Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,223 times

Advertisements

I saw a chart of the density of tornado's in all of Nebraska, and while Nebraska is definetely in the top 4 in the nation for amount of tornado's, it showed that Hall county had about 3x the amount of tornado density than the next county... Which was York county.

BTW... For those that don't know Hall county is the county where Grand Island resides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
Yeah, the tri-cities area is kinda a little tornadoe hotspot in Nebraska (Not a fact I enjoy, I am terrified of those things). I'm thinking I heard once a reason for this, but I can't remember, guess its just where the air masses like to collide. Just mention June 3, 1980 to anyone who was alive in the area and they can give you stories. That was the night of the hugh outbreak in Grand Island, that basically leveled the South Locust area.

I worked for a surveyor in Grand Island for awhile. The secretary had lost her home in that storm. My boss told me how you couldn't tell where you were because all the landmarks where gone. If they didn't have detectors they would have never found the pipes in the ground to tell where the lots where because the houses were not there anymore. This may be a legend, but there is a large hill in Ryder Park (the only hill in G.I. really) and its called tornadoe hill because that is where a lot of debrie is buried.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:14 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Could it be there are more mobile homes per acre than other parts of the state?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM

94 posts, read 337,055 times
Yes there is a Tornado Hill here, and it does have debrie from the June 3rd tornadoes buried in it. At one time someone had said things where starting to stick out of the ground. Not sure if that is true, I walk up it on a regular basis in the summer time, and have never seen anything protruding out of it.
As for mobile homes... no clue on that comment..... Grand Island is growing very rapidly, and last I knew none of it was mobile homes. Didn't think mobile homes had anything really to do with tornadoes.

Last edited by lisalynn; 04-10-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 AM

20 posts, read 75,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Could it be there are more mobile homes per acre than other parts of the state?
This is the most scientifically sound theory I have ever heard! lol

Old 04-10-2008, 11:34 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,009,835 times
Lisa,

I think Dave's comment was meant "tongue-in-cheek." I think he was making a joke of the fact that it always seems like tornadoes hit mobile home areas...almost like they're attracted to them.

Tbades,

As far as "tornado hill,' yes its true.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,289 times
I thought I had heard a long time back that the Platte River and surrounding terrain in the GI area also influenced tornados forming in this area more than others.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Maybe we should have all learned a long time ago that we should stop trying to figure out the weather. This week is Severe Weather week and most of us are getting snow. Anyway here is a tornado page about Nebraska, I believe Kosenbear gave out the link awhile ago.
TORNADOES (http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/TORNADOES.html - broken link)

Still haven't found any real data on why tornadoes are attracted to Hall county.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Still haven't found any real data on why tornadoes are attracted to Hall county.
I still think its the mobile homes...

Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 PM

You're probably right Dave. All these storm chasers are wasting their time trying to get tornado data. They just need to set up a huge mobile home park in Oklahoma, and they can get there data there. Plus, all the tornadoes will strike there, so we won't have to worry about them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska