Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 04:13 PM

36 posts, read 47,865 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have never been to the Midwest. I am looking for a rural environment but close to a city.town, not too much snow in winter and not too harshly hot/humid in summer. Surely there must be some town that people like and can give me some information. I'm really starting from scratch. Looked at Washington, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico but they were too expensive. I'm single, looking for max $200,000 small houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Nebr has harsh cold winters and hot humid summers, other times during the year its nice weather. The cost of living there isn't all that great and the property tax on homes is high. It's not a location for retirement.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:00 AM

115 posts, read 205,055 times
Please turn your attention to other areas besides Nebraska. We're retired and the taxes are horrid, COL is off the charts. We're in a midrange town, and the utilities are killing us. Businesses are closing right and left. Not much of any social attractions here. Weather sucks.
I'm reinforcing Aksarben's statement. Nothing much good is here to retire to.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:13 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
Identify you town and you will get a better response, also, Aksarben isn't around anymore and couldn't make comments like you posted.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:01 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Hi,

I have never been to the Midwest. I am looking for a rural environment but close to a city.town, not too much snow in winter and not too harshly hot/humid in summer. Surely there must be some town that people like and can give me some information. I'm really starting from scratch. Looked at Washington, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico but they were too expensive. I'm single, looking for max $200,000 small houses.
You’ll be able to find homes for under the $200K price in many small rural towns across the country, however keep in mind that most (some exceptions) don’t have good medical facilities or doctors who will take new patients that are retired on Medicare. This means that if a senior has medical problems or issues it can be a long trip to a major city of any size. Some retired friends of mine moved to a small city and have to drive 2 hours each way to return to the city for doctor and dentist visits.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 03-18-2018 at 10:30 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 10:04 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Lincoln and Omaha are the MAJOR medical centers for Nebraska. I know the Bryan Hospitals in Lincoln have Helicopter air ambulances bringing in patients several times daily. Check with your provider. If you live close to McCook AMTRAK has service to and from Lincoln daily. If you have a Doctor in Lincoln it is an option. Hospital visits and Insurance issues need some research.

Goodland, Kansas and Wray, Colorado have regional Hospital facilities that many in the Tri-state area utilize. Good Doctors and getting to a hospital must be considered when living in rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska