Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:12 AM

384 posts, read 398,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Maybe it looks different to a lifetime resident? Compared to where I moved from, my tax bill isn't that high, and in New Hampshire I don't have sales tax or state income tax. Yes, the hotel and restaurant meals taxes are high, but mostly affect tourists.

I couldn't agree more. Coming from CT, the move to Sandwich, NH is almost living free !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
I couldn't agree more. Coming from CT, the move to Sandwich, NH is almost living free !!!
Me too. Coming from NYC, the tax situation is a dream!

Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 AM

17 posts, read 23,599 times
Thanks for the points of view. Getting the perspective from a lifelong resident is helpful. However, being a native NYer, I especially appreciate the feedback on people who come from NYC and such areas.

Property taxes in NH and their corresponding rents may be high, but please keep in mind that I am coming from an area from which if you want a decent commute to work, you are shelling out about 2K a month or more.

I have a really good deal on my rent in Queens. But, the commute to Manhattan is awful. I used to crash with an old girlfriend who had a 3rd floor walkup in an old building in midtown. She paid 1900 and that was considered a bargain for a 1 bedroom in that area.

Of course, in NYC, one does not need a car and that saves some cash. But, I would imagine that insurance and gas prices can't be that expensive in NH (if I am wrong, please tell me). If so, and if I could find a small apt for a 1K or under in a decent neighborhood, I think I may be ok. Or no?

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:15 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
New Hampshire has among the lowest car insurance rates in the USA. On the East Coast, the only state with cheaper insurance is Maine. Gas prices are about average. Find a good price on an only slightly rusty used Jeep or Subaru with AWD so you can really fit in with the locals.

Around here, "a decent commute to work" often means driving down to Boston or elsewhere in Massachusetts, so you'll find lower rents as you get further from the interstate highways. I'd plan on spending closer to $1200/month for an apartment in a nice neighborhood in Manchester, with assigned covered parking and some utilities included.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks. 1200 seems a bit higher than I thought considering that I would be taking a significant cut in pay.

If you're lucky you can find spots in Queens for that much that are within a half hour commute to midtown.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM

What about Nashua and the surrounding parts? Is Nashua more expensive than Manchester?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:48 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
You can find cheaper places in Manchester, but generally they will be in less desirable neighborhoods, and won't include covered parking. Keep in mind that even the worst neighborhood in Manchvegas isn't life-threateningly bad, we're talking about a city where 4 murders per year is a bad year.

Best bet is to spend a long weekend in the area, maybe use Airbnb, see if you even want to live in Manchester or Concord?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 PM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
Check out Keene, as well. Close to Brattleboro and I-91.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 PM

cool..thanks.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:25 AM

147 posts, read 268,762 times
I would figure Portsmouth would be more for the ex-NYC person.....more artsy and foodsy types there. Definitely more liberal, but that is a whole different subject. Very walkable downtown.....not huge. What 20000 people in Portsmouth. I think its a pretty great little town.....something to at least check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire