Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,268 times

Advertisements

800 sq ft home +-50 sq ft
No heat tape on pipes
No dishwasher
No washer
No dryer
No garbage disposal
No outside lighting
100 amp service from the utility pole
according to Eversource I am using every bit of $400 a month

friend who live roughly 10 minutes away
2500 sq ft home
Has washer / dryer
Has dishwasher / garbage disposal
Has hot tub
Has 2 car garage
Has outside floodlights
200 amp service
according to Eversource he is using every bit of $400 a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 07:41 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,677,667 times
Question Considered tracking your power usage?

How do you heat the house? Fuel source, hydronic, forced air, etc? How do you get hot water?

What does Eversource's historical tracking show?

There are a number of options to monitor your power usage in real-time and/or keep a record of usage over time. For example, there's a MA startup, "Sense" which sells a power tracking package (I have no direct experience with Sense)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuEkX-aKME

Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
You left out the most important pieces of information...heat, hot water, type of cooking devices, age of home, insulation, number of people living there, age of other appliances, changes in usage over time, and are you and your friend on the same rate plan. Ask Eversource if they can do an energy audit for you.

It sounds to me like you both have electric heat. My household is closer to your friend's in size, I use oil, and my electric bill is $150/mo max on Liberty Utilities, whose rates are only 17% less than Eversource's,

Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 PM

Lightbulb Get a cordwood or pellet stove, use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You left out the most important pieces of information...heat
. . .
It sounds to me like you both have electric heat.
Good point. Electric heat (and differences in heat loss, insulation, air sealing), could explain the bill.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
Electric bills are based on use. So if you use a lot of electricity, your bill will be high. If you use very little, your bill will be low.

Size of house doesn't matter.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 AM

28 posts, read 26,469 times
How many kilowatt hours are you using? How many is he using? That's the key metric, not how big the house is. My 3000 sq ft house in Thornton (oil heat) uses on average 550 kwh a month and my monthly bill averages $100. We are on NHEC which I've heard is more expensive than Eversource. But, my "fully loaded" electric costs about 22 cents per KwH. How much is yours?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:57 AM

Post Eversource's supplier charge is 9.985 cents/kWh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSkierGolfer View Post
We are on NHEC which I've heard is more expensive than Eversource. But, my "fully loaded" electric costs about 22 cents per KwH. How much is yours?
Ouch. My most recent bill from Eversource came out to 18.5¢ per kWh "fully loaded" (just dividing the bottom line total by usage).

Old 04-26-2019, 12:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,404,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSkierGolfer View Post
How many kilowatt hours are you using? How many is he using? That's the key metric, not how big the house is. My 3000 sq ft house in Thornton (oil heat) uses on average 550 kwh a month and my monthly bill averages $100. We are on NHEC which I've heard is more expensive than Eversource. But, my "fully loaded" electric costs about 22 cents per KwH. How much is yours?

And, to think the wife just complained about an 800kw bill = $75 on nuc power in GA!

Old 04-27-2019, 07:11 AM

386 posts, read 399,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
And, to think the wife just complained about an 800kw bill = $75 on nuc power in GA!

The cost of electricity in the northeast is among the highest in the nation because too many people practice the Not In My BackYard philosophy. They scream about the nuc's and when they shutdown they oppose any new construction and then complain about the cost of power. Shoreham was the worst example of this, but if you look around we are down to only a few nuc's left.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
You left out the most important pieces of information...
Nothing more from the original OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
The cost of electricity in the northeast is among the highest in the nation because too many people practice the Not In My BackYard philosophy. They scream about the nuc's and when they shutdown they oppose any new construction and then complain about the cost of power. Shoreham was the worst example of this, but if you look around we are down to only a few nuc's left.
Correct. Mention the Northern Pass and world's will collide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire