Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,421,710 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, going to hike Mt Willard tomorrow (Friday) for a day trip am leaving at 5:30am (no later than 6am) and going to be at Pollys Pancake parlor by 8-8:30 and then going to do the Cannon Mt Tramway at 9am.

I'm wondering if anyone has hiked Mt Willard before and how long I should allow time wise round trip. I wont spend too much time on the summit, just enough time for photos and such.
Also where is the trail head off 302? Is it easily noticeable, signage etc.?

Will eat at Pollys Pancacke Parlor int he morning and then head to Cannon Mtn for the tramway
when it opens at 9am

Are the Flume Gorge or Polar Caves worth doing?
How is the foliage in and around the Flume? Or is it mostly the flume/river you see? Thanks.

Also is the Clark's Trading post/Bear show worth doing?

How is the foliage up in Crawford notch/The Kanc, North Conway Area, and Frank Notch? (Franconia Notch).?? Is it still quite colorful?

I plan on hiking Mt Willard and then checking out the Albany Covered bridge and Bear Notch Road areas.

Are there any good waterfalls along the way to stop at and see, and/or other covered bridges? I heard the Jackson Covered bridge was worth a stop.?

Also does anyone know of a good pizza place or take out italaian type place or roast beef/sandwich shop in North Conway? Thats open late night?
Thanks!

Last edited by DreamworksSKG; 10-07-2010 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: have to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,998,527 times
Yer gonna be busy....... The Shannondoa Pub has good pizzias after 4 PM, in Jackson. North bound on Rt 16 pass the covered bridge and pass the road back into town on the far end, and bang a hard right up the steep driveway.

It's been a long time since I went up Willard. Old ladies can do it, so I guess figure an hour up and a little less down. Parking is between the Crawford House and the head waters of Saco lake a pond really. While parking look south thru the notch and on the left should be y elephant head. I left it right there and it should still be there high on the left. It has a white eye.

The flume is about rocks. It is a narrow boardwalk over and to the side of the river there, and is all about water and rocks.

I have been ill and not out much, but there is still colors to be had.

South bound on 93 there is the Basin, which I like to stop at any time I can. A short walk on a pved path does it.

Never seen the bear show. Some things in life I just don't do. The place is a spendy little trap IMO. A candy horders dream though.

In Lincoln is a Bill and Bobs for roast beef. Across from the Shell Station.

I guess take the kanc west to bear Notch, go to Jackson, thence take the river road in N Conway to the West Side Rd, thence Allens Crossing, or Side Track Rd to the covered bridge.

There is a covered bridge you can cross in Jackson on the way out just duck into town and you can't miss it getting back on Rt 16. You will miss the one you can drive on in Conway.

There is lots of water falls everywhere... You won't have time to do it all.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,048,997 times
not much of a mountain climber (you need Fishnfool for that!). As Mac said: the flume is pretty much about rocks. and water. narrow boardwalk to hike amid the boulders along the waterfalls and river. Polar Caves is also about the rocks: just like Lost River, it's a boardwalk/path along boulder jumble with fancy names for the jumbles you crawl around and through and stones with shapes.

Clark's Bears... more of a kid thing, or nostalgia if you used to go past it a lot. It's mostly some bears high up on platforms pulling up on a rope for a feeder can that you put stuff into (for a fee). There is supposed to be some sort of steam train that drives around a bit, but... really it doesn't sound like you have that much time, and unless you have a kid with you, you can probably skip it. Maybe drive past it on the highway (the bear platforms are visible from the road - at least they always used to be) and that would be enough.

I also agree with Mac about the Basin! I always take people there (for one thing, it's free!). nice path to the basin proper (a 40ft standing pothole carved by the Pemi), as well as a couple hiking trails heading up to the cascades. Nice little hike. I like it best in late May-early June when the Pemi is rushing and loud .

Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,456,623 times
All that stuff is great - especially the cold clean water along the basin trails. Take the trail to Lonesome Lake from the basin trail for some amazing scenery you will otherwise miss. Even if you go only part way up you can sit on the sloping rocks and take in the sights.
mmmm....Polly's! You can smell the bacon from down the roadand who can resist sitting on that red horse?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM

586 posts, read 1,507,953 times
My kids LOVE Polly's red horse! Been awhile since we've been up there...hard to do during soccer season...need to make a trip up there in mid-November, me thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire