Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2007, 09:26 PM

148 posts, read 848,876 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I and are four kids just sadly returned to Phoenix today from a great week long trip to the Nashville area. We have known that we want to move there for a couple of years now, we are just waiting to sell our house here in Phoenix.

When we visited a couple of years ago we stayed in the Cool Springs area and fell in love with Franklin. We also had friends who lived just north of Brentwood so it was perfect. Well, those friends have since moved up to Pleasant View. We spent most of the week with them and a couple of days in Franklin again. After spending two full days driving around subdivision after subdivision in Franklin and Brentwood, we finally decided that we liked some of the older neighborhoods in Brentwood the best (mainly because they fit our budget). My boys absolutely loved Crockett park and the east side of the I-65 just didn't seem as crazy as the Cool Springs area and Franklin. We were pretty disappointed with McKay's mill and Sullivan Farms. The homes were expensive and pretty packed in there. We found a couple of homes in the subdivisions Raintree Forest, Raintree Forest Reserve and Somerset that fit our budget but for the most part these homes were early to late '90's built, that is how they were in our price range. Pretty much convinced that I wanted to live in Brentwood and be close to all the amenities, we then drove up to Pleasant View and stayed with our friends. They live in a neighborhood called Harris Farms Estates. This was kid haven. It was beautiful and peaceful and we can pretty much build our dream home, brand new on 3/4 acre in a part of that subdivision called the Plantations for the same thing we could buy an older fixer upper home in Brentwood.

I am so torn. I was born and raised in Phoenix and am ready to move somewhere less crowded and more family/kid friendly however I don't know if it will be a major shock to move to a small town like Pleasant View where there are no restaurants, no big grocery stores, no costco, no wal-mart or Target. I love the idea of having a brand new home designed the way I want and we would be right around the corner from our friends. We are leaving both of our families so being close to someone we know is important. I loved Brentwood too though and wonder if it will be less of a shock to move there. Anyone have any opinions that are familiar with these two areas? Schools are not an issue right now as I am planning to homeschool for now and if and when we decide to put our children in school it will most likely be private school. My husband is an attorney and could probably find a job in Brentwood/Franklin if we were to move down there or Nashville or Clarksville in we move to Pleasant View.

Thanks for any advice or words of wisdom anyone might be able to offer us.

Angie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,645,614 times
Hi Angie-

I don't know about wisdom....but I can give you my opinion.

We moved here 6 years ago from Northern CA. We almost bought in Hendersonville for the same reasons you describe. We ended up in Franklin, though, and are so glad we did! The drive into Nashville is infinitely easier than from the north (at least from my experience). We put our kids into private school the first 2 years, but looking back, we'd have been fine in public, where they are now. Williamson County's schools are great. (Not spin-your-head-around Vermont-or-other-East-Coast-area-great, but really good, LOL!) We live in a neighborhood that is almost like family, which made the move SO much easier. I can't tell you how many people here say the same about where they live. My suspicion is that so many transplants come here, so we intentionally create these tightly knit communities. In other words, your friends have moved before, and who knows where their lives (or your relationship with them) will lead? Think where you'd like to live if they were removed from the equation.

I know the neighborhoods you described well. Raintree Forest is a fun area. Some parts are better than others, as I'm sure you noticed. Somerset is hit and miss as well. Some are great and updated, others are formica-city and too much siding as opposed to brick. You can't beat the location, though! Totally agree with you about Mckay's Mill and Sullivan Farms. Ick.

We love Crockett Park too. Just had a picnic lunch there last week. We saw a killer house in Chenoweth for sale. Too much $ for us though, and a funky smell. What a fabulous neighborhood, though!

Okay, I have gone from offering my 2 cents to rambling. Hey, it's early!

PM me anytime if you have questions. Good luck with your move!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 AM

389 posts, read 3,541,089 times
We bought 7 acres in Pleasant View last year and are just waiting for our house to sell so we can build our home. My parents were looking all over TN, first eastern, then they were looking at Dale Hollow and Franklin areas.....then they came with us and saw our land and they were sold They are also looking the the Harris Farms/Plantation subdivisions. They originally were going to buy existing but have since decided to just buy a lot and build. I am so excited to have them that close by. I know Pleasant View is small, but there are grocery stores, banks, gas stations and very few restaurants, and the drive to other bigger cities isn't that long...about 30 to Nashville and 20 or so to Springfield (I think that's the one I am thinking of) and they have alot more stuff. It's all personal preference and what you want. We can't wait to be away from it all. The drive, when we need to go to a bigger city, is not bad compared to what we're used to, and having been in Florida for 2 years with all the hectic craziness, we are so looking forward to this small little town and nice people. The necessities are there for us, but we'll just have to drive a little for amenities and that's ok with us.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,286,082 times
Pleasant View sounds like a nice place to live. My husband and I are looking for a nice, low crime town to live in and spend up to $180,000 for a home with a 1/2 acre for our dogs to be fenced in. I'm going to check it out.

Living in the northeast I don't have to deal with tornadoes. Are tornadoes a problem in this area?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 AM

225 posts, read 1,144,967 times
There is such a huge difference between Pleasant View and Brentwood! When I work with families relocating from other areas, I always stress to them to pick the area that best fits their lifestyle FIRST. Sometimes we spend several days looking at communities before we ever start the actual house hunt adventure. I would advise you to really think about the lifestyle you want and let that be your deciding factor! Families are rarely happy after relocating if they settle in an area "because of the house" instead of the neighborhood or community. When you hear the old saying, Location , Location, Location...it means a lot. Where you live should be your first priority over what you live in!

I was raised in Joelton and have family that lives in the Springfield and Pleasant View area. Yes, you will get a LOT more house for your money here compared to Brentwood or Franklin. In fact, it would be no comaprison between a Pleasant View home or a Brentwood home. Apples vs. oranges! Pleasant View is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. If you want the more rural life, dream of horses and land, like your kids to come home after school and play at home, and enjoy your space, then you will love Pleasant View. The drive into Nashville isn't bad from this direction either. But there isn't a lot going on as far as entertainment and recreational activites (like you already mentioned!) If you like to go shopping, dine out regularly, take your kids to Parks regularly, enjoy stopping in a Starbucks for coffee and catching a movie last minute, or just doing a lot of extra activities with your kids, then I'm not so sure Pleasant View is the best place to relocate to. If you kids are always wanting to be involved, or you find yourself always on the go, then you will be much happier buying in Brentwood. There is SO much to do in Brentwood and you will find everything easily accessible. Neither is the right place, or best place to live. It truly depends on what YOU want as a family.

Even though I grew up in an envirornent very similar to what Pleasant View would have, it would not work for my family now. My kids are just too involved and we have become "citified" over the years. They would be bored and I would be driving all the time if we lived in Pleasant View. They love to visit family and spend the day in "the country" but they have no desire to live there.

Just try to focus on lifestyle and community first and then select the house in that area that you can afford. Family first, house second! Hope that helps a little.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:31 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,645,614 times
Gret post, wellkids. I, too, was a rural kid. My kids were too, until we moved to Franklin. Now they're so accustomed to the convenience and activities that I can't imagine what they would think if we returned to our cabin in the forest in CA.

Brentwood is very different from a country town. Both certainly have their good points, and both may be right for you at certain times in your life.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:32 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,242,590 times
I think wellkids offered some good suggestions.

I'm familiar with both areas, but I wouldn't recommend one over the other without knowing you better. I would suggest making a list of all the things that are important to you; then rate the two areas on the items.

Last edited by alleycat; 05-06-2007 at 11:50 AM..

Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 PM

56 posts, read 233,896 times
Springfield is a nice community that has alot of new homes being built and you get alot of bang for your buck so something to check out

Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 PM

317 posts, read 1,232,721 times
It looks like it's all been covered. I also second the statements that you should pick your home based on your lifestyle. I know plenty of people who have moved to other areas that were a little far removed just for the house and definitely regret that decision, but for some, that is what they prefer. That is not to say you will regret either decision. As alleycat mentioned, we do not know enough about you to determine that. However, from the little that we have heard from you, it sounds like you may have an active family that would enjoy the modern conveniences of Brentwood or Franklin in comparison to Pleasant View. However, if the home you are able to build in Pleasant View can almost be self-contained where it really fully embodies your family's lifestyle...you may not need to leave home much.

If knowing someone ends up being your only remaining factor for consideration, I really do not think you'll have any problems getting to know other families as your boys get involved in their interests, your husband as he works, and as you get involved in activities or groups that revolve around things that are important to you. I do know there are plenty of moms who homeschool in Brentwood and Franklin, so there will be opportunities for you to meet them if you decide to do that.

Go with your instincts. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville