Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,346 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband, our two boys ages 2 and 4 and I will be moving to Murfreesboro this summer. I am looking for neighborhood recommendations around MTSU (biking distance) as he will be teaching there (and would prefer not to mess with parking.) Hopefully we'll be able to rent a house with a little yard space for the boys to run around, but we are also considering moving into a family friendly apartment complex. Northfield Commons looks nice - how is the general neighborhood? Any other recommendations?

Also, I am looking for a preschool for my 4 year old and have taken a closer look at St. Marks United Methodist Preschool. Is anyone familiar with their program and can share their experience? Again, I would be thankful for other preschool recommendations as well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:58 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,974,774 times
Hi questionnaire,

Welcome to the boro! I can't answer your school questions, because I do not have children in school I can tell you that Northfield Commons is a nice complex. I have been there many times. I have friends that live there and seem to be happy. They are on their second lease there. The apartments are small though. Not sure if they would work with small kids. That would be up to you. As far as safety it's fine. There seems to be a nice mix of families and college students there. It is a well kept complex. There is grocery shopping not far away and a Walmart shopping center a bit further down Rutherford Blvd. All in all a pretty convenent place and close to the college for your husband.

Good Luck with your move. I'm sure some residents with children will be along to answer school questions for you.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 9,074 times
There is a neighborhood that you should look at that is right down the road from Northfield Commons. I believe it is called East Woods (there is no sign), but is informally known as Gold Valley. The main roads are Gold Valley Drive and Woods Edge Drive if you wanted to map the area. There are usually several rental houses for lease that are listed online at any given time in this subdivision, as it is popular with both students and young families. You may also find a few other suitable properties for families around campus, but selection is limited if your husband is planning on biking to MTSU. The selection should go up tremendously during the summer, but the properties will go quickly due to the amount of students seeking housing. Parking on campus isn't too difficult before 10 in the morning, especially for faculty and staff (depending on the department he will be teaching in), so you may want to expand your search area slightly.

Northfield Commons is a nice complex. I agree with everything that Kim918 pointed out. Many of the apartment complexes around MTSU are student oriented, but you should find several that meet your criteria. Northfield Commons, Dana Downs, and Colony House Apartments are all within biking distance and would be suited for a family and less student oriented.

I dont know anything about preschools, but I know that the John Pittard Elementary is a very good school, as is the Discovery School at Reeves Rogers. Both are within a few miles of the area you are looking in and you should be able to find several quality daycare facilities as well. I know that there are a few on Rutherford Blvd. near Northfield Commons.

Murfreesboro is a great city, especially for young families. I hope you will love the area as much as I do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville