Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,579 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from NY, and am now i'm in Orlando, FL for probably a year. I miss the north and am looking for a more affordable northern state (compared to NY). I'm looking to move closer to my best friend who lives in Amherst, NH, but I prefer to live near a city as I am looking to do some DJing. Are all parts of Mass expensive? Does anyone know of a reasonably affordable area close to NH, or vise versa? I heard maybe Nashua? Obv clean and safe is a concern as well. After crazy amounts of moving, I would like to do the settle down thing soon. I'm completely clueless and any tips would help out greatly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,904,518 times
Amherst is about equally inconvenient to both Nashua and Manchester. I suggest looking in both places. Try and stay west of the river to avoid traffic

Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,863,616 times
Amherst borders Nashua and it is about 20 minutes from here to Manchester, going through Bedford. Amherst is a great town for families with kids in schools. Not so much for single people or those without children looking for more excitement...
As for MA, housing along the NH border is about the same cost as southern NH, but you'd be paying MA state income taxes and other costs would be higher; car insurance for example...
Nashua might be the best bet. Close to Amherst and close to MA....

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,221,375 times
Liberal = MA
Libertarian = NH

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 56,625 times
Check out Haverhill, MA. It's on the New Hampshire border with easy access to routes 495 and 93. The downtown area has seen a very nice revival with beautiful loft apartments and/or condos in the old shoe factories. There is a lively downtown scene as far as restaurants and music and it is only a 30 minute drive into Boston or there is a commuter railroad station right in town that will bring you to Boston or even Portland, ME.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,973,650 times
If you're not dead-set on living in NH (which from you post, it sounds like you're exploring the area) Jaynek's suggestion of Haverhill MA is an excellent suggestion.

It's very affordable, as MA goes, with a huge variety of living styles. Multi family in some challenging neighborhoods... Lofts downtown... Stately mansions from a distinguished time gone by.... and everything in between.

The main concern is schools, which have been significantly challenged the last several years. Extracurricular (including music, sports, etc) have been cut to the bone, and while the HS has regained accreditation, it was in shameful condition for a few years.

Downtown Haverhill's 'historic' district has several good restaurants, with live music of varying styles (some live, some DJ) after dinner hour, and a very active downtown overall. Add in festivals (Christmas Stroll, Arts Festival, Children's Festival) And yes, as SgtHoskins notes, being on the MA side of the border, it's more liberal in feel and in politics than anywhere in New Hampshire.

I actually grew up in Haverhill (yep, I was a city girl!) and have only come to NH in the last 10 years.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 AM

477 posts, read 901,660 times
It's a trick question, right?

NH, all the way. The thought of living in MA is inconceivable to me.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,973,650 times
For you, me, and most of us here, the thought of living in MA in inconceivable. However, the op is looking for:

1) a more affordable northern state, specifically "a reasonably affordable area close to NH"
2) near a city to get DJ work
3) clean and safe

NH isn't for everyone, and there are already many folks who chose NH for the 'cheaper housing' and 'no income tax', then proceed to vote, live and play as though they were still living in (whatever place they left).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
It's a trick question, right?

NH, all the way. The thought of living in MA is inconceivable to me.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 6,700 times
New Hampshire is the best choice by far! I was born in NH, grew up and live here again. I lived in Mass. for the past 10 years unfortunately. Boston was fun for awhile, but that's about all I can say that's good for the Commonwealth.

A few reasons why NH is better:
Clean and beautiful towns
No Sales Tax, No Income Tax
Everything from groceries to gas is cheaper than Mass.
White Mountains
Lakes Region
Friendlier people
Relaxing Environment
Easier to get involved in community or politics

Mass. Problems:
Horrible Traffic
Dirty
Vacation areas are too crowded
Very high taxes
Very high prices on everything
Corrupt government
Rude people

Portsmouth, NH would be a great place to live.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM

491 posts, read 1,375,015 times
What if a person works in the high-tech/manufacturing industry? Then they should be prepared to for a long/slow commute down to Mass and be prepared to pay Mass income tax. Or just relocate to Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire