Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 10:11 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,336 times

Advertisements

With previous posts discussing various weather issues in Nevada, I thought I'd toss this in.

It looks like summer has come to Northwest Nevada. Today's high is slated for Sunny & 95 in Reno . . . but as they say it's a dry heat. I happen to think that's a nice day. It's much better than 95 with 90+% humidity, like is found in many other places in this land!

I find dry heat like that very pleasant. However, something more in the 80's is also nice. That's why I love Douglas County (Carson Valley), about 50 miles or so south of Reno. We're set for a high of 86 today. Again, it's beautifully sunny out this morning!

Contrast that with some other popular areas that people have discussed. How about Phoenix, AZ? They're set for 109 according to the news. I wonder what they'll reach when summer is in full swing.

How about Las Vegas, NV? They're supposed to get to 107 today. Thank goodness for those entertainment venues with their climate controlled fantasy environments.

So, I'm gald I've found my place in Northern Nevada, more specifically the Carson Valley. It's got lots going for it. Mild temperatures, beautiful scenary, 15 minutes to downtown Tahoe (Stateline) and the lake, green ranches filled with roaming cattle, and expansive views of gorgeous forests climbing the Eastern Sierra Nevada. It's hard to beat this place.

Hope y'all have a nice day today! If you're up in NW NV, be sure to get out and enjoy some of it.

Last edited by garth; 06-14-2007 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 AM

38 posts, read 161,970 times
Douglas County is very nice which explains why housing is way overpriced.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,607 times
i also love this valley but am afraid the ranches are really going to start disappearing. i have family pressuring me to move to the pac north west...and tho it is beautiful there to give up all the sunshine here...well u know

Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 AM

17 posts, read 127,617 times
Summer weather in this area is hard to beat. Waking up to cool weather, getting the warmth throughout the day, then cooling back down at night is the perfect recipe. Getting a little crowded, though.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:19 AM

203 posts, read 750,301 times
My question would be: "Does one have to be a millionaire to live there?"

Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 AM

17 posts, read 127,617 times
Low Roller,

IMO it is getting that way-fast. If you didn't buy your house before the "boom" then it is going to be quite expensive to buy one in this area. (Talking about W. Carson and the Carson Valley)

Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,336 times
Low Roller,

South of Carson City, down in Douglas County (aka Carson Valley), there's lots of people here who aren't millionaires. There's many nice, decent, clean, and safe neighborhoods where the housing prices are in the mid 200's to 300's.

I would guess most of them are in the under 2000 square foot area. The more established ones that come to mind are in Minden and there are other ones in Gardnerville, like the Chichester tract. Sycon, a builder, is also towards build-out on a new tract in Gardnerville. It's a nice looking tract of homes with a park in the middle of the houses.

Yes, there are many other homes approaching and well exceeding 1MM, especially if you consider that Douglas County goes all the way to the shores of Lake Tahoe and other houses in the valley can be rather large and are sitting on many acres. However, home prices have come down a little and I expect they may even relax a little more over the short term, even on the more modest houses.

So the answer is, "No," you don't need to be a millionaire to live here . . . yet.

Last edited by garth; 06-21-2007 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada