Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:21 AM

6 posts, read 27,341 times

Advertisements

Our Family just purchased a home in Sun City Mesquite (NV) and we are looking for some information to help us maintain the property. The primary use will be a vaction property, somewhere to get away from the Canadian winters for a few weeks at a time until retirement in a few years.

Can someone offer us advice on how to manitain the property when we not living there?
  1. Do we have to hire a management company to check on the home every few weeks. I guess our concern would be maintaining water in the toilets, sink and bathroom drains to prevent sewer gas from entering the home.
  2. Are there other items that we need to be concerned about if we were to leave the home for a 3 month period. (Home owners insurance concerns?)
  3. Does anyone know a good Security company in that area that supplies monitoring? Instead of hard wiring the system through the builder we'd rather go wireless because it's much easier to install and significantly cheaper then wiring.
  4. Anyone know a good insurance company in the area?
  5. Do we have to have the house sprayed on the exterior every month for bugs and termites.
  6. How about a company in the area that does window coverings?
  7. Reasonably priced furniture store that has high quality furniture?
  8. What type of palm trees/vegetation grows best in mesquite?
  9. Do we need an RO water system and why?
  10. Anyone have any suggestions on a bank that they deal with?
  11. Anyone know a good concrete company for pouring an extended deck pad?
Thanks in advance for any info that you can supply.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:29 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,628 times
North Country we are in a very similar situation, just purchased in Saddle Horn subdivision at SCM, and I hope someone from the area answers your questions. Thanks for asking them and thanks, in advance,to anyone who replies.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:05 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,410 times
I am curious about the area too. Maybe someone will answer all the questions. What are the HOA fees in Sun City Mesquite. I am going back and forth between Mesquite, St. George and Corpus Christi...all very different areas

Old 07-05-2008, 09:39 AM

The SCM HOA fees for the non-gated community is 120.00 per month; not sure about the gated section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I am curious about the area too. Maybe someone will answer all the questions. What are the HOA fees in Sun City Mesquite. I am going back and forth between Mesquite, St. George and Corpus Christi...all very different areas

Old 07-06-2008, 08:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,238 times
try checking for rental agencies, and IF you are allowed to rent while not living there?
Rental agents can rent and keep your place up for a fee. Do not keep personal
items there.. just the basics ie; linens, dishes ect... You'll only want to rent on
a nightly and weekly basis. There are folks who will rather rent a condo/home than
stay at a hotel/motel. Check the better business or chamber commerce for reliable
rental agencies...

Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Not sure if you are talking about SUn City Mesquite. The SCM HOA docs state that leases must be for a minimum of 6 months and that anyone leasing must be 55+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
try checking for rental agencies, and IF you are allowed to rent while not living there?
Rental agents can rent and keep your place up for a fee. Do not keep personal
items there.. just the basics ie; linens, dishes ect... You'll only want to rent on
a nightly and weekly basis. There are folks who will rather rent a condo/home than
stay at a hotel/motel. Check the better business or chamber commerce for reliable
rental agencies...

Old 10-09-2008, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 9,542 times
Default Info on Mesquite

NorthCountry-I hope my answers help you if you have not received a response as of yet.

Can someone offer us advice on how to manitain the property when we not living there?
1. Do we have to hire a management company to check on the home every few weeks. I guess our concern would be maintaining water in the toilets, sink and bathroom drains to prevent sewer gas from entering the home. I have not heard of one out here. Most "snowbirds" get to know their neighbors and help each other out.
2. Are there other items that we need to be concerned about if we were to leave the home for a 3 month period. (Home owners insurance concerns?) Don't know.
3. Does anyone know a good Security company in that area that supplies monitoring? Instead of hard wiring the system through the builder we'd rather go wireless because it's much easier to install and significantly cheaper then wiring. Mastertech is out here, I don't know if they are wireless or not.
4. Anyone know a good insurance company in the area? We have American Family, State Farm and Farmer's, to name a few.
5. Do we have to have the house sprayed on the exterior every month for bugs and termites. The land is treated for termites before they build. Several residents have their yards and interiors sprayed monthly or every other month.
6. How about a company in the area that does window coverings? Check with Chamber of Commerce.
7. Reasonably priced furniture store that has high quality furniture? There is Mesquite Furniture and Bouldvard Home Furnishings.
8. What type of palm trees/vegetation grows best in mesquite? There are several types of palms that grow here. If you have not received your Sun City HOA manual, ask your agent to send you a CD version. There is information on approved plants/trees for the community that do well here.
9. Do we need an RO water system and why? RO or water softeners are recommended as we have hard water with high levels of arsenic. There are several arsenic treatment facilities being installed throughout the city.
10.Anyone have any suggestions on a bank that they deal with? There are several banks and credit unions.
11.Anyone know a good concrete company for pouring an extended deck pad? Check with Chamber
You can check out the city's website http://www.mesquitenv.gov You will find links to a lot of things about Mesquite. There will be a link to the Mesquite Chamber of Commerce from this website.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,194,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHCOUNTRY View Post
Our Family just purchased a home in Sun City Mesquite (NV) and we are looking for some information to help us maintain the property. The primary use will be a vaction property, somewhere to get away from the Canadian winters for a few weeks at a time until retirement in a few years.

I can give you a little help. I sell RE in Las Vegas but not in Mesquite. I however heavily work the Las Vegas Sun Cities so I know the community type and the climate.

Quote:
  1. Do we have to hire a management company to check on the home every few weeks. I guess our concern would be maintaining water in the toilets, sink and bathroom drains to prevent sewer gas from entering the home.
  1. Mostly it is ignored for three months. Often a neighbor will agree to check it once in a while. Leave the heat or air conditioning on to maintain a 65 to 85 temperature range. Turn off the house water...PERIOD...a home with a month or more water leak of even a relatively small size may be very close to totalled. You do not leave water on in an unoccupied house.

Quote:
  2. Are there other items that we need to be concerned about if we were to leave the home for a 3 month period. (Home owners insurance concerns?)
  3. Well you have one already. Home owner policies generally void if the house is unoccupied for thirty days. So talk to your agent. I would also suggest having someone check the landscaping monthly. Likely hire a local gardener. Give them a garage door opener or a code to an external pad so they can check or modify the sprinkler system.

Quote:
  4. Does anyone know a good Security company in that area that supplies monitoring? Instead of hard wiring the system through the builder we'd rather go wireless because it's much easier to install and significantly cheaper then wiring.
  5. Anyone know a good insurance company in the area?
  6. Need a local for that..

Quote:
  7. Do we have to have the house sprayed on the exterior every month for bugs and termites.
  8. Every couple of month in the winter...every month in the summer. You want to keep the bugs (mostly roaches) under control. Offputting to open a house loaded up with them.
    Quote:
  9. How about a company in the area that does window coverings?
  10. Reasonably priced furniture store that has high quality furniture?
  11. Quote:
  12. What type of palm trees/vegetation grows best in mesquite?
  13. Check the HOA book. As reported previously likely HOA regulated.

Quote:
  14. Do we need an RO water system and why?
  15. This is mostly 10,000 year old well water. Hard. And in Mesquite with a little arsenic. Water softener and RO in order.

Quote:
  16. Anyone have any suggestions on a bank that they deal with?
  17. Anyone know a good concrete company for pouring an extended deck pad?
Quote:
Thanks in advance for any info that you can supply.

Have a great day!
Don't hesitate to bribe a year round resident to look in every other week or such. Check the patrol membership. Good place to find somebody.

Sorry about the numbers.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,641 times
Default Facts about Mesquite

1) If you leave your home in Suncity Mesquite for any lengh of time you need to:
1) TURN OFF WATER
2) SET THERMOSTAT FOR SUMMER OR WINTER SETTINGS
3) GIVE TREES, SHRUBS, BUSHES A SHOT OF FERTILIZER
4) PUT DOWN SOME SORT OF ANTI-WEED TREATMENT IF YOU HAVE ROCKS
5) PUT COTTON IN WEEP HOLES AROUND DOORS/WINDOWS TO PREVENT SAND FROM BLOWING IN.
6) GET A NEIGHBOR TO CHECK YOUR YARD FOR TAMARISK THAT GROWS WILD AND IS NOT ALLOWED TO BE GROWN IN SUN-CITY. WE WERE GONE FOR TWO MONTHS AND HAD TWO TAMARISKS THAT GOT TO BE 1 1/2 FT TALL IN OUR YARD.
7) PUT DOWN STICKY BUG TRAPS IN YOUR GARAGE TO CATCH CRICKETS. SOMETIMES LIZARDS CAN GET STUCK IN THEM, TOO.
8) PUT TIMERS ON ONE OR TWO LAMPS - ALTHOUGH FREQUENT POWER OUTAGES CAN DISRUPT TIMERS.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 18,641 times
OUR BANK IS FIRST AMERICA CREDIT UNION. THEY HAVE A MAIN OFFICE ON MESQUiTE BLVD AND AN OFFICE IN WALMART.

WE BOUGHT COUCHES FROM RC WILLEY IN LAS VEGAS. THEY DELIVER TO MESQUITE ONCE A WEEK (TUESDAYS). REASONABLE.

WE HAVE OUR HOUSE SPRAYED BY BULLDOG CO. ONCE A MONTH ON THE EXTERIOR AND ONCE EVERY THREE/FOUR MONTHS IN THE INTERIOR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada