Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 PM

17 posts, read 68,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Ya know, I think I could have predicted that.

So this was your experience in Omaha as well? I've never lived in Omaha (never wanted to! lol) so I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. Just curious.
Hi Fred.

Actually, yeah. People were "polite" but that was limited to everyday conversation, etc. I actually found Lincoln to be unbelievably friendly! Overall, though, it seems the Lincoln-Omaha corridor is a totally different place than the rest of Nebraska, but I imagine it's like that in any state: the largest city/metro is unlike the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 AM

884 posts, read 1,036,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy99 View Post
Hi Fred.

Actually, yeah. People were "polite" but that was limited to everyday conversation, etc. I actually found Lincoln to be unbelievably friendly! Overall, though, it seems the Lincoln-Omaha corridor is a totally different place than the rest of Nebraska, but I imagine it's like that in any state: the largest city/metro is unlike the rest of the state.
Where all did you go in Omaha?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:28 AM

189 posts, read 219,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy99 View Post
This is my second time living in Nebraska, one time in Omaha, and now a small town in Cedar County. I grew up an army brat and tell you from the bottom of my heart that anywhere in northeast Nebraska is the most miserable place on the planet. I almost get the feeling that folks are trying to prove the stereotypes about themselves as "country people" every day. Just a few weeks ago my husband and I made friends with this really nice couple who moved to Cedar County last summer, and found out today they're already planning to move. And they're moving because their community has been clear that they don't approve of them being Jews. I'm a white girl, white husband: but even I get sick of hearing the jokes about "n***ers" and the rants about the "illegals" constantly. I can't wait to get out myself, and what's funny is that my husband's in medical school. This county NEEDS doctors, but they're scaring all the cool people away. Before I get a "then leave" comment: we're already planning that. But the "then leave" mentality is why this county specifically has increasingly lost population since the mid 80s.

I'm just disappointed that two of the only people I could connect with are leaving.
Amy:
--I'm sorry your experiences in Cedar County have not been pleasant.
Ironically, this thread (and list of worst cities) started with Laurel in Cedar county. But Hartington was mentioned favorably,
--We moved from NE NE to another state when I was in elem school. The highlight of every summer vacation was our return visit 'home' to Laurel.
That post opening this thread was an eye opener, though. I do recall when population was about 1100 and the town had 4 or more cafe's, 8 churches, 3 bars, etc. Since then, the population has gone down to around 900, the cafe style restaurants are gone(one downtown has had several owners last few years, never lasts).
---The population is aging, younger residents are fleeing to opportunities in larger cities. The rural landowners are temporarily 'paper wealthy' with higher land values and crop prices. And, being more financially comfortable it appears they are not looking and planning for the future now.
I would still have preferred rural NE NE over where my job sent me- Omaha. But that is because I prefer rural areas. One of my sib's married a Cedar native and moved 'back' 30 years ago. She still feels like an 'outsider' 'in town' (not Laurel).But that is only when she offers opinion on changes needed. (change??? horrors! )
---R/E rants about illegals- you will probably hear this all over the country. Immigration has been one of the major issues of the presidential campaign.
---R/E Your friends being Jewish and not welcomed- Did they 'perceive' this, or were they told as much? Obviously they would be a religious minority there, or anywhere in NE.But because of rural isolation, it would seem the residents might befriend your friends, and then change their minds about all Jewish. (" I have a Jewish friend....") R/E n***** word- Amy, I have not heard that word in conversation anywhere I have been in Cedar county in years, doubt it would be a socially acceptable now to most area residents.Certainly not in my family, and we have probably 100+ relatives in Cedar county.
---<<<This county NEEDS doctors>>> Always has, but do doctors NEED that county? A rural county would be a bigger challenge. And one unhappy patient could spread word fast, right or wrong, that would hurt growth in the practice. Laurel had a MD arrive in the depression, spent his career there. He
strove to 'give back more than he took' and thrived there.But made no secret his colleagues in the cities were even wealthier, but he chose to start a rural practice. After all, in a county that small in population,how much income can one expect to attain when the entire income base is 'local'?

Old 12-25-2007, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,052 times
I Am New To The Site, But I Have Lived All My Life In Nebraska, Most Recently In Scottsbluff Ne. I Must Admit That I Have Never Met Anyone In Western Nebraska In All My Life Who Is Rude Or Obnoxious To Anyone. Tho Western Nebraska Is Lacking The Socialization Of Large Towns, But I Have Been Broken Down Along The Highway Locally And Have People Stop To Help Me In Anyway They Can. Western Nebraska People Are "ranchers" And Are The Type Who Choose To Live A Solitary Lifestyle...i Really Don't Think It Is Fair To Judge Western Or Small Townspeople To City, Highly Socialized And Fast Paced People. We Are Laid Back, And Less Stressed Than Many Of Our Counter Parts. I Am Moving To South Dakota Soon, But I Will Always Be A Big Part Of Nebraska, And It Will Always Be My Home.
I particularly consider Eastern Nebraska a metro area. Western Nebraska and the "open" areas of the state have much history that many don't even realize and whomever made the comment of getting off of I-80 there is beauty and majestic areas in Nebraska as well as anywhere else in the country..I have seen some breath-taking sunsets and rises by Chimney Rock and Bluffs monument that would compare to anywhere else in this country. Yes we have hispanics and other cultures, but they respect their culture, and are just as helpful as anyone else in Western Nebraska. I will note that the crime rates and "bullet proof" windows are DEFINATELY not needed in good ole' rural Nebraska...and I do mean RURAL AREAS

Last edited by DANDAR; 12-25-2007 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 AM

258 posts, read 1,012,193 times
I grew up in Omaha and lived there for 30 years (except for college years in Lincoln) before moving to Baltimore. The general dislike of people outstate to Omahans is pathetic. I realize its bore from "those city slickers think they are too cool for us". First off.....we are talking about people from OMAHA, NE. Need I repeat that? People from a city in NEBRASKA. City slickers!? Cracks me up each time.

So people from outstate, generally speaking, already have a mindset that Omahans are "too cool"...and doom any communication from the getgo. Is it vice versa? Sometimes...but not as much.

I have traveled all over the state a number of times. LIke many people on here...I have also travelled around the country quite a bit. Big cities, small towns....farmland. I also teach in the inner city in Baltimore. Generally speaking...I have not met a group of people ruder or more judgemental than people in outstate/Western NE. This is the same story given by many people that have traveled through our state. Talk to most people that live around the country that have had to travel through western NE...and you hear the same story repeat itself over and over. Its too bad, too. I actually that part of the state is beautiful. Instead people focus on the rudeness of insecure people that out-of-towners come in contact with. In many ways Maryland is set up geographically as NE. Baltimore on the east...rural area on the west. While there is some resentment towards each other......it is nothing compared to what I see out of NE. Its insane to me.

Can anybody explain to me why "outstate" is so hurtful? Do people in "upstate" NY get upset? Should everybody in the country be up in arms when people on the east coast say "out west"? How about when people state "out east". Just what is it that bothers people so much about that? You know who should really throw a fit is those that live "down under".

Old 12-26-2007, 07:36 AM

I also nearly collapse in laughter when I hear outstaters talk about the "crime" in Omaha. They literally get a lump in their throat thinking about traveling through the city. Its truly one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen. I would argue that Omaha is one of the safest cities in the history of mankind. I taught in one of the "worst" areas in Omaha for a number of years. I would walk around there at night and not fear a thing. I feel sorry for people that are afraid the world...I really do.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,609,635 times
That kind of crap happens all over. Ask outstate Michiganders what they think of Detroit. Or, upstate New Yorkers what they think about NYC. It is a paradox in our country as more and more, cities are home to many minorities and the country-folk immediately take a disliking to them. It's not their Norman Rockwell Omaha anymore and they can't stand that fact.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
That kind of crap happens all over. Ask outstate Michiganders what they think of Detroit. Or, upstate New Yorkers what they think about NYC. It is a paradox in our country as more and more, cities are home to many minorities and the country-folk immediately take a disliking to them. It's not their Norman Rockwell Omaha anymore and they can't stand that fact.
So true.... maybe the reason Western Nebraska is often mentioned is because people have to travel across it on I 80....as compared to upstate NY or Mich..where there is not as much "drive through" traffic.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:12 AM

17 posts, read 68,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
Amy:
--I'm sorry your experiences in Cedar County have not been pleasant.
Ironically, this thread (and list of worst cities) started with Laurel in Cedar county. But Hartington was mentioned favorably,
--We moved from NE NE to another state when I was in elem school. The highlight of every summer vacation was our return visit 'home' to Laurel.
That post opening this thread was an eye opener, though. I do recall when population was about 1100 and the town had 4 or more cafe's, 8 churches, 3 bars, etc. Since then, the population has gone down to around 900, the cafe style restaurants are gone(one downtown has had several owners last few years, never lasts).
---The population is aging, younger residents are fleeing to opportunities in larger cities. The rural landowners are temporarily 'paper wealthy' with higher land values and crop prices. And, being more financially comfortable it appears they are not looking and planning for the future now.
I would still have preferred rural NE NE over where my job sent me- Omaha. But that is because I prefer rural areas. One of my sib's married a Cedar native and moved 'back' 30 years ago. She still feels like an 'outsider' 'in town' (not Laurel).But that is only when she offers opinion on changes needed. (change??? horrors! )
---R/E rants about illegals- you will probably hear this all over the country. Immigration has been one of the major issues of the presidential campaign.
---R/E Your friends being Jewish and not welcomed- Did they 'perceive' this, or were they told as much? Obviously they would be a religious minority there, or anywhere in NE.But because of rural isolation, it would seem the residents might befriend your friends, and then change their minds about all Jewish. (" I have a Jewish friend....") R/E n***** word- Amy, I have not heard that word in conversation anywhere I have been in Cedar county in years, doubt it would be a socially acceptable now to most area residents.Certainly not in my family, and we have probably 100+ relatives in Cedar county.
---<<<This county NEEDS doctors>>> Always has, but do doctors NEED that county? A rural county would be a bigger challenge. And one unhappy patient could spread word fast, right or wrong, that would hurt growth in the practice. Laurel had a MD arrive in the depression, spent his career there. He
strove to 'give back more than he took' and thrived there.But made no secret his colleagues in the cities were even wealthier, but he chose to start a rural practice. After all, in a county that small in population,how much income can one expect to attain when the entire income base is 'local'?

They were called "f***ing* Jew" to their face. I doubt this is only perception.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,201,527 times
Default really?

So the people in Cedar county are probably registered nazi's then from the way it sounds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska