Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,186 times

Advertisements

Ready to move out of Buffalo, NY and considering several states including Nebraska for relocation. I have questions:

1) How long does winter last? (Here in WNY it drags on for 6 months)

2) Are ticks, mosquitoes, venomous snakes, dangerous spiders pervasive? Any other threatening or annoying pests I should know about? (I have dogs and horses and am more concerned for them than myself).

3) Would having a swimming pool make sense in Nebraska or is the swimming season too short / weather too windy to enjoy a pool?

4) Tell me what you can about driving in Nebraska. Speed limits, enforcement of speed limits, prevalence of drunk and/or uninsured drivers, treacherous road conditions, etc.

5) Is there an accent in Nebraska? If so maybe give an example using a couple words or phrases to demonstrate.

What we are looking for: (maybe you can suggest towns considering jobs will most likely be in eastern part of state?)

- We need small acreage (3-10 acres is just fine for us)

- We can deal with bitter cold and snow for about 3 months, then we start to become depressed and agitated..)

- Hot weather does not bother us, it is the bugs that come with it that get to us.

- We want to live in a rural-ish setting, but not out in the middle of nowhere. Border between suburbs and country is where we are most comfortable. Like our space and privacy but don't want to be isolated and only house for miles around.

- Safety / low crime is of extreme importance to us.

Might Nebraska be a good fit for us and do you have any suggestions of towns to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 03:58 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,322 times
1. Our winters are not going to be as bad as those in Buffalo.
2. There are ticks and mosquitoes. Venomous snakes can be found in the western part of the state more than the eastern. There are venomous spiders, but they are rarely a problem.
3. If you have the money to build a nice pool you should!
4. Speed limit on the interstate is 75 and the highways are a bit lower. It is common for cops to not care about 5ish miles over the speed limit. There are probably about the same number of drunk drivers as anywhere else.
5. Nebraska does not really have an accent which has led to many news anchors and call centers.

Based off of what you want I would suggest looking around highway 75 from Omaha south to Nebraska City.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM

OK, so you do have ticks and mosquitoes. Darn. But lyme disease (spread by deer ticks) and heartworm (carried by mosquitoes) are not major issues in the state - correct? I have seen the U.S. regional map showing reported cases of both of the above, and NE looks better off than most states. But wanted anecdotal info. to back that up or refute. After all, the map only shows reported cases, actual incidence could be higher I guess.

Overall do you find yourself (and your animals) frequently bothered by various insects and critters in Nebraska or not much?

Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,409 times
Incidences of lyme disease are rare in this state...as far as heartworm, anywhere there are mosquitoes you should be giving your dogs monthly doses of heartworm preventative. Most heartworm preventative also contains medication to prevent and kill other types of worms. West nile is also carried by mosquitoes and is fairly prevalent here, so if your horses are not vaccinated for this, I would recommend that you do this prior to mosquito season each year. I've never lost any of my animals from any sort of communicable disease, but I vaccinate yearly.
The bugs are around from the time the weather warms up til the first freeze, which generally happens in october sometime. Wearing bug spray is the best idea ever.
Lots of deer here. Drive carefully, don't speed at dawn, dusk, or dark, or you'll be sure to see one, or more likely, several. Drunk drivers? I suppose there are just as many here as anywhere else... the underage drinking in this state is, unfortunately, one of the highest in the country..so that is something to consider. Texting and driving is illegal here... the roads are in decent shape, at least the highly used ones are..there is a lot of roadwork during the summer months.
There's definately a lot of critters in Nebraska, and they are always around, but generally not much of a problem. Just vaccinate your animals and put up good fencing.
I agree that you would probably like the east central or southeast part of the state. The towns are closer together, but you still get that rural feel, without being too far from the city.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:35 AM

163 posts, read 376,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Ready to move out of Buffalo, NY and considering several states including Nebraska for relocation. I have questions:

Winter isn't particularly long. I'd say from mid-November into early March is typical. Cold and windy, with about 30 inches of snowfall spread over 3 or 4 significant storms and sporadic, random instances. It can get dreary, but never for too long. Every now and then, we'll have a two or three day break where the sun comes back out. It doesn't warm up all that often, though.

2) Are ticks, mosquitoes, venomous snakes, dangerous spiders pervasive? Any other threatening or annoying pests I should know about? (I have dogs and horses and am more concerned for them than myself).

Not more than is typical for the Midwest. The mosquitoes can be irksome in the summer, but both the Great Lakes region, and the Southeast get it much worse than here. If you're not used to weird, country-sized bugs, it can be a bit of an adjustment. But again, I stress, it's more of just a part of life in Nebraska, rather than a pervasive, dangerous attribute.

3) Would having a swimming pool make sense in Nebraska or is the swimming season too short / weather too windy to enjoy a pool?

You can definitely get by without one. It's nice to swim on the especially humid summer days. But this isn't Phoenix or Tampa where it's almost a requisite.

4) Tell me what you can about driving in Nebraska. Speed limits, enforcement of speed limits, prevalence of drunk and/or uninsured drivers, treacherous road conditions, etc.

Here, I have a few strong opinions, which I will try to express objectively. First, outside of Omaha proper, cops have little to do but enforce speed limits. I see a lot of speed traps in smaller communities.

That would be the end of it if it weren't for the drunk driving. I personally find it to be a very prominent part of life. It's no big deal to have a few DUIs, and you have to really stand out to get any significant punishment from the courts. It's too engrained in the culture. Get drunk, watch the Huskers, get drunker, go out and grab some food. It's an embarrassing frustration.

As for road conditions, during the winter, it does seem like there's a dragging of feet to clear the roads. There's little to no pre-treating of the roads before storms, as well.

5) Is there an accent in Nebraska? If so maybe give an example using a couple words or phrases to demonstrate.

Just the opposite, actually. The Midwest, including Nebraska is famed for its distinct lack of an accent. It's part of the reason so many call centers work out of Omaha. There are certain mannerisms I've noticed, though. Of course the whole "soda" vs "pop" debate is alive and well. Also, something I've noticed since moving here. Nobody says "You're welcome." Naturally, as a native East Coaster, I don't either, I say "No problem." But in Nebraska, people will, in response to a "thank you" say "uh-huh" or some kibd of similar grunt.

What we are looking for: (maybe you can suggest towns considering jobs will most likely be in eastern part of state?)

- We can deal with bitter cold and snow for about 3 months, then we start to become depressed and agitated..)

- Hot weather does not bother us, it is the bugs that come with it that get to us.

- We want to live in a rural-ish setting, but not out in the middle of nowhere. Border between suburbs and country is where we are most comfortable. Like our space and privacy but don't want to be isolated and only house for miles around.

Might Nebraska be a good fit for us and do you have any suggestions of towns to look at?
I'll let other posters fill in more specifics since I'm most familiar with Omaha, which is reflected in my answers.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times
OOOHHH, Let me TELL you about Nebraska!!!
I live in the very rural Sandhills, in the North Central part of the State. We have hills so steep that in some places you can stand up straight and bite the ground. But they are not rocky outcroppings for the most part.

That sorta depends. "winter" can last from October to May, if you are talking about garden freezes. If you are talking about snow and cold, well, um, not so much. We get some really chilly days and nights and occasionally snow in October, but it goes away quickly. In rural areas the schools have to close, because the kids can't drive on their gravel paths to meet the bus at the pavement. We get some pretty bad blizzards here (the wind ALWAYS blows here) - but then the sun pops out. Even when it is too cold for the snow to melt, you can still get a sunburn (if you have any exposed skin)! The cold is a dry, fresh, and windy cold, not the bone-eating drear in the East. We do get some pretty serious ice and snow in Feb-March; many of my neighbors are delivering calves during this time and stay up all night in the pole barns doing so; it gets really cold for them, and sometimes cattle slip and fall on the ice in the dark. Some winters have lots of snow, that piles up oer the barbed wire fences so that the cattle can merely walk over them and escape. We have ranchers as well as road crews that have planted cedar breaks along the roadsides, lines and lines of them - pretty much tells you where the bad snow and meltoff on the roads can be expected. I have seen temps of -40 - during a three day blizzard. Most of the time it is a sunny cold, though.

If you live close to a river, you will see a lot of rattlers; my rancher friends have whole fields of them in the spring. We have never seen one on our property; what we think is a rattler alwas turns out to be a king snake. We do have bull snakes here, and there may be a few others, but I have never seen them. Ticks - yes, in the high weeds there are, but for some reason on my property (60 acres) I have never seen any on either us or the dogs, cattle, or horse. Mosquitoes are tee-tiny here; we are used to the biiig tiger mosquitoes, these are the little ones. You will probably have to get fly spray for your livestock; or they even have pretty cool apparatus that you can set up that the cattle walk under to get to feed or water that 'powders' them with fly repellant. You'd think with all of the sand here we would have fleas - I have yet to see one on my dogs in 3 years.

Again, where we live, having a swimming pool makes no sense at all. I mean, why would we need one to take care of, when there are rivers around us that are clear, cold, and sweet - and incidentally full of fish like bass and trout? Folks have truck and tractor tubes that they inflate (some get mighty fancy) and leave one vehicle at one place, drive another with the tubes 3-8 miles upstream, and throw them and the kids into the river and tube it. There are few 'bad spots' so even little children do it. You can always stop and swim, or just float along, watchng the wildlife and flora pass by.

Sadly, there is a prevalance of drunk drivers - usually at night after the kids are home from school and football/bball practice. We are rarely visited by State Patrol out here, but the county guys as well as the townies are very strict about speed limits. 5 mph is all you had better go over the speed limit. Our 2 lane country roads here are posted at 65, for the most part - but you have to keep your eyes peeled for tractors (we have wide berms, but they can't get all the way off) and cattle trucks coming out of what doesn't even look like a road... The roads are pretty good; not a lot of potholes or rough driving - but they have to be repaved every few years due to the constant scraping of snow and sandings. (They use readily-available sand out here, not salt). Our road guys are very responsible; getting up at 4:00 sometimes to go out and scrape; one even led a bus down its afternoon route, and then back to the school, on the paved road during a sudden afternoon blizzard that blew up. Some deer, turkey, and antelope as well as pheasant are suicidal and will leap in front of you/under your vehicle. Those danged red-tailed hawks, golden and bald eagles are completely unconcerned about feasting on road kill in front of your car, too; they will not move and give you a bad look when you go around them.

LOL there is an accent here!! It is slower and more rounded than the clipped canadian/norweigian lilt of Minnesota, but it is still prevalent. Popular sayings are "it is what it is" and "you betcha!" They say sack instead of bag, pop instead of coke or soda. Where I live the terminology is blunt, they don't say "Rocky Mountain Oysters" they say "nuts". People are not physically affectionate to each other in this area, "No PDAs" is serious business, even for old married couples. My DH causes a comment or two still when he kisses me hello or goodbye.

It has taken us three years to do as our neighbors do; leave the house and cars unlocked, windows down, and keys in the ignition "in case someone needs to move it or use it". Everyone I know open-carries, and we have very little crime (aside from the self-inflicted DUI types). It always cracks me up when people point at "the bad kids" - they don't sell or use crack or meth on school property, they all wear belts and boots (even many of the girls!) and you can't see anyone's underwear, they might occasionally cut loose and play their music loudly but some adult will tell them to turn it down - and they do, and apologize. Adults play cribbage or poker several nights a week in the local bar/restaurant. The kids run in and out of the bar, order food, play pool, and bother no one. They are polite and say "Yes sir" and "no ma'm", "Excuse me" and "Please" and "Thank you".BTW, be warned - if you DO leave your doors unlocked, especially during harvest time, you may find anything from baked goods to zucchini on your table when you come home!

3 years ago, we moved 1700 miles and bought our property and 100 year old farmhouse on the northern edge of a village with 145 population. It is 38 miles to the nearest grocery store, although we can get staples (and fuel, and propane for the heater) at the gas station across the 2-lane highway. We also have a feed store and hardware store, and the local bar/restaurant. So we are probably a little more rural and possibly a little further west than you would like. I would look around Grand Island for a smaller town, or around Kearney, or even look west toward Chadron, all of which have excellent amenities. (Although I am prejudiced in favor of Chadron, a lovely little college town nestled in bluffs near the Wyoming line, with a lot of friendly people as well.) O'Neill, Valentine, and Bassett are fairly nice towns, but might not have the employment you are looking for. North Platte in the South is OK; too big for me of course but there are some pretty areas there too.

C'mon out and look! We love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else. We found our property and 5 others on landsofamerica.com, came out to see, fell in love, put down a downpayment, and went back east and packed.

Last edited by SCGranny; 10-02-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 AM

209 posts, read 432,749 times
I currently have a pool here in AZ, but would ditch that idea in NE. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:02 PM

350 posts, read 740,599 times

Down here near the Kansas border and about equidistant from Colorado and Missouri it doesn't start getting very cold until the end of November (highs of 40 and low of 18), it can be frigid in December through March - periods of single digit and below zero cold are not unusual though the average is a high of about 36 during the day and low of around 11 at night. This sounds bad but then its not humid cold so it doesn't feel as bad as Chicago or Western New York. We have a lot more sun in our winters here and a lot less snow than you would in Western New York (maybe about 20 inches a year scattered out over a few storms - as poster said before 30 in omaha and down in Imperial/Benkelman (help me out ItsMeFred) probably even less snow than in South Central NE) - the further west the less snow and the drier.) Always windy so the windchill is definitely a factor. I've found the winter here to be refreshing and I like the dry as opposed to humid cold. Its certainly a change from the strong heat and humidity (b/c of the irrigation) of the summer.

Not really I rarely ever see such things out here. The flies and mosquitoes can get bad in the summer but no different than in most states. I don't see a ton of ticks, snakes, or dangerous spiders. I think they have snakes in the Western part of the state though (rattlers). I remember having roaches in my house routinely when I lived in South Carolina. Not because I lived in an unclean house but more because there were plentiful in a hot, humid climate like South Carolina's. It freaked me out at first but then I got used to them. Here I virtually NEVER see a single bug in my house - its awesome.

Flies and mosquitoes can be bad outside in the summer - not sure if its because they are attracted by the corn or what. Drive across the state on I-80 in the summer in a totally washed cleaned and waxed car, by the time you have gone 100 miles the front end of your car will be COVERED with bug parts. It was so bad one evening driving back from Omaha that I stopped at a gas station just to wash my windshield because I couldn't see and I had just washed and cleaned the car in full prior to my trip out there!

Yes it would. Not many people have them (water is expensive?) and/or there are plenty of lakes or rivers to go swim in. There are often town pools but it is mostly kids that go to them. Nebraska esp down here near Kansas can get extremely hot and humid in the summer often for prolonged periods of time thus any kind of water is nice. You could probably use it with a pool heater from the end of April/beg. of May to the end of Sept/beg. of October. With no pool heater Memorial to Labor Day. With a pool heater you could get a pretty decent season out of it.

Speed limits are higher than eastern states (75 on the interstate, 60 in rural areas). Enforcement varies - just like it would in any other state. Prevalence of uninsured drivers and/or drunk drivers I don't think differs much from many states. I think most drivers here are insured because you are required to show proof of insurance when you go register a car. Treacherous road conditions - out-of-staters driving on I-80 in the winter when there is ice and snow esp Colorado people. Otherwise not a lot of treacherous conditions. For this reason although I don't mind taking I-80 in summer, spring, and fall I avoid it like the plague when there is ice and/or snow, aggressive drivers, tons of semis = tons of accidents.

Yes I think so. Maybe the urban areas don't have one but I don't think they do in a lot of places. People here say "dinner" instead of "lunch", "supper" instead of "dinner", "pop" instead of "soda". People say crick instead of creek and ky-yote instead of coyote. People often turn "ing" words into "in'" words - like thats what I was sayin' or I was doin' instead of saying or doing. Also instead of saying "was" and "were" just "was" - "We were" becomes "We was". I think it combines Midwest nasalness with a little bit of Southern (being near KS) and also Upper Midwestern/Dakota elements. Some people have a much stronger accent than others. Where Granny lives sounds like the Dakota emphasis becomes a little more present - "yea", "well", "oh yea?", "you bet". The idea that different places don't have accents is hogwash - once you leave the cities most areas in the country do have accents even in the Midwest - i.e. Wisconsin's "beg" instead of "bag" and "melk" instead of "milk". Nebraska is interesting in that although I consider it a solidly Northern state it has different elements of a lot of different things - Midwest and West and Dakotas, not so much south except down in South Central and Southeast Nebraska. I think its that not so many people are familiar with regional dialects that aren't portrayed on mainstream tv. But spend enough time here and you will definitely hear an accent which while not as distinctive as a Southern drawl is still an accent.

Areas within 30 miles of Lincoln and Omaha would probably work. You could also try areas within 20-30 miles of bigger Nebraska towns like Columbus or Norfolk.

Northeast NE will be a little colder and the further East in Nebraska the more snow heavy (but never a ton of snow) but the difference is not huge.

Other than flies and mosquitoes not a ton here - most of the super nasty ones unlike down South get killed because of how cold our winters get.

See above you will probably like outside of Lincoln and Omaha about 30 miles outside or within 10-15 miles of Columbus or Norfolk (basically look where there are Walmarts within 10-15 mile reach in Eastern Nebraska.) Nebraska City might work too.

Pretty safe other than in a lot of Omaha, Grand Island, and Lexington.

Might Nebraska be a good fit for us and do you have any suggestions of towns to look at?[/quote]

I don't know, you haven't told us anything about the kind of setting you live in now in Western New York, what you enjoy doing for fun, what kind of jobs you have and what you are looking for. I think the weather and lack of bugs will be fine for you all and you definitely can find acreages and a good mix of being in the country but not too far from the city. You can also find areas without towns for 30-50 miles the further west you get.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Default Thanks and keep those answers comin'

What wonderful responses so far!

SCGranny - If somebody leaves baked goods and zuccini on my table while I'm out, I'll never know because my 4 dogs will have consumed it by the time I get back!

SCentralNEGuy - To give you more info. on us, we live in the country bordering suburbs to our west in the direction of Buffalo. Many horse farms around us and a chicken farm too. To our north are vinyards, to the east corn fields, and to the south lots of dairy farms. My life revolves around my animals, horses and dogs. I am a dog trainer and also give a few english and western riding lessons each week. Husband is a computer programmer and extremely good at what he does.

So far, NE sounds great! Upon consideration, I would have a pool. I have one here in WNY and even though I only use it for 2 and a half months of the year, I sure do enjoy it for that time. I also love lakes and swimming holes. Can't get enough swimming if you ask me and the dogs love it too.

I have to believe the winters would not be as miserable as what we experience here in the Buffalo area. Truly, I want all 4 seasons and can handle freezing temps and snow. Its just that I would appreciate if real winter could be contained to Nov., Dec., Jan., and Feb. Sun in winter sounds soooo delightful. Would be a major step up for me.

Is the wind really a year round phenomenon? I don't know how I'd do with that. Wind has never bothered me, it is usually pretty fun, but then again I can't remember ever having to deal with it for months on end with no relief..

Would you say you have much of a Fall and Spring in NE? We don't here. Just winter and summer.

It sounds like the NE bug and dangerous critter situation is as good as it gets anywhere in the USA. That's the good part of having a true winter season

On the accent - I bring up this person's name NOT to get into a discussion on her, but just to use as an example: does the NE accent sound sort of like how Sarah Palin talks?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times
Nah, Sarah's more Midwestern, IMHO, a slower less-clipped drawl than you'll hear out in the country here.

Well, the wind does blow all the time. Of course, it does mean that you will be amazed at how clean the roadways are! Seriously, to me, it is wonderful... when the summer storms come we've clocked winds at 80 mph, during blizzards as high as 60 mph... but most of the time there are uplifting breezes that keep your house cool in the evenings. If you are REALLY rural in the western part of the state, you'll hear the old tales of how the sound of the endless wind and loneliness used to drive some women crazy, and some folks don't like it even now. We joke about it, like - can you imagine the horror of having one of those huge inflatable Christmas decorations on your lawn, and late one night your neighbor's child wakes up screaming at the HUGE Santa's face plastered against his window... I leave my window open at night except in the dead of winter; it wakes me up when the weather changes, and I love to listen to it in my maples and cottonwoods. We brought a huge yard glider with us when we came as well as a gorgeous arbor, both are now secured with (hidden) stakes and small chains around the bases - just for the occasional gusts, not for everyday!

Right now we are having fall; highs in the 70's-80's, lows in the low 40's; but it got down to freezing briefly last week. We have brilliant golds in the maples and river birches starting; some stunning deep reds already. Even the grasses turn colors here in the fall; if you drive along the rivers you can see a tumbling and vibrant fall leaf show that rivals the "leaf peepers" out east's fondest drives! Spring is a slow starter; talk to your neighbors about when to put out your plants or use cold frames. But when it comes, it is glorious.

Thanks, NEGuy, I'd forgotten about the 'yotes. They are pretty bad out in ranch country, you can hear the packs singing especially in the winter. As soon as we hear them, though, our horse is herding our cattle into the corral and guarding them... she hates 'yotes. They are considered varmints out here, as are rabbits and badgers, and most folks kill them on sight. But we never seem to run out of them... There are some pretty awesome beavers out here, as well as coons and skunks; a fella comes through twice a year to buy pelts.

Ya, a 'dog trainer' might do well even rurally - if you trained dogs to herd, that is! We bought a class on CD from a woman in CO to train ours; everyone pretty much trains their own out here! There are a lot of aussies, heelers, border collies out here and crosses of same; everyone has their own favorites. Close in to the towns they have the pets and dog parks, though.

There are a lot of really nice folks out this way on the NE C-D, but don't get concerned if they don't answer right away. Some only come on once or twice a week, or depending on their jobs and lifestyles. More will chime in eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska