Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:58 AM

100 posts, read 353,109 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking around this board since February trying to help me decide where we should move--your posts have helped alot. I think we have decided on the Lebanon area and wanted input.

We have two girls--ages 6 and 11. The older one is in the gifted program at school and I want to make sure that she continues in a good school. She is also currently on a year round swim team and does very well. The younger one is into soccer and karate. Access to this stuff for them is important. Is Lebanon a mistake? Should we move closer to Murfreesboro??

My husband has found an old house--built in 1923--on 9 acres but the land has a lot of rock so we don't think it will pass a perk test. Does this make the land unusable? Is this a good investment anyway?? The house seems to be in good shape but it is scary buying a home that old. His parents house is over 100 years old so he likes that kind of thing--I am less convinced.

My husband is a project manager and flies to his job site each week--home on Friday back out on Monday--so we need to be a reasonably (30 - 45 minutes) close to the airport.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:04 PM

29 posts, read 125,844 times
Lebanon would be about 30 minutes from the airport, I think it's a nice town but don't really know a lot about it. Supposedly one of the antiqique shops on the square has a bigfoot head in a jar,LOL. I don't know about the schools but there are ample martial arts opportunities here, with several tournaments thoughout the southeast. Nashville has everything from Tae Kwon Do to Akido to Shaolin Kung Fu and Lebanon I'm sure has several Karate schools to choose from. There used to be a martial arts and sword store in Lebanon near teh burger king but i think it's gone out.

The gifted program in school sounds like our "magnet" program in Nashville you may want to check whether Lebanon has that or not. Another nice place not quite so far out but with a rural feel is Mt Juliet and it's near the airport on the east side of Nashville as well. Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Does anyone else have an opinion on Lebanon/Wilson County? Is this a good place to go our should I look at another county for school and kid activities?

Thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 03:58 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,273,097 times
I don't know a lot about it either (and nothing about the schools there), but, just from living in the same general area, I think it's a nice place to raise a family. You don't hear a lot of bad things happening in Lebanon on the TV news or in the newspaper. It's probably big enough to have the activities that you mentioned, but you'd have to look and see; there is soccer programs everywhere this days, and generally a karate studio or two around.

As for the old house, a house built in 1923 might be better built than what's being built these days. You want to look closely at the house, of course. Check out the foundation, plumbing, electrical, roof, etc. If you or your husband can't do it, then hire a good inspector to go over the house from top to bottom. See if it's been updated to be more energy efficient; in the old days they didn't use much insulation, but most houses have now been updated.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 PM

120 posts, read 459,806 times
Wilson County schools are pretty good! Lebanon is a pretty nice town! I'm doing my internship in Lebanon and am constantly finding new things about the town! The square is nice, there is an outlet mall, several restaurants etc.

It still has the small town feel, but it is close to Nashville!

Any other specific questions, let me know (I can ask the girls at my internship!).

Old 06-15-2007, 09:09 PM

Oh, there is a wonderful park (play areas, pavilions, swimming pool etc) in Lebanon as well! Very family friendly!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Have you looked into Mt. Juliet? It is still in Wilson county but closer to the Nashville airport!!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:22 AM

16,180 posts, read 32,607,316 times
My mother was a principal in Lebanon schools and now works for the state in the Dept of Education. There are some other issues there, but of course that can be said of any place. I do make sure that I always drive the exact speed limit and watch my driving p's and q's when I am there to avoid any interaction with "the law" there. While Lebanon has its qualities, I personally would choose M'boro.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
My mother was a principal in Lebanon schools and now works for the state in the Dept of Education. There are some other issues there, but of course that can be said of any place. I do make sure that I always drive the exact speed limit and watch my driving p's and q's when I am there to avoid any interaction with "the law" there. While Lebanon has its qualities, I personally would choose M'boro.
Can you elaborate on the "issues"? Are the police terrible or do they just take the opportunity to add more money to their accounting departments?

Why do you like M'boro better? Does the traffic bother you?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyp View Post
Oh, there is a wonderful park (play areas, pavilions, swimming pool etc) in Lebanon as well! Very family friendly!
We have looked at Mt. Juliet but did not find exactly what we were looking for. My husband wants a decent amount of land--nothing below an acre and we have two kids and my mom lives with us. It has been difficult to pick a town and a house. I hate to be so picky but I know that my husband will not move once we get up there--so once we get something I am probably stuck with it for awhile. We have been in our current house for 17 years--it was our first house. I want to make sure that the girls won't have to change schools--once they get to Tennessee. They have been with the same kids their whole lives and are very nervous about the the move.

Could you ask your friends what they know about the middle schools and high schools?

Thanks,

Tammy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville