Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:44 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times

Advertisements

I would like to thank anyone who gave me feedback about Littleton, NH! We went up there this weekend to check it out for ourselves. I think it's a nice small town, but much too rural for me and not somewhere I would be happy. Also we were not able to get much job information. It's all too cryptic for me. I am used to opening up a paper or searching online..This town only has a weekly paper.

I was told "It's building up." We did see Walgreens being built, but in the area there is only one supermarket, which 'must' get packed on weekends. Walmart is also there, and several chain places..(McDonalds, Pizza Hut).

We mainly saw people in their 60s and 70s around town, with the odd young couple. I hardly saw any children my son's age (8). I don't think there is that much for kids there to do. I think it would be a GREAT retirement place if you and your spouse/loved one like the cold weather. It's not cheap but there seem to be a lot of older folks hanging around. (and they all seemed to know each other!).

If anyone else wants to know more, they can IM me..

I am not insulting the town--it's just far too 'isolated' for me. We are still looking into NH, just not such a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2006, 09:09 AM

409 posts, read 1,748,237 times
I would love to know more. If you have anything else to say about it, I would like to hear it because this was one of the towns I was considering relocating to. Please IM me anything else. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 PM

I pmed you and if you want more info, I will be happy to share links I have about the area or in NH in general (or the NE).

Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Please post the info in the forum. We're planning a trip to New England this spring in hopes of finding a place to relocate, and Littleton is on our list of places to visit.

Rural and a lack of big box stores is just what we're looking for, but the lack of kids is a concern.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 AM

Mark, I am sure there are kids (maybe they were in camp or at a rec. center?).
There is one Elementary school outside town (not far, just up the road from the main road.). There is a Walmart, a Shaws (large supermarket). I was concerned about the 'one' supermarket for a whole town. In town there is a deli/market but it has prices like a deli (higher than a store, limited stock). It has a deli counter and you can also get a pizza there (it was actually okay pizza).

The area is VERY beautiful. We like nature, hiking and so on so if your family likes that, then it may fit your bill.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:50 PM

Any idea what the closest 4-year college is in relation to Littleton? Is it St. Johnsbury, VT, or is there something closer?

Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
Lyndon State College in Lyndonville, VT is the closest 4 year college with Plymouth State Univ. in Plymouth NH a close second.
Littleton has been really built up over the past few years. There is now a WalMart, Shaws, Home Depot, and a Lowe's on the way. Also, the chain restaurants are creeping in (Applebees, Ninety-nine). Who knows what is next. The local paper is the Caledonian Record (daily out of St. JOhnsbury) and the Courier (weekly out of Littleton).
There are kids around, don't worry! If you have kids, I would suggest looking into Monroe, NH - nice small town south of LIttleton. Your children would have the option of going to St. Johnsbury Academy which has an incredible reputation.
Good luck!

Old 08-20-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Lyndon State College in Lyndonville, VT is the closest 4 year college with Plymouth State Univ. in Plymouth NH a close second.
Littleton has been really built up over the past few years.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
There is now a WalMart, Shaws, Home Depot, and a Lowe's on the way.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Is there no place left in this entire country free of the #$&4 @*#*$&$ @*@&# $&*@*# !*@#*# community cancer of Wal-Mart???

Quote:
There are kids around, don't worry! If you have kids, I would suggest looking into Monroe, NH - nice small town south of LIttleton.
Do they have a Wal-Mart?

Quote:
Your children would have the option of going to St. Johnsbury Academy which has an incredible reputation.
Isn't that a really expensive private school?

Thanks again for the info!

Old 08-20-2006, 04:19 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
No, Monroe does not have a Wal-Mart. You ought to check out Vermont...there are only 4 in the whole state (Williston, Berlin,Rutland & Bennington).
Regarding St. Johnsbury Academy....it is a private school. BUT, since Monroe (and many VT towns across the border) does not belong to a high school district, they'll pay for your kids to be day students there (or any other local high school of choice). Same goes for living in St. Johnsbury, Barnet, & Waterford (all VT) to name a few. The school has a website so if you google it it'll come right up.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
No, Monroe does not have a Wal-Mart. You ought to check out Vermont...there are only 4 in the whole state (Williston, Berlin,Rutland & Bennington).
We had considered Vermont, but then we started seeing some fairly high crime stats, and even reports of gangs moving into places like Burlington, Rutland, and even some of the more rural communities. Are those reports exaggerated?

Quote:
Regarding St. Johnsbury Academy....it is a private school. BUT, since Monroe (and many VT towns across the border) does not belong to a high school district, they'll pay for your kids to be day students there (or any other local high school of choice). Same goes for living in St. Johnsbury, Barnet, & Waterford (all VT) to name a few. The school has a website so if you google it it'll come right up.
Hey, that's excellent. Thanks bunches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire