Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,153 times

Advertisements

Got a call today from Geotemps for an electrician job at a mine near Ely. I'm assuming it is in Ruth. The recruiter couldn't give much info on the job specifics or pay scale (imagine that!); so I wanted to get any feedback from you guys on these types of jobs and what to expect from the mining industry in general. My background is in manufacturing controls (electrical/electonics) and I have a two year degree in electronics engineering and Navy training and experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM

402 posts, read 1,527,935 times
Dont know much about the pay, but the way it usually works around here is you will work for Geotemps for a couple of months and it you work out, you get hired on as a Quadra employee. I do the pulmonary screenings for the mine and most everyone says they recieve a substantial pay raise when they get hired on by Quadra, plus benefits, which Geotemps doesnt do. If you can live with a month or two of bad pay and no benefits, it may pay off in the end. Maybe try to call Quadra HR and see if they can tell you what your pay would be 775-289-7000.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM

357 posts, read 1,613,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Got a call today from Geotemps for an electrician job at a mine near Ely. I'm assuming it is in Ruth. The recruiter couldn't give much info on the job specifics or pay scale (imagine that!); so I wanted to get any feedback from you guys on these types of jobs and what to expect from mining industry in general. My background is in manufacturing controls (electrical/electonics) and I have a two year degree in electronics engineering and Navy training and experience. Thanks!
Well, expect to take a bunch of MSHA training and testing before you're a full fledged employee. This is to your benefit as well as everyone else's, as you can imagine.

The electrician jobs on these mine sites often involve work outside, in all manner of weather, day or night as required. You could be working with anything from 240V single-phase up to 4160V three-phase, PFC's, electronic drives, control systems, etc.

I guess the thing that turns some guys off is the conditions in which they have to work on mine sites - there are times you're going to be out in the cold and wet, but (relative to other places in the US), Ely NV isn't that bad but for about one month in the winter (February).

Ruth is only about 10 minutes west of Ely on US-50. There's even a small town there at Ruth, next to the pit.

This is the company running the Robinson Mine now:

Quadra Mining Ltd. - Home - Tue May 26, 2009 (http://www.quadramining.com/s/Home.asp - broken link)

Old 05-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Thanks alot for the info. They need me to let them know first thing tomorrow if i am interested at all, so calling the mining company directly would really help me decide if they can give me a ball park salary range. The lady at Geotemps did say that relocation assistance might be available so that is good.
If I land an interview I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks alot for the info NVDave! I am really considering a big move right now and the chance to get into an industry that can't be outsourced to China and India is what I am looking for. I've been laid off twice due to plant closings and I'm fed up with consumer goods manufacturing. If I land the interview I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,840 times
Default Looking for work in Nevada

Hello everyone, My husband and I live in Avondale, Arizona. We both have our CDL's, and since the kids are grown and moved out (my youngest is now in the Army), and a good friend of mine that lives in Ely has told me that the mines out there are looking for workers. I have lived in Arizona for over 30 years, and I am done with the heat.

If the mones are hiring truck-drivers we would love to move out there and work for the mines. Arizona is still having trouble with the job market, and the heat (LOL).

I am also going for my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice Human Resources.

If anyone has any suggestions to help us find a job, please respond.....

Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM

17 posts, read 43,485 times
Default mine in ely

Ely is very removed. We are 250 miles from everywhere. (realy) It is realy cold! We are looking to move to AZ. My husband drives cement truck. He's very tired of the cold. I worked at the hospital. the other two places you would want to work is at the Prison & the hospital. Medical care, we go to UT or Vegas. Big shoppin we go to Elko as well. (still 2.5-4.5 hrs from everything) High cost of living just because they can. Nice rural area. The people are great. Beautiful country. pay scales pretty good! Hopefuly helped.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM

402 posts, read 1,527,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaChupurdia View Post
Hello everyone, My husband and I live in Avondale, Arizona. We both have our CDL's, and since the kids are grown and moved out (my youngest is now in the Army), and a good friend of mine that lives in Ely has told me that the mines out there are looking for workers. I have lived in Arizona for over 30 years, and I am done with the heat.

If the mones are hiring truck-drivers we would love to move out there and work for the mines. Arizona is still having trouble with the job market, and the heat (LOL).

I am also going for my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice Human Resources.

If anyone has any suggestions to help us find a job, please respond.....

For driving the haul trucks at the mine, I don't think you need a CDL as all of the driving is done off road. There is a local company in town that hauls the concentrate from the mine in Ruth to the train line in Wendover. Snider Trucking I believe is the name of that company. Right now theres not much here you can do with the CS degree. The state and county are both on hiring freezes. But when things get better there's both the county and deputy state AG's offices in town plus a public defenders office. They get a lot thru the courts here because of the prison. Cruzin is right about the remoteness. I came up here 7 years ago from Phoenix, AZ myself. It takes time to get used to being so far from everything. We order almost everything from Amazon anymore. We also go out of town about every 4-6 weeks for a big shopping trip, but between rising prices and gas even than isn't really worth it anymore.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,489 times
To gain entry level mіnе jobs, уоu mау ѕtіll bе required tо meet сеrtаіn requirements bу mining companies. Thіѕ mау include undertaking сеrtаіn training аnd hаvіng thе rіght certificates аnd licenses. If уоu аrе ѕеrіоuѕ аbоut starting уоur career іn entry level Australia mining jobs, іt іѕ important tо ensure thаt уоu obtain thе rіght advice. Thеrе іѕ а lot tо knоw bеfоrе уоu start apply fоr jobs. Gaining thе rіght advice саn minimize уоur job searching time аѕ wеll аѕ ensuring thаt уоu аrе applying fоr thе rіght jobs fоr you.

http://miningjobswesternaustralia.com.au/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada