Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times

Advertisements

We are currently selling our home in the NE and are planning on moving down to the Nashville area. While we first thought we'd focus on the Brentwood/Franklin area - we are now considering Fairview as it so closely mimics the town we currently live in. Can anyone tell us if Fairview is child-friendly (3 year old and newborn)? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
In what ways is it similar? Fairview is a friendly, country town, but it does not have a lot of the typical kid activities. It's a pretty far from everything.
What are the main things you'd want to be available for your child?

Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 PM

43 posts, read 104,817 times
As a resident of Fairview with 3 boys ages 11, 9, and 6, I can speak to this question. Fairview is a small town with family values. Simply stated, we watch out for each other.
As far as activities for children, you have Bowie nature park with a large playground, hiking trails, lakes and a nature center (largest city park in the state), story time at the library, childcare included with your membership at the rec center (the jazzercise classes are awesome and there is a full workout facility), huge pool at the rec center with 3 slides and a great snack bar, kinder music classes and other classes and events for toddlers at the rec center, playground equipment at the soccer fields next to the rec center, Groovy's Goodies candy store next to the post office etc... Fairview is also close to Bellevue (15 min.) where you will find a ton of child friendly activities. You will love Monkey's Tree House which is a hands on indoor playground. There is also the Bellevue YMCA and Warner Parks and nature center just to name a few. Not to mention all the child friendly activities in Franklin (i.e. The Jump Zone) and Dickson (i.e. the Renaissance Center). I hope this helps and good luck with your move to TN!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:48 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In what ways is it similar? Fairview is a friendly, country town, but it does not have a lot of the typical kid activities. It's a pretty far from everything.
What are the main things you'd want to be available for your child?
I should have said in my original post that I "felt" they were similar - as I obviously don't have any first-hand knowledge of Fairview other than what I have garnered on the internet.

That said - we currently live in a small semi-rural community of about 8,000. The minimum zoning for our area is 1 acre - and we enjoy the privacy this helps to foster. We are 2 miles from the beach/water and about a 15-20 minute drive to the nearest big town for box-store shopping (but we do have a supermarket, pizza, dry cleaners, etc. in our small 1 traffic light town).

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "pretty far" and use of the term "everything"?

Old 05-22-2010, 05:54 AM

Fairview is 30 minutes from Bellevue, an area of Nashville, on two-lane Highway 100, and 45 minutes the hard way (many back roads) from the region's major mall, CoolSprings Galleria, in Franklin.
It does sound like your town is very similar to Fairview. If you like the stuff Holly described above, it would probably be perfect because it is a really nice town with good people.
In the next 10 years it will grow more, but right now it does not have easy access to a lot of the typical kid activities (day camps, movie theater, YMCA, toy store, pools etc.)

Old 05-22-2010, 11:45 AM

451 posts, read 1,372,117 times
I don't know enough about Fairview's children's activities to help, but i DO know that we ran across some of the nicest people EVER when our truck broke down and we had to wait forever for reinforcements to come from home. A place like that can't be bad!

Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 PM

43 posts, read 104,817 times
Fairview is not 30 min. from Bellevue (unless you were driving way under the speed limit). I live on the farthest side of Fairview on Hwy 100 west and it takes me exactly 21 min. from my house to my 8:30 am Zumba class at the YMCA. Williamson County Parks and recreation runs a summer day camp for kids out of Westwood Elementary, Bowie Park has a summer day camp and we are home to one of the finest summer day camps in the state: Whippoorwill Farm day camp. The pool is located at the rec center.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Cool. I was using the Carmike 8 movie theater as a landmark in the Hwy 70 commercial area, where most of the major commercial stuff in Bellevue is. Mapquest says it's 27 minutes to there from Fairview, so I called it 30 mins.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 25,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Cool. I was using the Carmike 8 movie theater as a landmark in the Hwy 70 commercial area, where most of the major commercial stuff in Bellevue is. Mapquest says it's 27 minutes to there from Fairview, so I called it 30 mins.
It's 14 miles from the Bellevue exit to the Fairview exit from the interstate so that's 14 minutes if you only drive 60 mph. It will take you 12 minutes from exit to exit if you go the speed limit.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 PM

8 posts, read 25,446 times
It's a very very safe town. The downfall in Fairview is limited retail convenience but that is changing now with Publix grocery complex being built now. It will open in January and there will be 6 or 8 stores connected to Publix as well as 4 restaurant outparcels available. So, this shopping center alone will help a lot. Auto Zone and O'Reilly autoparts were recently built in Fairview. Autozone is open and O'Reilly is opening in a couple of weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville