Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,949,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlum View Post
He says the wind really kicks up everyafternoon like clockwork around 2:30pm. and finishes around dusk.
I think I wrote earlier that the wind is a seasonal thing and that the mornings are not windy. He describes the time pretty accurately, actually, it can begin around noon on some days or even go further into the evening on other days. However, it's not every day and not every day is a windy day as he described.

For example, it's been about 5 days and we haven't had any big windy days. It's just been a nice lite breeze from time to time on days that were running in the 80's. Today it was 90 and I was installing some irrigation line in my yard. On a day like today, I wish we had a bigger breeze. It would have made the work more enjoyable.

Let me put it like this. I'm from SoCal, born and raised. We had seasonal winds too. It was called the Santa Ana winds in the late summer early fall. It came, it went, and we knew what to expect and when to expect it. The same goes for here.

Quote:
He says no one keeps pation furniture outside because of the huge winds. The wind launches them against the house which can cause substantial damage.
Maybe, but I'm not sure about the "substantial damage" part. It sounds like a little bravado to mo. I don't have that kind of problem with the patio furniture, but maybe he's in a different topographical situation or has cheap/lite patio furniture. In fact, I've had a patio set outside the last couple of months, right during the "windy" season. I wouldn't recommend leaving a patio umbrella up, which I don't do, otherwise things stayed right where they were supposed to stay.

Quote:
His gas bill was $300.00 last month.
Since you're speaking of housing, I'll assume you're speaking of natural gas instead of car gasoline.

First, you mentioned that he's up Johnson Lane. Is he in the brand new tract at the very top that you were asking about, or is he elsewhere in Johnson Lane. I hesitate on describing some of the houses in the older Johnson Lane section because I don't want to insult your friend and upset others. All that will happen is that someone will argue about their perceived benefits of older craftsmenship.

Let me just say that in a big portion of the Johnson Lane area the houses are older. There's a lot that can be described as simple ranchers covered in T-111 siding. That's the paneling stuff that's meant to mimic board and batton siding. That to me says that they're not the highest quality houses, nor built to the current insulation standards or with the most up-to-date techniques.

With that said, what the heck is he doing with such a natural gas bill in the summer? That's an energy source that really used in the winter when the furnace is run. He'd be using electricty in the summer when he runs his A/C. Something smells fishy to me.

Quote:
Food is 3X higher than California according to him.
Baloney! That's all I can say. Just plain baloney! There can be variables in different things, but 3X's is just plain baloney. Either your friend is doing all of his grocery store shopping at the local AM/PM gas station, where the few things they carry come with the "convenience" factor as part of the price, or I don't know what store they're using. Do you want me to go get the price of . . . "baloney" from Ralley's or Scolari's for comparison? . . . please excuse me, I'm jsut being a smart aleck tonght.

On second thought, I might not be too far off. Up Johson Lane there is only one little convenience store. It's a cute little place with a gas station and a small take-out pizza place inside (best pizza in the valley, btw). If he's buying his milk and coffee there, instead of driving into Minden or Gardnerville, to avoid the 10+ minute drive, he is going to pay 3X's as much. That's again is one of the disadvantages of living up Johnson Lane.

Quote:
He says there is lots of sand blowing constantly because of the wind. He lives near/on Johnson Lane?
Remember what I wrote about the wet v. dry side of the valley? He's on the dry side, probably amongst houses with horse property. That means they're covered with dirt. When the wind blows, the dirt leaves the paddock.

As for "constantly," that's just more baloney. He may be tracking it into the house because he hasn't irrigated his yard, but "constantly" is just more "baloney." It's only going to be constant if the wind were constant. That's not the case, either by hour of the day, day to day, or by the season. Heck, if it were constant, we'd be Chicago and that's not the case.

There are also many areas in the middle Johnson Lane area where people have older housing. There are also no CC&R's, if that's what you're seeking, to force standards on the neighborhood. As such, you can have variations on what people do, or fail to do, with their properties. Since some are on wells, with concerns about water use from their well, dirt can be a common component to their landscaping.

Those are some of the issues that kept me from considering that area of the valley. Remember, that area is maybe 8-10 minutes from town; it's a little problematic to enter US 395 from Johnson Lane; and I didn't care for the landscaping with dirt. I understand that the nature of the area is rural, but dry xeriscaping is not my friend. Basically, I knew what I wanted and that wasn't it.

Quote:
Recommends getting triple pane windows because energy(electricity) is really high.
Let me see if I can find something showing the electrical rates out here. I'll post the link if I can find anything. As for triple pane windows, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt as it wouldn't hurt in any environment. However, anything new is already built with double pane windows. Otherwise, the electricty is no more expensive, and based on my couple of summer months of experience, less expensive than in SoCal so far.

Let me say it this way. I don't know where you're coming from in Calif, but if you're headed here from the bay area or the San Diego coast where the marine layer covers the sky until noon and maybe burns off in the afternoon, and the temperature never exceeds 78, of course you're going to spend more on electricty. There is no marine layer, here. This is considered a "high desert." It's just not the Mojave and does not heat-up like Las Vegas, Reno, or anything inland from here. Our temperature is moderated by the mountains and we get a lot of ground water (west side of valley) from the adjacent Sierra Nevada. That keeps us from having harsher weather or from having water problems.

Quote:
Also says where he is, water is being rationed three days/week. This is the first time, I heard of water being rationed in Douglas County.
He might be talking about watering the lawn if you're on public water. I think that there is something in the County about an every other day watering schedule based on your address. However, I have yet to see it enforced.

If they were so concerned with water usage in the Carson Valley, would we have 90+% of the housing on public water without water meters? That's the way it is here. Water is not metered and you pay a flat rate, no matter how much or how little you use. That rate is $35/month.

Now, new houses are being built with meters. They're just not being used, yet. I'm sure it's coming but I don't know when. There hasn't been any talk about putting them to use.

Again, remember where your friend is located. He's in the part of the valley where the jack rabbits carry canteens (that's what people call it around here). Many of the houses out there are on some form of an acre or more. If someone tried to irrigate an acre, while on public water, in the jack rabbit region, they would draw attention.

Conversely, down on Westwood Drive in the Town of Minden, there are some enormous houses on some form of an acre. In fact, one relatively new one is for sale for something around 1.3 million. Anyway, each and every one of them has beautifully lanscaped yards with the most gorgeous green lawns. They don't get that way without being watered, and they're on public water at the rate of $35/month.

I have also been watering my new lawn and landscaping. Since it is new and I'm trying to get it established, I also water each and every day. I will cut it down once the plants get rooted-in, but until then it's an everyday thing . . . and nobody has questioned it. In fact, each of my neighbors water everyday without question, including a County development offical a few houses down from me.

Quote:
Is this because he lives in a very rurual part of Minden or the county?
It's likely, see above.

Quote:
I think he is connected to a septic tank and does not have sewer connection.
Hummmm, if that's the case, does he have natural gas at his house or is he on propane? I'm thinking of the $300 bill earlier in the post. Since he's not connected to the the infastructure, it's possible that he's also on propane with a tank (buried or above ground) in the yard. I don't happen to know how propane costs actually compare with natural gas, other than I've always thought natural gas was cheaper.

BTW, if he's not connected to water and sewer, it tells me that he's either way out or he's in an older home in a more rural-type area. That's where he's getting his problem with blowing dirt. Nearby houses might have horses or chickens and he's in the dry area. What does he expect?

Quote:
After hearing these complaints of the area, is it possible, we are speaking of the same Minden, Nevada?
Oh sure we are. As you said, he's just getting used to the area. That means to me he hasn't been happy for a variety of unknown reasons that probably have nothing to do with Minden. If he's not happy, it's just natural for him to focus on anything he can view that negative and ignore the good things. Combine that with the fact that he might have chosen the wrong neighborhood where he gets things he doesn't like, like an older home, with outdated features, in a rural area, on the dry side of the valley, with dirt neighborhood yards, instead of a newer home, on the green side, of the valley, with alfalfa fields surrounding the house. It just adds to his negative focus.

So, here's the question for you. You once asked me what I selected and why I did selected it. How about you? Are you looking for horse property next to BLM land on the east side of the valley in non-restricted areas that's covered by sage brush? If so, expect blowing sand from time to time. Are you seeking a newer house next to green fields of alfalfa on the west side of the valley? If so, dust isn't a problem and your horse will be happy in the environment. Maybe you're seeking a new in-town house between the other two areas. If so, dust won't be a problem and you will have easy access to shopping and community activities, but you can't have chickens, cows, and horses.

So, each area has it's own "thing." The challenge is that you don't get yourself settled in the area that doesn't meet your desires . . . but that's the challenge no matter where we go, isn't it?

Last edited by garth; 09-11-2007 at 09:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM

rlum-

Okay, here are a couple links. Although, if you can make heads or tails out of the rate schedules, you're a better man than I.

Click here (http://www.sierrapacific.com/rates/nv/electric/schedules/ - broken link) for a list of documents related to electricity rate schedules. I think the one you're look for in this list is called "Statement of Rates."

Click here (http://www.swgas.com/tariffs/nevada_rate_schedules_northern.php - broken link) for a list of documents related to natural gas rate schedules. The actual rate document might be this one. They don't make it easy to figure out, do they?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Maybe the Sheriff came for a visit?
Shhhhhhhh . . . http://bestsmileys.com/signs12/6.gif (broken link)

I think he does just fine with you guys in the LV section. http://bestsmileys.com/signs16/15.gif (broken link)

Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 74,607 times
Thanks for your second input. We are living in Torrance, California now. Close to the beach. Most of the time, our temps range from 70-90 all year around. Actually ideal weather for us.

We are looking for about 1/4 to 1/2 acre of land with the house. No animals such as horses, chickens, etc. We really do not want a large plot of land to care for. Enjoy green more the arid land. Our friend said to grow tall trees on the west side to reduce the wind. It sounds like you just don't have a lot of wind where you are located.

My mistake, the gas is natural gas and it is in the winter. Summer, he says natural gas runs about 50-70/month. Electricity runs him about 200 plus/month for summer months. He says frost season starts in a week or two. Ends in May so growing time for where he is is very limited. Recommends radiant heating in floors to reduce chill inside during the winter months going to bathroom, etc. States where he is located in Johnson Lane is called the new "Orange County". I guess it is maybe because lots of OC transplants have relocated with their housing equity? He has a 1 acre plus lot with his house. I do not know if it is older or newer.

Again thanks for all or your input and advice. Sorry to rile anyone. I just want to know what is to like and not like when living in Minden. As you have said, it depends upon the location of the valley which determines the amount of wind. The wind is an issue for me since I really do not like windy days.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM

It sounds like you need to take a trip to the Carson Valley and see for yourself. However, be sure to check out the area during a couple different seasons. You need to see if any wind issue is too much for you in the summer or any snow is too much in the winter. Each is definately here as previously discussed, so only you can tell if it's too much.

The weather is also going to be different than Torrance. You'll have seasons here that you don't have down there, although they're normally mild seasons. It's something to consider if you're looking for something like home.

As for the "new OC," I haven't heard that before, but okay. However, don't expect the area to be "master planned," like a Dana Point, et. al. It's not like that around here. In fact, Douglas County is trying and struggling with keeping it's rural identity in the face of development and gentrification. It's been one of the on-going challenges.

I hope you do come up and look around. At the worst, you would discover that the area isn't for you, but you'd still have a nice time around the Tahoe area. At best, you might find your place.

It's all up to you at this point. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,446,356 times
The new OC? My kids watch those shows, sure is hard to picture stylish rich kids wandering around Minden looking for something to do.

mmm the wind blows? buy a sailplane, buy a sail boat, keep it at Tahoe, buy a sail kart, enjoy life, don't worry about stuff.

Big winds keep the bugs away.

Mark Twain talked about flying barn doors as kites when the Washoe Zephyr kicked up.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,527,711 times
Minden Retirement????

Nope, not at all...I'm loving it!

Last edited by jfkIII; 10-03-2007 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-19-2008, 11:09 AM

13 posts, read 47,413 times
Garth, I have lived in Chambers field for over thirty-five years and loved the town the way it use to be. The problems all the old timers are having is a direct result of California off springs moving in and voting for changes and continuing to do so until our little valley is over populated and starting to become more like the California areas that all of you are trying to escape from. Would you happen to be a Realtor? As you know, they are a dime a dozen in the Valley. Welcome to Nevada but please leave your California ways in California.
Tom

Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,098 times
Wow I loved all of your comments! My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a home in Minden as well. We have been traveling to the area for some time now and are so eager to get on with it! We are retired and are much much younger than most retires! I'm in my 30's and my hubby is 51. We used Remax for finding a home. The agent was wonderful about taking his time to really show us all of the different areas of the Ranchos, Gardnerville, Genoa, Minden and such. I would highly recommend checking the various areas out before you pick on. Only area I am a bit worried about is socializing my pup. He is a 1.5 year old and loves the dog parks. I love that dog parks are not needed in Minden area, but will have to make some pup friends quickly. Happy Holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada