Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 13,632 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I took a drive to Shelbyville, TN today and happily discovered that it is the mecca for TN Walking Horses (Celebration, etc). As we drove into town on 64 heading east, I was alarmed by all the horse farms for sale. We are new to the area (Huntsville, AL) and just wondering if it's due to the economy or what? It saddened me, and I wanted to learn more about the area. Any info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,194,575 times
Don't know for an absolute fact why, but, I may have an idea.

I have horses and no one is buying horses now. Since the economic downturn and horses essentially being a luxury pet, absolutely no one is. In fact, the local news (Huntsville, AL--I live in Lincoln Co., TN) had a story not long ago about the sharp increase in abandoned horses.

So, I think that's part of it...not even upscale Tennessee Walkers are selling like they were.

Also, I do know this for a fact...a lot of those farms up there aren't paid for...the economy has not been friendly.

As an aside...is there another Highway 64 in Bedford County? The only one I'm familiar with is the east/west 64 through southern Middle Tennessee and it doesn't go through Shelbyville. Didn't know if the OP was confused about where they were!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,004,104 times
State Highway 64 goes thru Shelbyville....as opposed to US Highway 64....

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,194,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
State Highway 64 goes thru Shelbyville....as opposed to US Highway 64....
Gotcha--thanks.
I thought it might be, but, I'm terrible at highway numbers. I can get out of Shelbyville to anywhere, but, never paid attention to highway numbers.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,831 times
Has Shelbyville relied on "outsiders" money to maintain their town? Can't imagine how you could make big bucks in SHelbyville! What do horse farms typically sell for in SHelbyville?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Don't know for an absolute fact why, but, I may have an idea.

I have horses and no one is buying horses now. Since the economic downturn and horses essentially being a luxury pet, absolutely no one is. In fact, the local news (Huntsville, AL--I live in Lincoln Co., TN) had a story not long ago about the sharp increase in abandoned horses.

So, I think that's part of it...not even upscale Tennessee Walkers are selling like they were.

Also, I do know this for a fact...a lot of those farms up there aren't paid for...the economy has not been friendly.

As an aside...is there another Highway 64 in Bedford County? The only one I'm familiar with is the east/west 64 through southern Middle Tennessee and it doesn't go through Shelbyville. Didn't know if the OP was confused about where they were!
hi there ..I love horses too..What is Lincoln county like and how far away are you from huntsville? what town are you in and is that the closest large city for shopping? If so,I hear Huntsville is pretty upscale - true? you must save on sales tax shopping there ...any real estate bargains out by you? I am looking to buy some land from a local - how do I go about finding out who's who? I live in lascassas..thanks!

Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 13,632 times
Thanks for the responses. I guess I might be wrong on the road, but I remember it was called something like "TN Walking Horse Memorial Hwy". I was really excited about seeing some of the horses along our drive, and exploring Shelbyville (did some antique shopping). So sorry to hear about the economy, and even more sorry to hear about someone evil enough to abandon a horse...I can't imagine raising and caring for an beautiful animal and then leaving it to die a slow horrific death.

Huntsville is a little over an hour from Shelbyville, and we have enjoyed the year that we have lived here. I'm originally from Northern IN (big college town), and find HSV similar with friendly people and a melting pot of transplanted people. And when you feel like having a really big town experience, Nashville is about 2 hours away.

I'll keep Shelbyville in my prayers, along with the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville