Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:40 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,012,632 times

Advertisements

Otis,

So, I'm assuming there is no one in Pennsylvania who is rude. About 2 million people in Nebraska and one rude person running a cashier allows you depict Nebraskans in a negative light??

I would also add that based on your travel plans you traveled through the absolute most boring parts of Nebraska. You essentially followed the Platte River valley about 85% of your trip through Nebraska. Nebraska gained its name from the Native American description of the platte river, meaning "Flat Water". Its a notoriously boring drive down I-80, but that's why they built I-80 where they did. Very easy, from a road building perspective. You have to venture off the interstate to experience Nebraska. I promise you...if you're developing your impression of Nebraska based on the interstate drive you have no idea what Nebraska is like. Unfortunately, this is a common judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 AM

31 posts, read 139,212 times
To Mattpoulsen

We have millions of rude people in PA. Based on living in PA for lots of years I would put PA near the bottom of friendly states or pleasant people. I work 4 blocks from the Liberty Bell and I 'm regularly in that area for lunch and see visitors, I don't call them tourists. I go out of my way to try to help people and just try to find an excuse to greet them BECAUSE of the rude person in NE and the million jerks we have in PA.

To Earniefan: I noticed your home state in WY. Go to that site and see my post thanking the people of WY for being so friendly to me and my family when I was there.

To both you guys I first treat people nicely if I get a chance, but then I do treat people like they treat me.

Finally on that trip through NE we stopped at Omaha for 2 days and did a water park. Nothing to tell you in terms of the people, not unusually friendly nor were they rude or unpleasant.

I really wanted to love NE, I always loved Johnny Carson, and still love his memory. NE just never gave me a reason.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:03 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,067,748 times
Otis, my home state is Nebraska.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:46 PM

16 posts, read 26,559 times
Default Eastern Wyoming is the same....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I think rural Nebraska has major hospitality issues. I agree with what has been said on here. I find that rural Nebraska (mainly western part of the state) when you stop in their small towns they have very low standards about what they feed customers at their restaurants and they serve up a major attitude also.
Eastern Wyoming is very much the same: hostile. If you move there from somewhere else and don't acclimate to their way of walking, talking, and lifestyle, you're an outsider. Mention that you don't like the area, people will turn on you-they'll swear, call you crazy, and do just about anything in their power to discredit you.

Now if I heard people say they don't like a place that i'm happily living, I wouldn't think twice about it. It's these crap places that have people who know deep down in their conscious they're living in a place that is substandard and they don't like being reminded of that objective fact.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Otis,

My point is that I hope you're not judging Nebraska based on 1 rude person and your trip down I-80. I too get annoyed with rude people, but that's what they are...rude people. It isn't necessarily indicative of the state or area. There are rude people everywhere.

Secondly, you really didn't get to experience much of Nebraska, if you stuck tight to I-80. Go up North into the sandhills, badlands, and the Niobrara region. It is markedly different or if you were in Omaha you should have given the Zoo a try.

I'm just saying you didn't get a very good picture of what Nebraska has to offer. ..that's all. I'm not saying its your fault...unfortunately a lot of people passing through tend to get the idea that Nebraska is just a flat state with no natural beauty, which is based on the terrain that I-80 runs through. Go up North and you'll see a dramatic difference.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Villagefish,

"These crap places...". Please. The problem is you don't recognize or respect the qualities that makes people value these places so much! They don't care about having 5 malls and a roller coaster. They love things like wide open spaces, lower crime, lower cost of living, small towns, and a tight sense of community. Why is it substandard?? Its not Ethiopia for crying out loud. They have the exact things you have. They just don't have some of the retail options you might, but, again, they don't care. However, on the other hand, you might not have 10,000 acres you can go play in either.

The reason people get mad is because they know that you're blatantly disrespecting their way of life and you're doing so with a pretentious "my choice is clearly better" tone. I'm sorry, but people live in places because that's what they choose to do. Every person I have ever known that stayed in their small town did so because they loved it there...for the reasons I stated above. Its not better or worse than anywhere else, but its what they like/love. Why you think that "your choice" is somehow superior is remarkably arrogant and unbelievably close minded.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 06-29-2007 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 10:30 AM

You hit the nail on the head there Matt, that is the only reason anyone in eastern Wyoming would be rude to someone dicrediting their region. I've always found the people there to be very friendly and welcoming, and I came from Nebraska, where they're all still pissed about the last time the Husker's beat the Pokes, lol!

Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 AM

31 posts, read 139,212 times
To Mattpoulsen:

I know it looks like we judged Nebraska by 1 rude person let me explain the context. We had just visited Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons and picked a road back to PA. Since we came out on I90 we wanted to see different states going home, so we took I80. You know how people say you could be the most memorable thing about a vacation? Well after the Tetons & Yellowstone the unfriendly Nebraska lady wasn't a standout in terms of remembering but fair or unfair that's what me and my family remember about your state. We had never been to NE before and had an attitude about it and the people and the attitude was we expected to be warmed by the heartland of the country. We were wrong. Am I saying the whole state is like that, of course not. But, and this is big but, after visiting Wyoming, Chicago and Mt. Rushmore we would love to see those places again. I was going to add Nebraska and say we wouldn't probably visit Nebraska again because we really didn't find anything we liked about the state, but I didn't want to be harsh about your state. And to be fair, don't expect to be charmed about the people of PA, and that's not just me talking, but read up the posts in PA. We sure don't have the market cornered on decent people, from my readings I'd say Missouri and Texas do!

Otis

Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Otis,

That was Matt's point exactly - you didn't see Nebraska you saw I-80. You have to get off the interstate to fully take in any state.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,987 times
Otis,

The real Nebraska is not along I-80. As a Nebraskan there is not much that I like about I-80 either other than a quick trip across Nebraska to either Colorado, Wymoing or Iowa and that is all I-80 is good for to me. The real Nebraska is in the small towns along the two lane highways of Nebraska. Please come back to Nebraska this time don't use I-80 once you get to Nebraska, from Pennsylvania, go north along I-29 to the northern part of our state cross over the Missouri River at Decatur. Go south on I-29 cross over the Missouri at Auburn to travel the southern part of Nebraska. From either crossing pick you own route across some of what is the real Nebraska. It will take you longer to travel across Nebraska doing this, but you will then see what Nebraska is. As a Nebraskan I want to tell that I am sorry for the rude treatment that you got and invite you to come back some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska