Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,299 times

Advertisements

Just moving back to New England after many years away as my transfer to Concord just came through. I'm looking for a walkable community with nice dining and trendy shops my wife and daughter will enjoy. Work will be keeping me busy, so low maintenance (like an all-inclusive development) within an easy drive on Concord is what I'm going for. What are your suggestions for:

1) Downtown Concord - anything nice for under $500K?

2) Suburban Concord

3) Greater Manchester - the best of both worlds?

4) NH living in general

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 02:56 PM

835 posts, read 2,882,196 times
I would love to refer you to Londonderry where our home is for sale, but since you're looking in the Concord area that would be quite a drive. Sooo....wanted to let you know that we personally visited these models and were quite impressed....BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure Val will be replying soon with her knowledge of these homes, as well as others in the Concord area. Good luck!

Lamontagne Builders (Bedford,NH)

Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,977,660 times
My last post before retiring for the night
SoxFan, isn't it great to be moving back to New England? I remember when I moved back here from the St. Louis area, we were SO EXCITED to be going back HOME where we belonged!! Congratulations, and it's a great time especially for sports fans, with the BoSox just winning the world series, and the Pats remain UNDEFEATED!

OK, back to your questions. If you decide to consider Londonderry, I can vouch that Dinalkulp's house in Londonderry is a nice house, nice neighborhood (no I'm not the agent selling it, but I know families that live in the area). However, Londonderry is about 45 minutes from Concord, and unfortunately isn't very walkable. It sounds like you may be looking for a place where you won't be spending all your free time mowing lawns, climbing ladders, and fixing/maintaining the house. A neighborhood of detatched condo's might work well for you. These homes are single-family houses that include all maintenance on the exterior of the home, for a monthly association fee. Some neighborhoods include landscaping as well.

There are some beautiful towns in the Concord area, however, the cities of Concord and Manchester will offer the most in terms of shopping, socializing, etc. Manchester or Bedford are probably within 30 minutes of Concord, and both have some very nice detatched condo neighborhoods. Lots of shopping in both Manchester and Bedford, both have malls (Bedford Mall, Simon Mall/Mall of NH in Manchester) plus Manchester with its downtown, tons of restaurants, shopping, etc. Bedford is more "drive here and there", couple of more upscale shops in stripmalls, Talbots, etc. For the real shopping excursions, head to the coast-Portsmouth and Newburyport MA for some great little shops, one-of-a kind items, etc. A real treat!!

This from the Chamber of Commerce website: A revitalized downtown Concord brims with historic buildings and statuary, and offers a variety of specialty shops, cafes, and restaurants. Even the alleys, squares and side streets are fun to explore. Handmade clocks, gourmet foods, books, music, clothing, antiques, crafts and mountain bikes are just a few examples of the variety of goods you’ll find. Downtown Concord Inc. schedules a number of special shopping events throughout the year, including Market Days in July and Midnight Merriment for the holidays.
Of course there is the usual mall stores at Steeplegate Mall, and lots of stores (not "trendy" but stores nonetheless along Loudon Road, etc.

Not sure if schools are a consideration for you. If so, a word of caution. Many homes are listed within the MLS as Concord when in fact they do NOT use Concord schools.

If I can help, please let me know. I try to check in around here once or twice each day

Last edited by Valerie C; 11-04-2007 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 05:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
alyjough I do not like small lot city living I can recommnd the in town (walk to downtown) neighborhoods in Concord. There are some stunning houses in that city as well as sorts of post WW2 semi suburban dwellings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire