Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 PM

12 posts, read 67,863 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Lincoln in August and would like information on neighborhoods. We think we'd like to rent at least for awhile. We're interested in condos/or houses. We're empty nesters but would like a decent neighborhood with a fair amount of space - ideally 3 bedrooms, a garage and a basement (we have a big house now!) I'll be teaching at UNL. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
Here is a thread that talked about older neighborhoods in Lincoln:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/nebra...coln-like.html

There is also a lot of new subdivisions on the north and south sides of town, more on the southside of town. However, if you are working at UNL you might want to look more on the northside for an easier commute. There some neighborhoods that aren't the greatest (stated in the above thread) but for the most part Lincoln is really safe and a nice city. Alot of people say it seems more like a small town with city amenities, than a metro area with almost 300,000 people.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM

47 posts, read 225,149 times
I'm assuming you'll be planning on driving to UNL, so I would consider checking the area around 20th and Van Dorn. There are some nice older homes, and I have known people who rented in that area. The commute wouldn't be that bad either, just a few blocks to 10th Ave. and then a quick jaunt up to UNL.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks very much. I'm used to a long commute so I'm guessing anything in Lincoln will be shorter. We'd also like information about condos to rent if you have any suggestions on that!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
A good place to start would be the classifieds in the journal star:
JournalStar.com - Lincoln, Nebraska

Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,212 times
Default House available

Hi! We are moving out of Lincoln in August, to Omaha because of a job change. We have a beautiful home for sale in Edenton South (Southeast Lincoln), which is a very desirable, safe neighborhood - close to shopping, dining, golf courses (if you golf). As it turns out, we have neighbors who are also UNL professors, and lots of empty nesters in the neighborhood, as well as younger families. It's a nice blend. If you're interested at all, email me at [EMAIL="colespann@msn.com"]colespann@msn.com[/EMAIL] and I can send you our listing. I know you said you were more interested in renting, but on the off chance that you've decided to take advantage of the "buyers market" that we are currently in, I thought I'd take a shot. Best of luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Your house for sale

Thanks for the note. We've already lined up a place in southeast Lincoln. We loved the older neighborhoods but there weren't many rentals that fit our space needs. So for now we ended up with a newer place in s.e. Lincoln. We may decide to buy eventually but wanted to get a better feel for the town and neighborhoods first.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebb View Post
Thanks for the note. We've already lined up a place in southeast Lincoln. We loved the older neighborhoods but there weren't many rentals that fit our space needs. So for now we ended up with a newer place in s.e. Lincoln. We may decide to buy eventually but wanted to get a better feel for the town and neighborhoods first.

I used to live in southeast Lincoln... or at least what use to be southeast Lincoln at 72nd and Van Dorn, and it is a very nice part of the city.. You are really going to like this city!! And if you wanted to go to some big city events, Lincoln has them sometimes, but Omaha is straight up from 84th to Cornhusker, and from Cornhusker you can go straight through Waverly, Greenwood, Ashland and Gretna on the way through Sarpy county....
Or after turning right on to cornhusker, you have the ability to take an onramp onto interstate 80 that goes straight through the heart of Omaha..

I loved living in Lincoln, it has everything you would want for a good living, and the big events are just a few miles to the northeast..

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM

212 posts, read 901,360 times
I'm not here to tell you a good place in Lincoln, but to warn you of a really bad area of Lincoln. I would really advise that you avoid the area around Russ's Market on 17th And Washington. This is probably one of the most dangerous areas in Lincoln. I lived a block away from Russ's for 7 years, and there were police cars in the neighborhood all the time. Don't be afraid to shop at that Russ's, though. If you come during the day you will be fine. Most of the crime seems to happen later in the night.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 AM

Thanks for all the advice. We're looking forward to finally moving in just a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska