Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM

18 posts, read 81,088 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in some feedback on the many wonderful montessori schools in Davidson County - in particular, Abintra Montessori in West Meade. I'm moving into town with a pre-schooler and have been very impressed with the school and its campus, but can't seem to find any objective feedback anywhere on the Intranet. We are looking for a secular education, and so ruled out Montessori Academy on that basis. Any input from long-time Nashvillians? The school has been around since the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,559,523 times
Very good school. The only reason we didn't consider it was because it was too far.

I think there is also a public montessori in Davidson but I think admissions is by lottery. I don't know any details about it.

There is a Children's House is a Montessori too that gets good reviews.

Montessori School of Franklin is secular and a true montessori but it might be too far for you to commute.

If you are looking for a montessori with an elementary program Abintra is probably your only choice in Davidson, but an excellent choice.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 AM

124 posts, read 287,066 times
I know it's not a montessori, but you should also consider the Linden Waldorf School. My fiancee has a 5 year old boy (november birthday, so is in pre-k) and she recently enrolled him there after much school shopping. She was originally shopping Montessori's but fell in love with the Linden school. There are actually a lot of similarities in philosophy between Waldorf and Montessori, so it may still be a good fit. Don't let the fact that they are sharing space with a church fool you, it is entirely secular in curriculum, if not in location. They're definitely worth a look, and they handle students all the way to 8th grade, so another benefit is the teacher will stay with the student for that entire time, assuming you want to pay for private school once they're of kindergarten age and older.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:38 AM

18 posts, read 81,088 times
We were considering Waldorf, but have had a good experience so far in Montessori and are not inclined to change. We are currently at a Montessori that resides in a church, which is not disturbing in itself (even though I'm not Christian!), but Abintra's 10-acre wooded campus with walking trails is definitely a persuasive counterpoint to a Waldorf that resides in a church on one of the busiest streets in town at rush hour. The little things in life make a difference. Abintra also goes through 8th grade - aside from the not-so-secular Montessori Academy - I think these may be the only "alternative" schools in town that offer that. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville