Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:31 PM

138 posts, read 468,582 times

Advertisements

I have heard that Nevada has great tax 'deductions' (I can't think of the proper term tonite- sorry), for people moving to the state. I have searched the site but cannot find something to this effect. Is there anything for disabled people? I would want to move to a small, safe, reasonable (I know that is a term that means different things to different people), place. I would look for a town from anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000 people, have a good healthcare near- both for my health, and possibly to work again in the future. Right now I have 20 acres, a 2,000sf home about 5 miles from town. I would like to downsize- maybe 1000sf home, 5-10 acres. ( I could easily live in a 700-800sf). My current home is paid for- I should be able to sell for $250-300,000. I have thought of building a steel building and putting an apartment in it- it would also have a barn (one or two stalls) in it. Or Maybe....I have a floorplan for 1300sf home, and build a small separate barn. I want simple, simple simple! I would love 'green' or solar (my current home is passive solar), but am worried about housing restrictions- so many will only let you build big homes. I don't want to live in an area that is 'trashy', either, because it has no restrictions! I no longer need a big home. I prefer a greener climate, as compared to the desert if possible. Right now I cannot work- maybe in the future... I am a registered nurse. What can you people suggest, if anything. Maybe this is an unrealistic goal, but I need to start looking. If you would prefer to pm me that is fine. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 11:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I never heard anything about tax deductions for moving to Nevada. There is no state income tax, but other taxes aren't really any bargain. Nevada isn't very green, so if that's your goal you might want to consider other areas - perhaps Oregon or Washington?

Old 05-18-2007, 11:49 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
I agree with what sleepy has said.

I sure didn't get any tax incentives when I moved to Nevada. Did I miss out on something?

True, not much green in Nevada. The state is mostly desert. Washington has no state income tax and Oregon has no sales tax. If you stay on the western portion of both states (west of the Cascades), you'll have plenty of green. The eastern portions of those states have terrain similar to parts of Nevada.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 17,793 times
yeh **** nevada , its really boring and depressing i dont know why you would want to move there

Old 05-19-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrry View Post
yeh **** nevada , its really boring and depressing i dont know why you would want to move there

*lol* ...but there are also reasons to WANT to move here. Look at all the people that are moving here. That should tell ya something.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-20-2007, 01:13 PM

203 posts, read 750,112 times
One caveat to anyone considering moving to Oregon or Washington state:

It's green there because the skies are almost always "cloudy all day."

VERY seldom does it really rain there, but I would guess at least 250 days a year it is gray, overcast - and drizzly. All day.

So it's the antithisis of Nevada.

It does have some absolutely beautiful green countryside - but at a cost.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:45 PM

2 posts, read 10,136 times
we live in oregon and are moving to nevada, tired of all the rain and gray skies. But lots of green thats what makes every thing green. snow flake

Old 05-22-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
One caveat to anyone considering moving to Oregon or Washington state:

It's green there because the skies are almost always "cloudy all day."

VERY seldom does it really rain there, but I would guess at least 250 days a year it is gray, overcast - and drizzly. All day.

So it's the antithisis of Nevada.

It does have some absolutely beautiful green countryside - but at a cost.

One thing to point out, Low Roller, is that the climate and terrain are totally different in western Washington and Oregon than they are on the eastern portions of those states.

Eastern Washington and Oregon almost look like parts of Nevada. Parts of eastern Washington and Oregon are extremely arid.

What you stated applies to the western part of those states.

And VERY seldom does it rain there??? Believe me, after living almost 50 years in the Seattle area, it sometimes does "feel" like it rains all the time! ...IMO, it DOES rain a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow flake View Post
we live in oregon and are moving to nevada, tired of all the rain and gray skies. But lots of green thats what makes every thing green. snow flake
Yup, me too, that's why I moved. Just got tired of it.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-22-2007, 01:07 PM

203 posts, read 750,112 times
'rocco,

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

In the four years I lived in Hillsboro, OR (near Portland,) I only remember one really heavy rain - all the rest of the time it was sprinkles and/or drizzle (which sometimes seemed like every day for months.)

It just doesn't rain (in OR, anyway) like anywhere else I've lived - where it rains hard for an hour (or several hours,) then clears up.

OR just seems like it's one endless gray day.

And I did forget to mention that eastern OR/WA is a lot different. Didn't get over there much, so was only thinking of the western halves of those states.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 PM

54 posts, read 140,761 times
Like someone had said earlier -no state tax but your other things are higher such as auto. My agent told me that since NV is a wet state (meaning alcohol is severed 24/7) that my rates will be higher. Also compared to CA where I use to live my utilities are higher in NV. I live in northern NV and its very cold in the winter and natural gas bill can run 200.+ for a 1700 sq. foot home. Health care in Reno is good, we choose to drive 2 1/2 hours to see doctors in Reno because they are better than where we live. The schools in Humboldt county are pretty good at the elementary level. I don't have older children so I don't know about the higher grades except for a high school teacher who was arrested for drugs recently. Food prices are higher than CA and our produce doesn't have much of a selection. The lifestyle in NV is very laid back. To free for my taste, friends of mine tell me stories about the swingers in town. There is a specific group of them and I have been warned by friends to stay away from them unless that is my "thing". All I can say is YUK and Disgusting!! Just a word of advise Really check it out before you make the move. I do hear that Gardnerville is nice perhaps because it is closer to CA. We are in the process of making moving plans. It won't be NV for sure and not CA although I do miss it a lot. Maybe OR I'm not sure yet.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada