Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,481,450 times

Advertisements

On a side note. We just moved into our house in May 2009. Fortunately, the last couple years have seemed relatively quiet in terms of severe weather. I remember a few storms since we've moved in, but nothing crazy yet. Which is good, because in the last couple years I have realized that our house doesn't really have a spot that I would feel very safe in in the event of a tornado.

We have an walk out basement that is unfinished, so while some of it is underground there is not much for anything protecting you from the part that is above ground with windows! We'd be safer crouched in the stairwell rather than actually entering the basement. I've been wanting to build something, but have delayed thus far. With the outbreak down south and with 2 years of relatively calm storm seasons here I figured it's time to get serious.

I'm enclosing the area under my stairs so we have a place to go. I think even being a walk out basement, it's still the best place to do during severe weather, so I just need someplace that is closed off from the potential breaking glass and flying debris. Plus something that isn't below heavy furniture or appliances in the event of a floor collapse. So enclosing the under the stairs seem to fit the bill. Not to mention it's probably the least expensive option.

Hopefully what I'm doing will provide us a reasonable amount of safety. The enclosure itself will unfortunately not be a concrete bunker like some designs I've seen online, but I'm assuming that a sturdy enclosed structure located in the basement will be sufficient.

I'm adding support posts to the stairs to help prevent the stairs collapsing from above. The walls that are facing the windows and above grade side of the basement are going to be regular studded walls with additional horizontal and vertical braces within, and 2-6 inches of polystyrene in the gaps to hopefully act as a energy absorber in the event of a projectile impact, with 2x6 facing to enclose the studs front and back. Essentially creating a 6" thick reinforced wall with a combination of wood studs and polystyrene foam, in the basement, under the stairs. I assume that's more than the average home that many people survive tornadoes in all the time. So I hope it's enough. I suppose if it's not, God must really want us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM

696 posts, read 1,734,299 times
A safe place in a house actually scares me.
When choosing the location you have to think about how you are going to be rescued.

Imagine the walls blow out the the roof drops straight down.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,481,450 times
Being rescued after is something to consider, but there isn't much I can do about that at the moment. The best I can do for that is hope my various friends and family scattered around the city are ok and come to try and help me once they realize my neighborhood has been hit. I also plan on putting a sign or two that says "tornado shelter", perhaps the rescuers will see that and look for us there. The entry into the shelter will be separated from the main basement area by an interior wall, hopefully this will decrease the risk of being trapped. I may evaluate this further and see what additional measures I can take for possible alternate escape paths.

I'm confident in my shelter area being able to protect against a main floor wall and roof collapse, the basement windows being blown out, and protect from anything in the basement that becomes air born including the furnace and hot water tank. I should be safe from the majority of storms.

However, if the tornado takes my cars from my garage and throws them directly at me, that might be a different story, but I can't wrap my head around that much force nor try to attempt to repeal that with store bought materials. If this happens, hopefully the shelter will help, otherwise it's just our time to go.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:28 AM

4,171 posts, read 10,736,626 times
On the Weather Channel (AKA "old peoples' MTV") they had a show about two women who had a tornado shelter built into the center of their home. Four-inch thick poured-cement walls with rebar throughout. The house was completely destroyed - except for the 'safe room' they were in.

I believe in taking resonable precautions, of course. But I do think that if it's your time, you're going to go. We responded to a call once on a clear, cloudless, windless day. A fella had just gotten back from a military tour in Bosnia. He wanted to impress his friends and family (he had been poor all his life), so with his re-enlistment bonus, he had bought a brand-new convertible. He was driving to see his Mom and Dad, and a huge tree - uncut, no one around -snapped off, fell out of the surrounding woods and smashed him and his car flat. There was nothing any of us could have done... Do what you can to protect yourself, of course, but too much worrying about what 'might' happen only causes gastric upset and sleepless nights.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,137,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
On the Weather Channel (AKA "old peoples' MTV") they had a show about two women who had a tornado shelter built into the center of their home. Four-inch thick poured-cement walls with rebar throughout. The house was completely destroyed - except for the 'safe room' they were in.

I believe in taking resonable precautions, of course. But I do think that if it's your time, you're going to go. We responded to a call once on a clear, cloudless, windless day. A fella had just gotten back from a military tour in Bosnia. He wanted to impress his friends and family (he had been poor all his life), so with his re-enlistment bonus, he had bought a brand-new convertible. He was driving to see his Mom and Dad, and a huge tree - uncut, no one around -snapped off, fell out of the surrounding woods and smashed him and his car flat. There was nothing any of us could have done... Do what you can to protect yourself, of course, but too much worrying about what 'might' happen only causes gastric upset and sleepless nights.
Well - still not abad idea to have a safe room- why take an uncalculated risk.

Your odds of getting killed in a tornado or smashed from a tree on a virtually windless day are probably pretty nill

Sad ending to the story -but if i lived in a serious tornado alley -
you better believe it i would get a really strong tornado room
i even thought about getting one here in Illinois
the storms are not as severe but they do happen.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:41 PM

60+ tornadoes last weekend and none in Nebraska.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 AM

400 posts, read 954,926 times
It only takes one. And as stated before Nebraska gets the most in June.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,206,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomama2 View Post
It only takes one. And as stated before Nebraska gets the most in June.
True, but May barely lags June for Nebraska. It's like our tornado season begins a week or two later on average than it does in Oklahoma. The tornado season in South Dakota sees a real Sharp increase in June as opposed to May. North Dakota sees their highest from June through August.

Tornado Frequency Peak Months Differ by State

Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 AM

400 posts, read 954,926 times
Given the tornado activity going on in Nebraska now, June is in full force! Ugh

Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Just baby storms, no real damage or deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska