they also chose civil disobedience to make a point, they took it to court and lost. For sound and logical reasons, the same way anyone would lose for any public display of nudity. Now, if I really have to explain why they lost then it would be a waste of time to do so because if one cannot figure it out on their own then explaining it would be futile.
"Freedom, also comes with consequences,"
While I understand your point, I've never been a fan of the train of logic you are using here.

following your definition of consequences for freedom, I technically have the freedom to do whatever I want wherever I want. I have the freedom to steal a flag in North Korea and throw rocks at their supreme leader, or go to Kuwait and run topless through the streets yelling expletives about how Allah is a phony. You just have to pay the (legal) consequences of your choice in those particular 'freedoms'. Why do we call the U.S. the land of the free when according to your example, you have the same level of freedom everywhere in the world?

Laws and 'legal' consequences flatly state you do not have that particular freedom. If you conduct that act, a group of people self appointed as having authority over you will take away the few freedoms you do actually have.

Real freedom comes only with natural consequences. Being able to choose not to wear a helmet and not have to worry about the law. the only consequence (natural by default) is the 'watermelon' effect should you hit something at high speed.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:07 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
What are the real chances of NH becoming a nanny state like NY over the next 40 or so years (my expected life span)? We just returned from a trip up your way and we love it. I will never use my vote to increase taxes or demand services beyond basic fire, police, decent schools and road maintenance. I want to move to a place where guns laws consist of “don’t shoot anyone for no reason” and end there. But I am afraid that running is futile and that maybe I should just stay here where I already know how to game the system to my advantage. How bad is the outlook, without exaggeration?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-19-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What are the real chances of NH becoming a nanny state like NY over the next 40 or so years (my expected life span)? We just returned from a trip up your way and we love it. I will never use my vote to increase taxes or demand services beyond basic fire, police, decent schools and road maintenance. I want to move to a place where guns laws consist of “don’t shoot anyone for no reason” and end there. But I am afraid that running is futile and that maybe I should just stay here where I already know how to game the system to my advantage. How bad is the outlook, without exaggeration?
I am afraid the outlook is sad, not only for NH but for our country in general but then it is fully expected and pretty much non stoppable, these things need to come to pass

Old 01-20-2020, 07:39 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I learned recently that NH is actually a blue state, so I guess not more live free or die left. Though of course it has been eroded away since the 90s decade.
I guess live tax free or die or no seatbelt would disappear before we no it. Glad we have a good governor who would veto these but for how long. I be curious whether the governor would end the prohibition on lane filtering which I am surprised live free or die no helmet state is one of those states with such a provision specifically banning this practice.

The good thing about NH at least that’s what I was told is that New Hampshire cities don’t have as much power as some other states even some red ones ie Texas, Arizona to start their own patchwork of nanny governments. Meaning that city councils are limited in start their own movements ie passing their own seatbelt/helmet laws or new taxes on grocery checkouts within their municipalities , as that’s usually how agenda’s are pushed until the state gives in making it impossible to vote with your feet.

Alas as Crazy Dave mentioned it’s taking over the country and even the world. As many of the world’s equivalent of conservative or red state like countries are no longer so as of 2018 with significantly more progressive politician majorities who think that they must adopt any movements that is UN or international community trendy to avoid losing face as a country especially when they host international events. Of course the progressive ones have been the majority since 2010.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I learned recently that NH is actually a blue state, so I guess not more live free or die left. Though of course it has been eroded away since the 90s decade.
I guess live tax free or die or no seatbelt would disappear before we no it. Glad we have a good governor who would veto these but for how long. I be curious whether the governor would end the prohibition on lane filtering which I am surprised live free or die no helmet state is one of those states with such a provision specifically banning this practice.

The good thing about NH at least that’s what I was told is that New Hampshire cities don’t have as much power as some other states even some red ones ie Texas, Arizona to start their own patchwork of nanny governments. Meaning that city councils are limited in start their own movements ie passing their own seatbelt/helmet laws or new taxes on grocery checkouts within their municipalities , as that’s usually how agenda’s are pushed until the state gives in making it impossible to vote with your feet.

Alas as Crazy Dave mentioned it’s taking over the country and even the world. As many of the world’s equivalent of conservative or red state like countries are no longer so as of 2018 with significantly more progressive politician majorities who think that they must adopt any movements that is UN or international community trendy to avoid losing face as a country especially when they host international events. Of course the progressive ones have been the majority since 2010.
coming quickly

Old 02-12-2020, 05:19 AM

20 posts, read 12,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post

I would be interested in how many of population now is comprised of people who have moved in from place like NY, CT, and MASS.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:55 AM

74 posts, read 36,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
I would be interested in how many of population now is comprised of people who have moved in from place like NY, CT, and MASS.
Bingo....they move here to escape high taxes and intrusive government,then they vote to bring it hear.Same thing that happened to Vermont

Old 02-12-2020, 06:01 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
We also have a problem with our college students who are from out of state, but allowed to vote in NH. IMO all out of state students should be voting by absentee ballots in their home states. They are transient part time residents and should not be allowed to represent NH with their votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire