Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,821,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I remember when Murfreesboro had nothing!!! Not even that long ago, 1999, when I first started MTSU there was only that one Walmart near the interstate. One new "student" style apartment complex and that was University Court, now there are like 1000 of them, LOL. I remember the old mall with the metal like ceiling, and the old Stones River Mall. I remember going to MTSU games as a child when they had the old stadium with the rust colored track. I remember when Murfreeboro only had the 2 exits, Franklin/Murfreesboro and the Shelbyville Exit, back before 840, Medical Center Pky, and that other exit futher out. I also remember Riverdale having the some of best Halftimers around. I remember when it used to be only 2 lanes on the interstate past Smryna. When I was real young I remeber when it was long distance to call to Murfreesboro... How times have changed... LOL.
Ah yes, I remember most of those things (except for the MTSU stuff). I remember when Red Lobster was a brand new Ryan's steak house, Hobby Lobby was Lowe's, and the Stones River Mall was being built across the street where Walmart was. Before that, Walmart was located where the M'boro Athletic Club is now (by Cici's pizza), and the Nissan dealer was Clark's department store. I remember when the Jackson Motel's sign included a large rebel flag. And Jackson Heights shopping center was actually a place people went to shop. There was Pigg & Parson's men's clothing store, and Carmike 6 was the big theater in town. Tops Hamburgers was in that little kiosk behind Toot's and the tire store, and I loved their burgers! Demos' was a Golden Coral, and where the Crye Lake Realty building is was Duff's smorgasbord. Big Lot's was the Kroger store we went to (before that it was in the UHaul place), and Kmart sold the only sub sandwiches I ever had until the Subway opened up at the new Georgetown shopping center. Northfield Blvd stopped at Sulphur Springs Road and started again after Memorial. Reeves Sain drug store was originally a toy store. I could keep going but I better stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
I loved Rax Roast Beef!, and I remember going to Showbiz Pizza before it was transformed into a Chuckie Cheese, and yes I also remember the alligator bottles. I laugh at it now, but you are a true Middle Tennessean if you have ever watched the plains take off and land at BNA. Wow those were simpler times then....
We loved watching those planes. That was always the highlight of the evening! And I never even flew on a plane until 2007!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:03 AM

815 posts, read 2,032,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Ah yes, I remember most of those things (except for the MTSU stuff). I remember when Red Lobster was a brand new Ryan's steak house, Hobby Lobby was Lowe's, and the Stones River Mall was being built across the street where Walmart was. Before that, Walmart was located where the M'boro Athletic Club is now (by Cici's pizza), and the Nissan dealer was Clark's department store. I remember when the Jackson Motel's sign included a large rebel flag. And Jackson Heights shopping center was actually a place people went to shop. There was Pigg & Parson's men's clothing store, and Carmike 6 was the big theater in town. Tops Hamburgers was in that little kiosk behind Toot's and the tire store, and I loved their burgers! Demos' was a Golden Coral, and where the Crye Lake Realty building is was Duff's smorgasbord. Big Lot's was the Kroger store we went to (before that it was in the UHaul place), and Kmart sold the only sub sandwiches I ever had until the Subway opened up at the new Georgetown shopping center. Northfield Blvd stopped at Sulphur Springs Road and started again after Memorial. Reeves Sain drug store was originally a toy store. I could keep going but I better stop!

We loved watching those planes. That was always the highlight of the evening! And I never even flew on a plane until 2007!
My parents told me about the Kroger being where UHal is when they went to MTSU in the early 70's ,and how there really was nothing in Murfreesboro back then, LOL..

I remember my dad taking to watch the planes take off at BNA, I had forgot about that.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:52 PM

I remember when the Hastings building was built, and the old Publix building across the street. The Publix building was originally a Red Foods grocery store, and Hastings was Winn Dixie. Red's later became BiLo, and Winn Dixie became Piggly Wiggly. Long John Silver's was a Rax, and MCalister's was Mazzio's Pizza (which was AWESOME). But before all that there was a little convenience store where Drink is now, across from the Kwik Sak. And where that Walgreens is was a really low-slung building that had several businesses inside. I'm sure they changed hands occasionally, but I specifically remember a little ice cream parlor around back. That was long before McDonalds or Taco Bell were built. Back then there a nursery across from where Winn Dixie was later built. It's crazy, I picture some things in my mind as clear as day, and other things I can't recall to save my life.

I remember when Old Fort park had a slide that was just comprised of steel rollers, which was a pretty clever idea. Until your thigh or butt-cheek got pinched between the rollers. The Hardee's on Broad Street beside Toot's used to have a playground around back. You can still see the area where it was located. It was a very unusual playground, because it had a giant robot you could climb all over, and if you went up to the top you could slide down its arms, which were slides. There was also a circular metal tower with a slide that went around and around.

Anyone else remember when there was a swimming pool in front of Oaklands mansion?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 PM

I stumbled upon some pictures of Nashville from the 70s and 80s in this person's Flickr account:

Nashville and Middle TN through the years - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/an0nym0usmuse/sets/1664498/ - broken link)

There aren't many there, but I like them. I was trying to find old pictures of Murfreesboro, but I didn't come up with much. Guess I'll just have to go through some old photo albums.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 PM

76 posts, read 224,393 times
Quote:
I stumbled upon some pictures of Nashville from the 70s and 80s in this person's Flickr account:

Nashville and Middle TN through the years - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/an0nym0usmuse/sets/1664498/ - broken link)

There aren't many there, but I like them. I was trying to find old pictures of Murfreesboro, but I didn't come up with much. Guess I'll just have to go through some old photo albums.
Cool pics, btw....those pics made me think and wonder about something....did it seem like in previous years that it used to snow more in Nashville than it does now?

It seems like when I was a kid we had snowier winters and people were not completely as stupid when it snowed.....Now people completely freak out and panic!

When they forecast snow, instead of mentioning snow in the forecast they should use something like "folks it's a 4, 3, or 2 alarm loaf and gallon alert" depending on how many inches are forecasted and just leave it at that and let people run to Kroger in panic as they usually do.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 AM

I do remember more snow from when I was a child (80s), and I remember some much colder weather. One night our overnight low was -14. And I could be wrong, but I could have sworn we used to get at least one good snow per winter (4+ inches) and sometimes a few smaller ones. Now it seems like we're lucky if we get 1" all winter. Although last year we got one decent snow, but even then it was only about 3 inches.

And I don't really remember people freaking out about snow, either. I mainly remember people being kind of excited about it, but since I was just a child I may not have heard what a lot of adults had to say about it. I know us kids liked it!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I do remember more snow from when I was a child (80s), and I remember some much colder weather. One night our overnight low was -14. And I could be wrong, but I could have sworn we used to get at least one good snow per winter (4+ inches) and sometimes a few smaller ones. Now it seems like we're lucky if we get 1" all winter. Although last year we got one decent snow, but even then it was only about 3 inches.

And I don't really remember people freaking out about snow, either. I mainly remember people being kind of excited about it, but since I was just a child I may not have heard what a lot of adults had to say about it. I know us kids liked it!
Yes we did!!! Most of us anyways.....lol.....At least you confirmed that I am not completely crazy from remembering Nashville getting more snow in the past when we were growing up in the 80s....

Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 AM

815 posts, read 2,032,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdude View Post
Cool pics, btw....those pics made me think and wonder about something....did it seem like in previous years that it used to snow more in Nashville than it does now?

It seems like when I was a kid we had snowier winters and people were not completely as stupid when it snowed.....Now people completely freak out and panic!

When they forecast snow, instead of mentioning snow in the forecast they should use something like "folks it's a 4, 3, or 2 alarm loaf and gallon alert" depending on how many inches are forecasted and just leave it at that and let people run to Kroger in panic as they usually do.
Yes we did! I noticed that while looking at the pictures. It was a norm the winter for us to get a good snow(s) and I don't remember people panicing over it. It wasn't ice storms, or this powdery snow we get now, it was real, good, heavy, wet snow, that stook around for days. When they forcasted snow, it would snow, not like the guessing game they play now. My moms birthday is Jan. 27, she said that she could always gurantee snow on that day, until the last 10 years or so. It is so funny when out of towners new to the area say it doesn't snow in Nashville, or get freaked out over the threat of snow, Im always like, well it used to snow all the time, have pics to prove. After last years snows, and 2 cold winters in a row, 09 and 10, maybe we are getting back into a cold, snowier winter pattern, after 15 years.
Does anyone remember the blizzard of 93? I remember living in Antioch we had anywhere from 8-12 inches of snow, with 2 to 3 ft drifts with a high temp of like 0 on one of the days, the snow was around for at least 2 weeks. If I recall correctly this was an early March snow. Areas in Nashville north and west only had like an inch of snow while areas south and east, particually Murfreesboro, had up to a foot of snow with hudge snow drifts.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:17 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,859,466 times
There was much more snow in the 80s and 90s than the last decade. Although last winter seemed much more normal.

I remember a White Christmas in 92 or 93 and a couple other big snows. I also agree that less people know how to drive in snow now. I think its a combination of less winter weather and more transplants from places like CA and FL.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Yes we did! I noticed that while looking at the pictures. It was a norm the winter for us to get a good snow(s) and I don't remember people panicing over it. It wasn't ice storms, or this powdery snow we get now, it was real, good, heavy, wet snow, that stook around for days. When they forcasted snow, it would snow, not like the guessing game they play now. My moms birthday is Jan. 27, she said that she could always gurantee snow on that day, until the last 10 years or so. It is so funny when out of towners new to the area say it doesn't snow in Nashville, or get freaked out over the threat of snow, Im always like, well it used to snow all the time, have pics to prove. After last years snows, and 2 cold winters in a row, 09 and 10, maybe we are getting back into a cold, snowier winter pattern, after 15 years.
Does anyone remember the blizzard of 93? I remember living in Antioch we had anywhere from 8-12 inches of snow, with 2 to 3 ft drifts with a high temp of like 0 on one of the days, the snow was around for at least 2 weeks. If I recall correctly this was an early March snow. Areas in Nashville north and west only had like an inch of snow while areas south and east, particually Murfreesboro, had up to a foot of snow with hudge snow drifts.
I remember the blizzard of 93!! Metro sent all of us students home early that Friday before it even started snowing....lol......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville