Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:26 PM

10,077 posts, read 15,786,317 times

Advertisements

Please keep all posts relevant to the subject of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,705,713 times
I visited Northern NH White Mountain area in the winter. (Winter sports) No jobs, Main roads very clean and open, Locals often had multiple jobs or lived with long term family, Isolated, Many areas & homes closed for the winter ( summer house type of state) And yes I would love to live there. You must have 4 wheel drive. Hint.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,725,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I visited Northern NH White Mountain area in the winter. (Winter sports) No jobs, Main roads very clean and open, Locals often had multiple jobs or lived with long term family, Isolated, Many areas & homes closed for the winter ( summer house type of state) And yes I would love to live there. You must have 4 wheel drive. Hint.

He he ....I don't have four wheel drive

Old 08-03-2012, 07:17 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,792,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Yeah... I'm looking into getting my wife a 4x4 Tahoe or something like that so that we'll have something for the winter. I love my truck and I've had very little need for 4x4 on it, but it is not a 4x4. No, sadly, it's about the worst type of vehicle for the winter... a 3500 heavy duty truck with single rear wheels, two-wheel drive, and 10-ply tires. I could get snow tires for it and swap them on every winter, but even at that, it's still two wheel drive with comparatively little weight over the drive wheels.

I don't mind rural and few jobs. Frankly, that's a pretty good scenario. Areas that are rural but have lots of available jobs wind up getting swamped with people, even if they're known for brutal winters... North Dakota has seen a lot of this lately with their oil boom. Your nice quiet rural area ain't so nice and quiet anymore when it gets overrun with gypsies who follow the boom & bust cycles from place to place. I know that's a heck of a thing to say when I myself am a proud gypsy... but you must admit, most gypsies bring problems with them such as drugs, alcohol, domestic violence, etc. I'm not one of them... so I like rural areas that are likely to stay rural. Besides, if I want a job, I can teach science or math at a school. That's my fall-back plan in case my wife and my "traveling musicians" dream doesn't work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire