Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,260,216 times

Advertisements

Creepy. but It makes sense with only 1 leg for weight bearing up front.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,449,712 times
You can tell it's a fake.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,530,401 times
I don't think it is fake at all. An animal that has lost a front leg like that will learn to compensate and walk upright. We all know bears stand upright often anyway to get a better view of what is going on around it. I wonder if her baby will learn to walk that way from seeing her do it.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,243,199 times
We now have a great new video of Big Foot! This would explain many of the large tracks found and never the new species. If you look close at the video; you will see that more of the bear's foot is touching the ground when walking upright. It also only does this for short periods and then goes back to it's three legged walk.

Here is a picture I took of a deer that had only three legs. The deer had compensated by carrying most of it's weight on it's hind legs. It's hind leg hooves were worn down from the extra weight. Even with arthritis, severe scars from his wounds; he still mated with one doe that hung around our house!

Old 09-05-2013, 04:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,334,005 times
I was thinking the same thing about the video fisheye...I could see someone figuring it was a sasquatch they were seeing, especially when it was walking through the bush....It's pretty neat that the bear lived through the trauma (and the pain it must have gone through), and healed...Even cooler that she now has a cub, she looks like a good momma bear.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I was thinking the same thing about the video fisheye...I could see someone figuring it was a sasquatch they were seeing, especially when it was walking through the bush....It's pretty neat that the bear lived through the trauma (and the pain it must have gone through), and healed...Even cooler that she now has a cub, she looks like a good momma bear.
The bear in that video was not taking any giant steps. I don't think that it could run on just two legs? But I think the tracks would give anybody the impression that they had just encountered Big Foot tracks. There are animals that run around with terrible injuries from car accidents and hunting injuries. Many do not survive these traumatic injuries - but some do and that could account for the scarcity of Big Foot tracks.

Like you also point out: Somebody seeing it would not be sure what they saw - especially in heavy brush.

I can picture sasquatch 'experts' immediately ruling out bear because the animal walked on two feet!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:19 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,530,401 times
We used to have a momma raccoon that had a missing front leg. She and her babies would come into our backyard at night and eat our birdfood.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
We used to have a momma raccoon that had a missing front leg. She and her babies would come into our backyard at night and eat our birdfood.
We are more than aware that raccoons love black oily sunflower seeds. I used to fight with my wife because she thought that it was early morning squirrels that came in and ate the seeds. She felt that way until we turned a security camera on the birdfeeder and caught the culprits! We did enjoy watching them but ended up with too many - so we brought our feeders in.

Out of curiosity; did your three legged mother spend some time standing/walking on it's hind legs? With the buck, in the picture I posted, it has a very curved back. It supported most of it's weight on it's hind legs. But it did have other injuries to it's remaining front leg. In the walking upright bear picture it is had to determine if the bear had injuries to it's remaining front leg (bears have thick fur and the picture was from a distance).

The one thing that all of this proves is that wildlife can endure great pain and still survive. These animals have really shown us a very strong will to live. Your raccoon was still taking care of it's babies, the mother bear was taking care of her babies and my buck was doing what buck do in mating season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature