Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,244,079 times

Advertisements

You probably already have your lodging figured out, but were I you, I'd look into staying at Chadron or Fort Rob at one of the cabins in either campground. (Chadron's have A/C, Fort Rob's do not, though they have a lodge that has A/C)

As well as others mentioned, sites to see:
Hudson-Meng dig,
Chadron's Museum of the Fur Trade (Assuming the fire didn't do any damage to it last summer)
Agate Fossil Beds, south of Harrison

Eatin' places:
(you might have trouble with a picky palate in rural, western NE)
Stubb's on Hwy2, outside Thedford
Sioux Sundries at Harrison
Doubt JT, Hyannis
Frontier, Crawford
(Lake Mac--Do *not* eat at the Valentino's in Ogallala, you will be disappointed)

The one we always hit when we're in that neck of the woods though is good old Donald's Drive-in, in Chadron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 PM

852 posts, read 1,359,627 times
Default Trip

Tomorrow is the big day! We'll leave early in the morning... maybe around 6 and start making our way west. We have a loose outline of our trip:

Day 1 we plan to drive from La Vista to Lake McConaughy, where we'll spend the first night camping. I've heard conflicting reports that its not worth seeing and that it is. Has anyone been there lately?

Day 2 we'll drive from the lake to Scottsbluff, where we'll do some sightseeing and stay at Comfort Inn and head out for a night on the town. How is the Comfort Inn? Recommended Mexican restaraunts?

Day 3 we plan to head to the Toadstool/Fort Robinson, where we'll spend a night or two. We plan to camp at Fort Robinson.

If we spend one night there, we'll probably spend the fourth night in Valentine.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Any more would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:32 AM

852 posts, read 1,359,627 times
Default We're off

We're hitting the road now. Wanted to drop by and say thanks one last time. I'll be taking my laptop so feel free to post suggestions and I'll check from Scottsbluff on Friday/Saturday. Take care.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,570,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
We're hitting the road now. Wanted to drop by and say thanks one last time. I'll be taking my laptop so feel free to post suggestions and I'll check from Scottsbluff on Friday/Saturday. Take care.
'

Just for the history and amazement of what the pioneers did, be sure to check out Chimmney Rock and go into the little onsite building they have... not tons to see, but does give an appreciation for how important that little piece of rock was to the countries expansion.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 PM

26,458 posts, read 46,733,658 times
The Sand Hills is excellent if you crave the isolation and stark landscapes of the Great Plains. Just make sure that your car is in top working order. The towns in north-central Nebraska are few and far between.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,244,079 times
I wouldn't worry about car trouble.
Sandhillers'll actually stop to check on you if you're broke down alongside the road.

So far as authentic Mexican restarants in the Bluffs: They're everywhere. Scottsbluff has had a major Mexican influence for decades.
My husband and I love Taco Town the best though. lol Not exactly fancy, but definately authentic. If they're not out of business, that is. Seems like they're running, then they're not, then they are...

Lake Mac--Is definately down, but it's still a pretty big pond. You do want to see it.
While you're in that area, you should stop and see Ash Hollow (by Lewellen). Wagon ruts are still visible from 150 years ago.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 08-30-2007 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska