Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 25,111 times

Advertisements

Great forum! Already informative. Anybody have knowledge about teaching jobs for high school math? Grew up in New England and just graduated from college. Looking for first job. Am familiar with private schools in the northeast but don't think there's much like that (either boarding or day) in TN. What public school systems, or private schools... assuming they were hiring ... would be good? Money will be an issue. If not teaching at a boarding school, I'll be needing to pay rent, etc. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Sort of thinking about greater Nashville area but am flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,225,647 times
There are any number of private schools in the greater Nashville area (Battle Gound Academy, Montgomery Bell Academy*, Father Ryan, Harpeth Hall, Brentwood Academy, etc). Most of them are day schools.

You could probably find a job teaching math in any of the public school systems; however, the salary might make you think twice about it.

*An interesting bit of trivia, the guy who wrote Dead Poets Society went to Montgomery Bell and part of the story is based on a teacher he had there.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM

32 posts, read 135,171 times
Davidson county schools MNPS Home Page.

there are other threads that list the better schools in the Nashville area.

Also Williamson county directly south of Davidson County. All their schools should be fine. Wealthier people live in that county (for the most part).

Williamson County Schools

I'm originally from Maine, and you should find the teaching salaries are much better down here than in New England. And there are reasonable housing around too.

I will add Ensworth to the list of private schools as well. That school is not religiously affiliated if that matters to you.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,983,838 times
Rutherford County Schools (Murfreesboro, Smyrna, LaVergne) Rutherford County Schools

My wife teaches 8th grade Language Arts in Rutherford County and really enjoys working there. I think the general consensus is that it is a really good district to work for. I'm not sure why, but there aren't any listings posted on their website right now. Usually around April is when most of the vacancies are posted.

Math is an area where there is a shortage so finding a job teaching math should be easier than finding a job teaching history, english, or some of the other subjects. Are you considered a "highly qualified" teacher under NCLB or will you need an alternate licensure?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 31,944 times
You should try to stay in New England and teach. The southern children as you know are slow learners and require a great deal of special tutoring. The pay is lower, weather not as enjoyable, very little culture compared to the New England area. You will miss the honesty of politicians such as the two great senators from Massachusetts, Kerry and Kennedy. Just think about the southern senators, Trent Lott, Jesse Helms, and the list goes on...New England looks good, doesn't it?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:02 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,584,323 times
Default Hey Mike

So, you trying to be sarcastic there? Just curious.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,371,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
So, you trying to be sarcastic there? Just curious.
I hope he is! Southern Children are not slow. I moved here from NJ last year and my daughter met many bright children in HS.
The Metro schools in Nashville are in need of Teachers. Kennedy? Oh you mean the one that killed that girl?
I would never live anywhere else now.

Diane G

Old 07-17-2007, 08:30 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,396,255 times
I think Mike Kraski has his tongue firmly in cheek. It was the "great senators from Massachusetts" comment that gave him away.

Though I feel sure that some of our distinguished local "men of the people" could give them a run for their money.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:34 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,637,812 times
That's funny....the senator line was the only thing I took seriously.....

Old 11-02-2007, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,348 times
Default Teaching in Nashville

Hi. I am interested in teaching in Nashville in the private sector. I currently live and work in the UK. Can anyone give me advice on the best way to get started. Is there a website for teaching vacancies for private schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville