Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 AM

20 posts, read 35,048 times

Advertisements

I keep reading that the north section of Omaha is a rough area, high crime. I'm not in Omaha now so I don't know, can someone tell me if Laurel st by 24 th st is a good or bad area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,990 times
My wife works nearby so I've been in the area a lot and never felt unsafe. Having said that, it's an industrial part of town and I don't imagine that it's a great neighborhood. Not sure about the crime rate though.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,472,022 times
Back when I was a teenager living in Omaha the area of 24th and Lake was known as the area to avoid. Is Laurel near that?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 PM

624 posts, read 1,310,035 times
24th and Laurel is in an area just to the north of Sorensen PKWY and what I'd consider the "worst" parts of NO. Sorensen cuts off many neighborhood streets; I don't know if that contributes to the nicer feeling. It's not far away from the Minnelusa neighborhood, Miller Park and MCC Fort Omaha campus which are nice. I would feel comfortable enough.

24th and Laurel really isn't anywhere near 24th and Lake-- about 30 blocks north of that, in fact.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 PM

20 posts, read 35,048 times
thank you for the replies,, I asked my son too and he says it's not a good area. Tell me though, are there any HOUSES to rent in or near Omaha?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 AM

14 posts, read 27,490 times
Ok people let's get real. Most people who are victims of crime in N.O. are people (and not usually random strangers) who are associated with folks who are up to no good. I live smack in the middle of a high crime area, yet I've never personally been touched by crime. Many people live in these "high crime areas" and never have any problems. In fact, I walk all over my neighborhood for exercise. I walk around to the store in the dark. I walk home from the Y in the dark. I've never had anyone or anything bother me. Not even a stray dog.

That said, I do try to be practical and careful. I'm aware of my surroundings. I leave my porch light on. I have an alarm system. I don't leave the keys in my car. I don't open the door to strangers. I report suspicious activity to the police.

You can be a victim of crime anywhere and not just in N.O. Remember Von Maur, all the gas station robberies in the aksarben area, the little boy and the housekeeper that were killed in the Dundee area (killer never caught), the Dundee rapist (never caught), smash and grab robberies out west. Oh yeah, remember the Millard South shooting where that principal was killed? Hello?

People who live in the burbs and out west always amaze me at the level of safety and security they THINK they have. As a result, some of y'all don't have window shades, you leave your garage doors open, ground floor windows unlocked, keys under mats etc., etc., etc. Then bam, when it does happen, y'all have that "I never thought it could happen out here or happen to me mentality."

Everytime I see one of y'all westsiders or 'burbanites on the news with that same old refrain, "I never thought it could happen to me or in my neighborhood" I just shake head. Me: "Really? Uh, it just did. Get a clue!"

Now granted everyone has a desire to live in the safest environment possible, but for real, no place is really truely 100 percent safe.

And by the way, the 24th are Lake street area and to the south headed towards downtown are in a redevelopment phase. A lot of those old houses and neighborhoods have been torn down and rebuilt. The neighborhoods are simply gorgeous. And quiet. When I watch the news I rarely hear of anything going on down there these days. To the OP, that might be an area worth checking out.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM

84 posts, read 123,260 times
Default North O Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCitiGirl View Post
Ok people let's get real. Most people who are victims of crime in N.O. are people (and not usually random strangers) who are associated with folks who are up to no good. I live smack in the middle of a high crime area, yet I've never personally been touched by crime. Many people live in these "high crime areas" and never have any problems. In fact, I walk all over my neighborhood for exercise. I walk around to the store in the dark. I walk home from the Y in the dark. I've never had anyone or anything bother me. Not even a stray dog.

That said, I do try to be practical and careful. I'm aware of my surroundings. I leave my porch light on. I have an alarm system. I don't leave the keys in my car. I don't open the door to strangers. I report suspicious activity to the police.

You can be a victim of crime anywhere and not just in N.O. Remember Von Maur, all the gas station robberies in the aksarben area, the little boy and the housekeeper that were killed in the Dundee area (killer never caught), the Dundee rapist (never caught), smash and grab robberies out west. Oh yeah, remember the Millard South shooting where that principal was killed? Hello?

People who live in the burbs and out west always amaze me at the level of safety and security they THINK they have. As a result, some of y'all don't have window shades, you leave your garage doors open, ground floor windows unlocked, keys under mats etc., etc., etc. Then bam, when it does happen, y'all have that "I never thought it could happen out here or happen to me mentality."

Everytime I see one of y'all westsiders or 'burbanites on the news with that same old refrain, "I never thought it could happen to me or in my neighborhood" I just shake head. Me: "Really? Uh, it just did. Get a clue!"

Now granted everyone has a desire to live in the safest environment possible, but for real, no place is really truely 100 percent safe.

And by the way, the 24th are Lake street area and to the south headed towards downtown are in a redevelopment phase. A lot of those old houses and neighborhoods have been torn down and rebuilt. The neighborhoods are simply gorgeous. And quiet. When I watch the news I rarely hear of anything going on down there these days. To the OP, that might be an area worth checking out.
You're wrong in oh so many ways. My late grandmother lived at 43rd & Emmett. Her home was burglarized 6 times between 1976 & 1979. She and her elderly neighbors were attacked by hoods as they attempted to walk in the front door of the neighbor's home. She took those scars to the grave.

I lived at 24th & Kansas (2 blocks north of 24th & Laurel) from Jan. 1965 to Sep. 1970.
In the summer of 1970, my 2 sisters and their 2 friends were accosted by 5 teenagers in Miller Park with demands for their money. A fight ensued and withing eyesight of the house I live id, my mother attempted to separate the combatants. While she tried, one of the "youths" came up from behind and hit her on the side of the head with a lack-Jack that left her eye swollen and discolored for three weeks. It could have been worse.
That was when we said enough is enough.
So don't try to preach that crime only happens to those that engage in crime-related activities.
The whole Miller Park area and south is a shell of its once former greatness. You think those people moved out in the 70's & 80's for no reason?

Finally, look at the percent of shootings reported nightly. How many of those happen in the suburbs? Very few. They largely occur in North Omaha. So you can peddle your idea that the burbs have crime but temper it with the fact that it isn't nearly as often and deadly as North Omaha.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:43 PM

147 posts, read 259,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post
You're wrong in oh so many ways. My late grandmother lived at 43rd & Emmett. Her home was burglarized 6 times between 1976 & 1979. She and her elderly neighbors were attacked by hoods as they attempted to walk in the front door of the neighbor's home. She took those scars to the grave.

I lived at 24th & Kansas (2 blocks north of 24th & Laurel) from Jan. 1965 to Sep. 1970.
In the summer of 1970, my 2 sisters and their 2 friends were accosted by 5 teenagers in Miller Park with demands for their money. A fight ensued and withing eyesight of the house I live id, my mother attempted to separate the combatants. While she tried, one of the "youths" came up from behind and hit her on the side of the head with a lack-Jack that left her eye swollen and discolored for three weeks. It could have been worse.
That was when we said enough is enough.
So don't try to preach that crime only happens to those that engage in crime-related activities.
The whole Miller Park area and south is a shell of its once former greatness. You think those people moved out in the 70's & 80's for no reason?

Finally, look at the percent of shootings reported nightly. How many of those happen in the suburbs? Very few. They largely occur in North Omaha. So you can peddle your idea that the burbs have crime but temper it with the fact that it isn't nearly as often and deadly as North Omaha.
And YOU are wrong in about a hundred ways.

Do you REALLY think every neighborhood is exactly the way it was 45 years ago?

Was that one of the urban "ghetto" schools, where a kid took a gun into school, and shot & killed people last year? No. It happened at Millard South - where the "good people" are.

Finally, I think you're making up about half of what you wrote here. Either that or you've been watching too many Charles Bronson movies.

Laurel & 42nd is not a good area of Omaha, but not really because of fear. The problem is that if you bought a house there you could have a lot of trouble selling it. Too many stupid, scared white people think that anywhere East of 90th Street is not safe. They'd rather live in a piece of crap Celebrity Home, than live next to a black family.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 AM

19 posts, read 60,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Sullivan View Post
And YOU are wrong in about a hundred ways.

Do you REALLY think every neighborhood is exactly the way it was 45 years ago?

Was that one of the urban "ghetto" schools, where a kid took a gun into school, and shot & killed people last year? No. It happened at Millard South - where the "good people" are.

Finally, I think you're making up about half of what you wrote here. Either that or you've been watching too many Charles Bronson movies.

Laurel & 42nd is not a good area of Omaha, but not really because of fear. The problem is that if you bought a house there you could have a lot of trouble selling it. Too many stupid, scared white people think that anywhere East of 90th Street is not safe. They'd rather live in a piece of crap Celebrity Home, than live next to a black family.

Wait, so her anecdotal evidence is bunk?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM

147 posts, read 259,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitruvianMan View Post
Wait, so her anecdotal evidence is bunk?
Anecdotal evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
View detailed profiles of: