Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,609 times

Advertisements

I'm in NH and my 1-yr lease ended 6m ago. However, I just picked up a cert. letter from my landlord saying along w/a rent increase and proof of renters insurance, I need to re-ennter into another 12 month lease. I was planning on moving after spring. I cannot find these laws googling. Does anyone know if he can legally make me do this (vs. moving in winter), instead of the month by month I was planning on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninsunshine View Post
I'm in NH and my 1-yr lease ended 6m ago. However, I just picked up a cert. letter from my landlord saying along w/a rent increase and proof of renters insurance, I need to re-enter into another 12 month lease. I was planning on moving after spring. I cannot find these laws googling. Does anyone know if he can legally make me do this (vs. moving in winter), instead of the month by month I was planning on?
Month by month leases are just that. If you want to stay longer than a month then sign a lease. I'm not sure if you can be forced to buy renters insurance but it's a smart thing to have. Most insurance policies for rental properties would not include any of your belongings in the event of fire, flooding, etc. Raising the rent after a year is typical especially if you opted not to renew a year lease.
On the other hand, if you continue you pay your rent and squat on the property by not leaving on your own accord, it would probably take until spring to get you evicted. The wheels of justice turn slow you know.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Negotiate with the landlord by responding to the letter with your proposal to stay for a few more months and agree with the increased rent and buy a short term renters insurance policy. The increased rent will only cost a bit more money. I would not sign the long term lease. Remember this is a business deal and not a personal vendetta. Yet.

Landlords in NH have very few restrictions on their actions. Renters are pretty much at their mercy.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,452,743 times
Just read this:

The Eviction Process | New Hampshire Legal Aid Community Website

One of the houses I live in, I rent. My lease expired over a year ago. In this marketplace, if you are a good tenant, pay your rent on time, and don't trash the place, most landlords consider it a blessing to have you live there. Most don't want to have negative cash flow on a house sitting empty (to the tune of $4K a month), or try to sell it in this economy as a firesale.

I don't understand the 'proof of renter's insurance', as that insurance protects your stuff, not the landlord's property. Perhaps it has to do with a failure in the house structure, caused by neglect of the landlord (bursting pipes, hot water heater failing, etc). I am no lawyer, so I don't know.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
SS 928 - good post. We own a condo and have seperate insurance for our "stuff" as the building is insured by the association.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 AM

885 posts, read 2,662,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I don't understand the 'proof of renter's insurance', as that insurance protects your stuff, not the landlord's property. Perhaps it has to do with a failure in the house structure, caused by neglect of the landlord (bursting pipes, hot water heater failing, etc). I am no lawyer, so I don't know.
Probably liability, i.e. If someone is injured in the property and the fault is with the renter.

OP: Negotiate with the landlord. They don't want to re-rent in the middle of winter either.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM

858 posts, read 1,809,226 times
What is strange in this case is that your lease expired 6 mo. ago and just now is the landlord requesting a new lease. Maybe he is afraid you might leave and wants to lock you down. Since I know for a fact that renters have very little protection in NH, the landlord probably can do that. I suggest you contact him and try to negotiate. I do not suggest getting evicted, that'd be really stupid.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Probably liability, i.e. If someone is injured in the property and the fault is with the renter.

OP: Negotiate with the landlord. They don't want to re-rent in the middle of winter either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"Probably liability, i.e. If someone is injured in the property and the fault is with the renter."

Possibly, but then the renter is the one taking the risk, not the landlord. Here in NH we don't need to carry car insurance (though personally I think anyone that doesn't is crazy). To be fair, if you don't carry insurance, you have to be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient means to cover yourself. (New Hampshire Statute RSA 264).

I am not sure if it is legal for the landlord to require you to show proof of renter's insurance (again I am not a lawyer), but my landlord did require a credit check to be run on me (which is fair).

Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 11,687 times
Our landlord in Portsmouth did this to us a few years back. We negotiated a shorter term, and ended up staying with family while we waited to find out where we'd get new jobs (post grad school graduation). I think it is up to the landlord. You can also offer to help find a tenant if you move out earlier. If your landlord's name is Nick, I feel your pain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire