Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a very drafty and cold house "heated" with hard coal. The only warm room was the kitchen because the stove also burned hard coal. We also had a shop and I eventually built a forge and used everything from hard coal to lump and natural charcoal. The anthracite was ok to bring metal to red hot for bending and forging but the charcoal worked better for white hot hammer welding. When I used hard coal the welds became brittle. My step father was too cheap to buy proper low sulfur and phosphorus bituminous forging coal. I made do with what I had. I am very unlikely to ever do any more blacksmithing because my hands don’t work so well anymore. That is OK because getting older is better than the alternative.

If I ever move out of this condo I will probably have a coal stove or heater of some kind. IMHO fire wood is for decorative fireplaces or cooking outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM

497 posts, read 954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I never like wood pellets because if the power goes out the pellets stoves don't work....

I would not want any stove type that must have power to work no matter what it burned.

If power runs some minor accessory that you can live with out a few weeks, that's one thing, but power goes out in New England all the time, and for hours, days, and weeks.
Exactly.

When we bought our home, the previous owner swapped out his Vermont castings green enamed stove for a pellet. It worked very well, but no power, no heat.

I bought a used wood/coal stove and moved the pellet to a room that would not have to be inhabited in a power outage.

Quote:
Carroll County has had a number of ice storms that took out power in NH. The last took it out into Canada and NY state, with all of NE. I live in rural areas and have seen the power be off for more than 14 days here.
Again, on the money.

OP:

Bite the bullet if you have to and get a dry cord or two now, and in spring load u p on green would that will be burnable in fall.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:34 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,148,457 times
my generator does very well running the pellet stove when the power is out.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
+1, it's just another must have livin' in the woods.

No power, no well pump, no pellet stove, and for those without alternative fuel, no heat!
Alternative lighting goes hand in hand with preparing for the power to drop out.
No well pump could very well [no pun] mean no flush too in some instances.....ewwwwwwwww.
I've some undeveloped acreage next door, and have been 'thinning' the dead/dying trees to add to my stockpile. Every little bit helps.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,996,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
Exactly.

When we bought our home, the previous owner swapped out his Vermont castings green enamed stove for a pellet. It worked very well, but no power, no heat.

I bought a used wood/coal stove and moved the pellet to a room that would not have to be inhabited in a power outage.

Again, on the money.

OP:

Bite the bullet if you have to and get a dry cord or two now, and in spring load u p on green would that will be burnable in fall.
NH Guy, You can see where i was living during the last ice storm easy..... Go to the Pizza Barn off Rt 16 in West Ossipee and take the dirt mountain road across the street to the end of Marbel Farm Rd. The last place on the right is where i was living back then.

It is a 6 mile trip into the caldera one way. Behind Connor Pond there is a public parking lot in 3 seasons, maybe 4 if you have 4x4 abilty. That pond is a deep vent like Big and Little Dan Hole Ponds are.

Even thought he power was out from 2 weeks that time i was snug as a bug in a rug and mostly out helping people. I ended up with 5 letters of thanks from assorted companies.

Too bad you lost that Vermont Castings in green... Those are sweet stoves. other than you can really be burned badly on the ceramic coating.

Old XKE Jags had a ceramic coating on their exhaust headers which was a serious burn if you got tangled up on it... Just meaning i am very familiar with hot ceramic coatings.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
That's what one of my friends said during the first part of the ice storm, but then he couldn't buy gas and after a long trip to far away some where, his gennie bit the dust anyway.....

Where I am there is a propane fired gennie back up and it can run a week, but after that it is no go unless it can have more fuel. That gennie makes the shop more or less International timely, but after a week the shop and house are dead weight too.

That genni will run the whole machine shop and the house at the same time... never the less the shop is heated with a wood stove and the house could be.

I sorta snicker at guys who think like you and my friend do..... I just don't like to be dependent on anyone or anything..... Things go to Hell in a hand basket and the way I see things it just became party time.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
NH Guy, You can see where i was living during the last ice storm easy..... Go to the Pizza Barn off Rt 16 in West Ossipee and take the dirt mountain road across the street to the end of Marbel Farm Rd. The last place on the right is where i was living back then.

It is a 6 mile trip into the caldera one way. Behind Connor Pond there is a public parking lot in 3 seasons, maybe 4 if you have 4x4 abilty. That pond is a deep vent like Big and Little Dan Hole Ponds are.

Even thought he power was out from 2 weeks that time i was snug as a bug in a rug and mostly out helping people. I ended up with 5 letters of thanks from assorted companies.

Too bad you lost that Vermont Castings in green... Those are sweet stoves. other than you can really be burned badly on the ceramic coating.

Old XKE Jags had a ceramic coating on their exhaust headers which was a serious burn if you got tangled up on it... Just meaning i am very familiar with hot ceramic coatings.

How's the fishin in those ponds????

I know just where you speak of.

The loss of the VC stove was not a great one, as the pellet works well 99% of the time in my 3 season room. I built a big hearth for it.

In place of the VC I found a Consolidated Dutchwest Airtight series, with a catalyst for $500. she's a big old bear, but heats like a champion. Came with everythin', including the coal converter grates, and the steampot for the top!!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM

Fishin' in Dan Holes is good and Connor isn't any too bad either...

About the magazine rack.......... I think you need a trap door on the floor there with a lift from the cellar so you don't need to vacuum up on the carpet as often.

I know of a way in simple rails with a boat trailer hand winch you can make that happen if there is a cellar under that floor.

The hardest part to get in some old antique trunk to use as a wood box.

If that area has no space under it, and is a family room on a pad now yer sunk

Think it over... If the idea sounds interesting I will get up some pics. This unit is not where i live, but I know I can get pics of it.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM

I have just that....an antique wooden box, about the size of an older wire milk crate, that I store the day's wood in. In fact, I get about two days worth in the box. My spare wood sits in a woodring on my deck, under an overhang from the weather. All I need do is open my slider to retrieve more. The Rest, sits in my carport, sheltered from ANY weather, and stacked neatly.

As efficient as my stove is, I only use about 3 logs a day, and perhaps 2 big and 1 small overnight. As you know, the secret is banking it down for that slooooooooow burn. It's real efficient.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM

A funny story I think of mine, came to be in part because I would select out paper birch and any like birch as too dusty for in the house burning. In my barn in Bartlett there was another shop then, where birch and any dirty wood like partly punky could be used for heat. Well since I am also a Buck Skinner 1750 to 1840 hobbyist sort of guy i headed out to a rendezvous in southern Pa with a load of paper birch to use as camp wood.

I took my then horse too, and with her Farmington Spring Wagon

Early in the event one evening setting about in my camp 6 grown men came storming in demanding to know what plans I had for my wood. All of these guys were bigger than me, and i kinda was nervous and thumbed back the hammer on my flint pistol which was in my belt. The word i use as hammer is wrong but the right word would be nannied out.

One of them saw me do that and looked a bit shocked and asked why i was preparing to shoot..

I told them the wood was for my cooking needs,that they were not exactly welcome in my camp, and i wasn't letting my camp wood go with out a fight. At that point they all laughed at me for thinking they came to just take my wood and said they would trade it stick for stick with hickory and pay some cash on top of that so they could take home about 3 pieces each to put in their fire places as a year round decoration, and would never burn the wood so long as the bright white bark looked good.

We traded ok and i didn't take any money either. I just needed my camp wood for cooking. Back at that time i was new to Skinnin' and 6 big strange guys are always a little spooky to me.

OT: Would you happen to know of any strange rocks above the place that has a sign out for hypnosis? Hear say has it there is a prehistoric clock up there, and i would like to see it. A stonehenge sort of thing but smaller i might guess and more along Native built than of ancient Euro design.

I can only guess what it might look like and the area may well be so over grown no one could tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire