Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 24,877 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Las Vegas area. I would like to know what cell phone provider has the best coverage for Nevada. I hope to be hiking and mountain biking and seeing different parts on Nevada, Arizona & California.

My cell plan is up and my phone is ruined so I would like to know what service people are happiest with & what coverage is the best.

I've looked at the coverage maps for different providers but would really like to know what people think!!! Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
I can tell you that I had Cingular and it was horrible. They claim they had the least amount of dropped calls. They could have fooled me, they dropped my calls ALL the time. They are horrible.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:40 PM

222 posts, read 1,045,534 times
I, like most people around here have Verizon and they love it.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:04 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
I have Cingular and I love it. I never have problems with service, but then again I'm on their new 3G network. IMO I think they have the best phones and the best internet service (MediaNet). I know more ppl that have Cingular than Verizon, but everyone knows different ppl. I would stay away from T-Mobile and Sprint as they charge you for stupid things.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM

23 posts, read 107,227 times
i have verizon and very happy with it aso verizon will work in the litle towns around nevada

Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
I have Sprint voice.

I'm also in the process of activating Sprint EVDO (data). Sprint has a little better data coverage at the present time than Verizon and with seemingly more Rev. A areas in southern NV. Plus Sprint allows free roaming on Alltel. Because of this, IMO, Sprint has the better overall coverage in this region.

With this said, a lot of advice you'll get on a board like this will be subjective and will be determined by the poster's opinion. That's why I made sure to inject a "IMO" into my recommendation.

--'rocco

Old 04-03-2007, 12:39 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
I have Cingular and I love it. I never have problems with service, but then again I'm on their new 3G network. IMO I think they have the best phones and the best internet service (MediaNet). I know more ppl that have Cingular than Verizon, but everyone knows different ppl. I would stay away from T-Mobile and Sprint as they charge you for stupid things.
With your phone service and internet do you need a phone line to get you internet or is that also wireless? Our property is not hard wired for phone service and if I can conitnue to use my cellular that would be great but I will need internet too. Can you give me a rought idea of the cost for the internet service with Cingular?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,974 times
VERIZON--I've had NO problems w/ it.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
We use internet through Embarq which is a land line. So, yes you do need a land line. Media Net is offered through Cingular but its not full internet, just news and weather. That is about 19.99 a month.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
With your phone service and internet do you need a phone line to get you internet or is that also wireless? Our property is not hard wired for phone service and if I can conitnue to use my cellular that would be great but I will need internet too. Can you give me a rought idea of the cost for the internet service with Cingular?
Tressa, you might want look into what I was talking about earlier. It's using a connection data card and getting internet service anywhere there's a cell signal.

In the major cities, both Sprint and Verizon are offering broadband speeds with the recently released Rev A coverage. Even with Rev 0, you'll get speeds at or near DSL. Anywhere else, it will drop back to 1xRTT which will still be faster than dial-up ...again, that's ANYWERE where there's a cell signal. Sprint and Verizon are the coverage leaders with EVDO. You can get service as low as $49.99/mo. for unlimited data service.

Sprint offers this service even if you don't have voice with them. VZW will give you a discount if you have voice service with them but otherwise, Verizon is quite steep at about $80/mo. And they limit you to how much data you can use. That's why I recommend Sprint; it's truly unlimited.

--'rocco

update: 01 Dec 2010 --As you might guess, much has changed in three and a half years. The above information is extremely out of date. Please do your own research as not only have prices/plans changed but so has the technology. More carriers are involved now also. --'r

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-01-2010 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
View detailed profiles of: