Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,194 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

I just moved from Florida to New Hampshire this year. Money suddenly got really tight, so I only have $200 to buy a whole winter wardrobe....I need help.

I found good boots at Walmart for $20. So I have $180 left. I need a coat and layers for underneath. I'm not looking for high fashion, just warmth. I can always update it later when I have more money.

I know this sounds impossible...but it's pretty much all I have to play with. Can anyone offer me some help and suggestions? What are the basics I need?

I've looked in thrift stores and will keep looking. And will probably be able to pick up a shirt here and there. I just need some guidance since it's starting to get really cold.

I was thinking either this coat or this one. My boyfriend said the first one wouldn't be warm enough? Do you agree or disagree?

Thank you so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,264,691 times
I would look around at the Salvation Army or Goodwill. You can usually find some good deals there.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,031,258 times
What you need depends on if you are a indoor girl and have a car, or you plan to be out doors a lot, waiting for bus.

I could create a nice long list of wool found cheap in thrift stores you might need, and or Army Navy Surplus, but that stuff is old fashioned. It is also outdoorsy and warm.

If you think there has been any cold weather yet, your likey to die soon anyway. This isn't even long sleeves weather yet.

If you have a car drive to Wolfboro and find Wickers outlett, where you can buy longies wicked cheap. It's poly pro 2nds, but who cares when no one will see it. They make that stuff for LL Bean, Wilson, and other big name companys. Wicked cheap is a dollar an item.

Walmart has no good winter clothing at any price. Get jeans there, buy no cottons for winter here.

Cottons Kill. That summer wear.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM

205 posts, read 949,249 times
Not sure where you are located but if you anywhere near Newington/Portsmouth or Nashua you definitely want to check out a store called "Savers". They have a website so check that out. Think Marshall's or TJMaxx except all the items are either slightly used (sometimes new items as well). All the clothing is clean, in good shape and very well organized by color/size, etc and cheap! I shopped the Newington store the other day and bought snow boots (new with tags for $7) a pair of name brand dress pants for $7 and a sweater for $6. I think it is quite possible to purchase some warm winter clothing for $200. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,987,731 times
Lyncecelia, both of those coats are cute, but no way will they keep you warm! I second Ken E's recommendation of the Goodwill or Salvation Army. There is a store on 3/28 in Hooksett that you can get some GREAT deals, GREAT brand names, WARM (wool) coats for cheap money. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and there was some nice LL Bean outerwear. Maybe in other places there is a stigma about shopping the thrifts, but remember you are in Yankee land now, and we're a thrifty bunch We HATE to throw things away, and some people are lucky enough to donate last seasons styles for others to purchase on the cheap. When you go there, you will see all sorts of upscale cars parked outside and well-dressed ppl shopping inside. Over the summer, my daughter bought a beautiful pair of $120 Harley Davidson ladies bike boots for $15, BRAND NEW, just needed shoe laces. Whoo hoo--she'll have these boots for YEARS longer than she would have a brand new pair of plastic Walmart boots. I'm just sayin'.....

Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,950,086 times
I agree with all of these suggestions. There is no stigma attached to buying used. For winter think Wool or Polar Fleece. There is a discount sock shop in the Kittery, ME outlet shopping area that has decent deals on wool socks. As Mac said, cotton is cold in winter. Wet cotton socks and real cold can ruin your feet. Same for gloves.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,065,387 times
You might also check out Building 19 1/2 in Nashua. They are pretty deep discounters and might have some good winter stuff now. But I will also join the club that suggests Salvation Army and Goodwill. There's a Salvation Army also in Nashua.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM

371 posts, read 1,165,204 times
You didn't mention whether or not you need work clothes or just everyday clothes.

On the everyday front, the only necessities (beyond your boots) would be a wool hat, warm/waterproof gloves and a down jacket.

Underneath, you can get away with a couple of sweaters layered over existing T-shirts.

You are correct layering works well. Because, while yes it is winter, there is still heat outside. You really only NEED protection from the elements. Indoors, just where your regular clothes and throw a sweater or fleece over it.

hats and gloves should be easy to find cheap (Walmart was a good stop)

For a Down Coat. I would splurge. You want at least 600 fill, preferably 700 or 800. Don't worry about the brand just look at the materials.

I would consider checking out discounts at an EMS or similar. I wouldn't be afraid of spending $50-$75 on the coat. Its much more important than what's underneath

Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 38,909 times
Sierra Trading Post.

All other retail is just foolishness.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,031,258 times
Val, How can you tell about the coats? I saw nothing to relate to what they could do in terms of warm.

I spend a lot of time outdoors in winter, most of every day. Once I found wool LL bean pants in a Salvation Army, as new with a broken zipper on the fly. They were cheap and I fixed the zipper.

You want wool or something like turtle fur if you can't wear wool, and with longies (long johns), wool socks 2 pairs at the same time in loose boots.

If you will be out all day long a longies top, a wool sweater, a light wool jack shirt, and a parka maybe unlined. Mittens, and a good head covering hat.

Look for down vests used and so cheap too. Fashion is the last thing to think about in winter, unless you hop from the house to a car, then into some office, and back out the same way.

There was ice in the bucket here this morning (27'), the rock pile (Mt Washington is covered in snow that won't be gone till Spring)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire