Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:40 PM

815 posts, read 2,033,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workinghard View Post
I grew up in Nashville in the late 70's and 80's.

I remember going "skatin" Friday night or Saturday at Brentwood Skate Center. I think the rink is still there.
Buying all my school clothes at Castners in Harding Mall. Now we have to travel to Cool Springs. The smell of carmel popcorn walking into HM.
Getting dropped off at HH Mall on Saturdays. Playing pacman in the arcade.
Working at Opryland in the summer as a sweeper. I had to sweep cigarette butts and clean bathrooms but I was a "greeter".
Brentwood was a small town with some wealthy people but Nashville had everything.
The polyester watch on the radio during Country music week.
Does anyone remember the Donelson Skating Rink? I grew up in Donelson untill my family moved to Antioch when I was 8, but the Donelson Skating Rink was the first experience of a skating rink I had. It was in a little white building. Also anyone remember the Hickory Hollow Skating and Harding Place Skate? What about the old Ice Skating Rink, before Centinnel Sportsplex, near the park? Used to go there too as a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 PM

76 posts, read 224,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Does anyone remember the Donelson Skating Rink? I grew up in Donelson untill my family moved to Antioch when I was 8, but the Donelson Skating Rink was the first experience of a skating rink I had. It was in a little white building. Also anyone remember the Hickory Hollow Skating and Harding Place Skate? What about the old Ice Skating Rink, before Centinnel Sportsplex, near the park? Used to go there too as a child.
I remember going skating at Hickory Hollow! I may have been to the Donelson Skate Center, was it near where Lebanon Rd and Donelson Pk intersection? Never went ice skating until Centennial Plex opned. My family also moved from Donelson to Antioch when I was 9. I was in Donelson a few weeks ago when I was in town visiting, that area has really grown. My family lived in the Reelfoot Subdivision, I remember the only store that was near our house was the Bread Box and maybe the Cracker Barrel and one hotel was at the Stewarts Ferry exit, now that area appears to be very congested and built up. I kind of preferred Antioch over Donelson, to me it just had that more homelike feeling to it.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 AM

50 posts, read 115,694 times
Enjoying this thread. I grew up in Lawrenceburg, but my father grew up in Nashville. I remember my grandfather being excited about 440 being built. And I remember driving to Nashville and feeling like we were finally there when we past the skating rink in Brentwood (that was the first sign of civilization). Even though I don't remember some of memories posted here, I've heard about them from my parents. Interesting to read.

I lived in Franklin for 3 years after finishing college. It has grown so much over the past 10 years!!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM

815 posts, read 2,033,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieP View Post
Enjoying this thread. I grew up in Lawrenceburg, but my father grew up in Nashville. I remember my grandfather being excited about 440 being built. And I remember driving to Nashville and feeling like we were finally there when we past the skating rink in Brentwood (that was the first sign of civilization). Even though I don't remember some of memories posted here, I've heard about them from my parents. Interesting to read.

I lived in Franklin for 3 years after finishing college. It has grown so much over the past 10 years!!
LOL@ fist signs of civilization once you reached the Brentwood Skating Rink, LOL, how things have changed. I was told that the interstates used to end at Old Hickory Blvd, at least I know on the southeast side of I-24 in Antioch. You had to get off of it and go to Murfreesboro rd to go further southeast.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,805,988 times
Well, as for me it was all about the 80's and early 90's. My parents and I drove to Nashville every month to sell stuff at this huge outdoor antiques market. Being from much smaller Knoxville 3 hours east Nashville seemed like this HUGE city. I remember we would pass by the "batman" building and the lights were sometimes turned out to spell different things. Nashville was sort of a dump back then. When I visited more recently I was surprised at how cleaned up it was compared to what it was like as a kid.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:19 PM

13,390 posts, read 40,246,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Well, as for me it was all about the 80's and early 90's. My parents and I drove to Nashville every month to sell stuff at this huge outdoor antiques market. Being from much smaller Knoxville 3 hours east Nashville seemed like this HUGE city. I remember we would pass by the "batman" building and the lights were sometimes turned out to spell different things. Nashville was sort of a dump back then. When I visited more recently I was surprised at how cleaned up it was compared to what it was like as a kid.
That was the old American General Center (now called the Tennessee Tower) which used to spell different things, NOT the Batman building (now the AT&T Tower).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-04-2010, 02:19 AM

76 posts, read 224,452 times
I know it has been a while since anyone has posted on this topic, but I wanted to share something with those of you who may find it interesting. I was on YouTube and found some videos of old Christmas Parades in Nashville from the 50's and 60's and I also came across some clips from a show called Memories of Nashville, which has postings that talk about Fair Park and Harvey's Dep't Store and maybe a couple of other places.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 AM

940 posts, read 1,912,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Nashville was sort of a dump back then. When I visited more recently I was surprised at how cleaned up it was compared to what it was like as a kid.
I think a lot of cities go through a stage when they are a few hundred thousand metro population, where they no longer have the charm of a small town, the older buildings and infrastructure get a sooty, streaked look, and the wealth generated by the local economy just doesn't quite add up to any significant renovation of the area's structures, even if most of them mainly cry out for a pressure washer treatment. Nashville began to pull out of this stage in the 70's. Now I'm referring not to Nashville's residential areas, which have always been lovely, thanks to the terrain, and nice older structures closer in.

When I was at VU in 1969, I was hitchhiking to Atlanta to my grandmother's for Thanksgiving. I was picked up by an Atlanta married couple, also VU students who made clear their opinion of Nashville. The wife even cooed to her dog that they were taking him away from that lousy city for a few days. Atlanta at that time was about the size of present day Nashville, and had benefited from an explosion of innovative architecture, and looked gleaming compared to Nashville. Nowadays you can hear and read what Atlanta area folks say, and it is uniformly positive regarding Nashville.

From what I've seen of Knoxville lately, it is pulling ahead in this regard, and my brother may move there. We in Nashville in the mid '70's considered Knoxville a dump, which was the exact word we used.

Last edited by groovamos; 12-05-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,516,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I know it has been a while since anyone has posted on this topic, but I wanted to share something with those of you who may find it interesting. I was on YouTube and found some videos of old Christmas Parades in Nashville from the 50's and 60's and I also came across some clips from a show called Memories of Nashville, which has postings that talk about Fair Park and Harvey's Dep't Store and maybe a couple of other places.
The Memories of Nashville program was produced by WNPT here in Nashville (Public Broadcasting). They also did a good one about Opryland Theme Park too.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,645 times
Default Anyone remember Nashville or Charlotte Skate Centers

I grew up here in Nashville and went to Rainbow Skating Rink in Tusculum, off Nolensville Rd. When I was a around 13, my sister and I started going to Nashville Skate Center on Harding Pl., it burned down in the early 80's and was rebuilt as Music City Skate Center...Anyone remember any of those skating rinks and did you ever go there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville