Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 12,454 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking to relocate and my particular place of interest is the Nashville area. I being a northern boy rarely experience southern hospitality and heard nothing but wonderful things about Nashville. However, there no one's opinion better than your own, therefore i want to do a little investigation of the area. I will tell you a little about me, I am a single 30 year-old African-American, Christian male and want to know from you all if this city fits this demographic from a native perspective. My second question, can any of you give me any recommendations in regarding month to month housing. I am looking for an inexpensive means to live in Nashville for couple months to see if I like it with out signing a lease or living in expensive extended stay facility. Thank you, all comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,503,731 times
I think you'll find Nashville to be a great place. While I can't speak from an African-American perspective personally, I have several close friends who are in their late 20s-early 30s and are African-American. They love it here...and a few of them have relocated from other cities (Memphis, Atlanta, Chattanooga). Nashville is home to 2 historically black colleges: Tennessee State University and Fisk University. Consequently, we have a very large young African-American population in the city.

We're a very welcoming city, I think. While we're dealing with economic issues like every city in the nation is, we've been spared some of the terrible housing issues. Likewise, the last unemployment figures I read indicated we're at or below the national average. Not sure what industry you're wanting to work in, but we have a lot of healthcare, entertainment, and financial services firms in the city. Finally, I think we're diverse and don't have nearly as much racial/etnic tension that Memphis and other similar cities deal with. That's not to say there's not racism here...far from it...but I think people generally get along and the vast majority of folks see past color.

As far as month-to-month lodging...I think you're going to have some issues there. Efficiencies are a good option, but you mentioned you're not interested in them. I believe most landlords are going to want at least a 6 month commitment...many will require a year. You might be able to find something creative out there, I'm not saying you can't, but when we rented a year or so ago (for 9 months) we had difficulty finding a place that allowed month-to-month renting without at least a 6 month commitment beforehand.

Hope that helps! Good luck and welcome to Nashvegas!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 12,454 times
Godfather Don Corleone, I thank you for your response. I do understand that there are black university in Nashville, but I guess my concern was there any racial tension in Nashville and I am happy with your response. I have friends that are black,white and brown and I would hate to move to a area where the people are segregated...I like having diverse friends. I also wondered what are the best areas of the city to live (suburbs,etc)? How are the women there (I'm single lol).

Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,503,731 times
Heh...thanks. I'm a big Godfather fan as you can tell.

Obviously some parts of town are more diverse than others. The surrounding counties tend to be more "white", but Davidson County (where Nashville proper is) is pretty diverse all around. Like any big city, there are predominantly African-American neighborhoods. Some are in fairly rough economic areas. But I think it's very fair to say that you could live pretty much anywhere in Davidson County and be in a racially diverse area. That's not to say there aren't diverse areas outside of Davidson, but I'd start in Davidson Co first.

As far as neighborhoods go, you can find a lot if diverse opinion on this matter all over this forum. I'd start looking in neighborhoods with a large amount of under 30 folks...Bellevue, East Nashville, West End/Vanderbilt to start. Bellevue is pretty affordable, but further out from downtown. East Nashville is a trendy place to live right now...a transition community which means there are still some rough patches. West End/Vanderbilt area is a great place, pretty young, but pretty pricey from what I gather.

I can't speak on how the ladies are these days, I've been off the market for awhile. But I think church is a very popular place to find singles. I just don't know...luckily I haven't been on that scene for a few years.

Good luck to you and let us know if you have any more questions...and definitely search the forums. You'll find lots of good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville