Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM

292 posts, read 934,628 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have two daughters that live in Lincoln and they LOVE IT! One of them did live in Omaha previously and preferred Lincoln. They both grew up in a small town and said they feel Lincoln is a bigger city that has a small town feel. They both feel people are friendly in Lincoln and they have enjoyed the nightlife, shopping and job opportunities as well as the college. One of my daughters boyfriends has lived there all his life and says he never wants to move!
From my perpective, I don't put people in a box and say they are all one way or another due to where they live. Sometimes it's how you treat people how they treat you.
I have driven and shopped in both Omaha and Lincoln and I prefer Lincoln hands down. It's far easier for me to find my way around Lincoln and I have not had any problems finding places to shop or restaurants to eat. It is a very clean city.
One of the things I do like about Omaha. The Henry Doorly Zoo.
I have a brother and sister in law that work in Omaha but they purchased a home outside of Omaha feeling it would be a better place to raise their children.
My advice to you would be for you to go and visit both places and see which one you have more peace with. That is how my husband and I have made our relocating decisions. We presently live in a small city in Nebraska and prefer the small town life as opposed to bigger city life. Guess it depends on what your looking for in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,338 times
Default Omaha would be better for you

After living in both cities, I like Omaha much better. The dining, shopping, nightlife, commute times, and airport are better in Omaha. Real estate is cheaper in Lincoln, but rent costs are comparable.

I completed my undergrad at University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) and am now working on a grad degree at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL). For most fields of study, UNL is a better school. However, if you are getting your degree in criminal justice you should definitely go to UNO. The CJ program at UNL is actually just an extension of the program at UNO. Yes, you can take your classes at either school but the better teachers are at Omaha. Oh, and UNO is cheaper and has better parking. What more can I tell you? I wish I was still in Omaha.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:45 AM

673 posts, read 4,072,546 times
The rent of apartments seems to be about the same in Lincoln as Omaha.

Personally, I prefer Omaha the people in Omaha are far nicer in my opinion. The nightlife is much more diverse also, although the nightlife in Omaha is more in the newer suburban-like areas they have more selection. Also as far as retail goes Lincoln is okay on retail for a city of its size, but Omaha has far more selection on that also.

Lincoln and Omaha both have okay downtown's but neither is impressive at all in my opinion. The Old Market and Haymarket areas are fairly unremarkable areas overall and I havent been impressed with either of them.

Also, Omaha has much better streets and is easier to get around in and more interstates to get around with that also reduce traffic congestion on the streets. Lincoln has very bad road congestion for an area of its size.

Overall, I just prefer Omaha. Far nicer people, more selection of retail and nightlife and just an overall better place to live in my opinion.

Last edited by MattDen; 05-09-2007 at 07:10 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times
Monkeynoodle was right it seems everyday someone is assulted or killed in Omaha and to tell you the truth unless you are a bum on the street or a snobby as wanna be rich ***** then the Old market isnt really all its cracked up to be. As far as Lincoln goes O street is the same way but you have an atvantage of becoming a drunk cause all thats there are mainly bars and pubs. Neither City really has much to offer as far as night life goes. Cost of living is rediculouse if you dont want to live on crack alley. Omaha does have quite a bit more restaurants so yea there is better employment opportunities (no offense I know you are in the criminal justice field). Lincoln has all the state buildings seens how it is the state capital but it doesn't make it any better though. In my opinon both cities suck. It boils down to what you REALLY want to do with your degree. I personally would do a lot more research on both places, find out which one is going to suit YOUR needs best and find a smaller comunity around that city and conside moving there. Cost of living will be cheaper (without as many crackheads and dumbasses), you wont have that city's drama. Either place you move to you will still have to comute to and from work or whatever. But, the smaller cumunities have a lot to offer as well. Plus in a SC it is more likely to get a better home for a lot cheaper price.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,808 times
People keep talking about how much better the streets are in Omaha yea there are more roads in Omaha than Lincoln, Omaha is a lot bigger as well but the poeple posting the replies about the obviously havent travel on them. The streets as far as quallity are both horrible. There aren't too many streets you can go down without having to worry about hitting a 4 foot deep pothole. And navigating through Omaha is like trying to **** in the wind without getting it blown on you. At least Lincoln has more of a grid system and you have just as many dip**** drivers in Omaha as you do lincoln but in larger numbers.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,707,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy80 View Post
People keep talking about how much better the streets are in Omaha yea there are more roads in Omaha than Lincoln, Omaha is a lot bigger as well but the poeple posting the replies about the obviously havent travel on them. The streets as far as quallity are both horrible. There aren't too many streets you can go down without having to worry about hitting a 4 foot deep pothole. And navigating through Omaha is like trying to **** in the wind without getting it blown on you. At least Lincoln has more of a grid system and you have just as many dip**** drivers in Omaha as you do lincoln but in larger numbers.
Well Country Boy, if you can't handle living in - or even visiting - the city, I'd suggest you don't.

Stay where you are.

End of story.

Regarding the OP, it's really pretty simple. The Omaha metro area is MUCH larger than Lincoln. That brings both good and bad, both being very predictable.

The cost of living is going to be similar in either city.

So really, it boils down to what size city you want to live in and/or where you can find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska