Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 AM

123 posts, read 355,064 times

Advertisements

I have also been to the Franklin area but can see that becoming like charleston or something. Big fancy condos, and old historical houses combined. In other words I would go
broke living there.

I am pretty set on Murfreesboro area but was thinking on my next vacation to check out the north and nw section as in hendersonville/clarksville. I was thinking that years ago both of these cities were in the retirement rated books, in the top somewhere.

I have no desire to see or look in Nashville, not sure why.....just don't.

Has anyone been to all three places and can compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,398 times
Murfreesboro and Clarksville are more like "real cities." They're not as suburban as Hendersonville. Most people who live in these cities work in these cities and the cities have good size business and industrial areas. They are also both college towns.

Hendersonville is a very large bedroom community of Nashville. Most people commute to Nashville for work. It's made up of mostly middle to upper middle class families. Not a lot of singles or young people. Hendersonville has a lot less crime than the other two cities as well.

Hendersonville is also located on several peninsulas of Old Hickory Lake so it offers a lot of recreational opportunities that Clarksville and Murfreesboro don't.

I'm not sure about retirement lists but Hendersonville was ranked as one of the top 10 cities for families by Family Circle magazine. There are several retirement communites near the lake in the area between Hendersonville and Gallatin.

Of these three cities, Hendersonville is by far the closest to Nashville so you would have easy access to nightlife or weekend activities in the city.

Clarksville is about a 45 minute to 1 hour drive from Nashville. Murfreesboro is about 40 min.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
I'm a devotee of the Hendersonville area and live there. I've also spent a good amount of time in Murfreesboro (attended MTSU). As far as choosing which to retire in, it really just depends on what you're looking for. I like the 'Boro just fine...it is overall a very good community. But areas of the 'Boro are dominated by MTSU, which can be good or bad depending on your outlook. Parts of the city are very quaint, others are very modern, plenty of good shopping and restaurants especially at the Medical Center area of town. I get the sense that Murfreesboro struggles with some issues like growth, crime (due to growth and probably localized in a few areas), and traffic/congestion due to ... well ... growth.

Hendersonville is a really great place to live. In addition to all the amenities like shopping, restaurants, parks, lake, etc, it is more convenient to Nashville and the Metro area than Murfreesboro is. I think Hendersonville is perceived as being a more desirable place to live...nearly on par with Franklin or Brentwood...while not nearly as pricey.

I really love Hendersonville and I'd choose it every time over Murfreesboro, but I think Murfreesboro is a fine city. I'd have no qualms retiring there either.

EDIT: vivelafrance pretty well summed it up.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 46,064 times
Hendersonville is the nicest or the three. Clarksville is more army type of people because of Fort Campbell and Murfreesboro is a lot more college based with MTSU. Their is nothing against anytype of person it is just what type of things do you like. Like Hendersonville you feel a lot safer because it is a lot nicer area. Murfreesboro I would put at the bottom because you have college students and Antioch isn't great and La Vergne is on the downward because of Antioch. Because of that Murfreesboro is one of the cheapest or cheaper areas to rent or buy a house compared to other areas around Nashville. If you like the party scene then Murfreesboro is your place with MTSU (biggest college in TN). Murfreesboro is the busiest and I-24 is always backed up during traffic, worse then any other interstate. But with the business their are more stores and places.

I would rate them:
Hendersonville #1 by far
Clarksville #2
Murfreesboro #3

But then it really depends on what you like.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
As a native Clarksvillian, I'm going to politely disagree with tntitans21399 on one point. SOME of the folks living in Clarksville/Montgomery County are connected with the army, primarily whose who live in the northern and northwestern section of the county. For many other people, they barely know the base is there in their daily lives and they have no connection with the army.

Remember, Ft. Campbell wasn't even there until WWII (first as Camp Campbell). By that time Clarksville was already a fairly large town (or small city, whichever way you want to look at it).

Clarksville is proud to be the home of the 101st Airborne, but it's not true that everything in Clarksville revolves around the army base.

Last edited by alleycat; 08-07-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntitans21399 View Post
Hendersonville is the nicest or the three. Clarksville is more army type of people because of Fort Campbell and Murfreesboro is a lot more college based with MTSU. Their is nothing against anytype of person it is just what type of things do you like. Like Hendersonville you feel a lot safer because it is a lot nicer area. Murfreesboro I would put at the bottom because you have college students and Antioch isn't great and La Vergne is on the downward because of Antioch. Because of that Murfreesboro is one of the cheapest or cheaper areas to rent or buy a house compared to other areas around Nashville. If you like the party scene then Murfreesboro is your place with MTSU (biggest college in TN). Murfreesboro is the busiest and I-24 is always backed up during traffic, worse then any other interstate. But with the business their are more stores and places.

I would rate them:
Hendersonville #1 by far
Clarksville #2
Murfreesboro #3

But then it really depends on what you like.

You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to Clarksville and Murfreesboro. Clarksville surely isn't just about Ft. Campbell and Murfreesboro is not just about MTSU. Stating such is EXTREMELY MISLEADING to the OP and anyone else looking for an answer. I-24 is not ALWAYS tied up with traffic. Sure, if there is an accident it will be, but so will any other road any place else. The party scene in Murfreesboro? Get real. I wouldn't say that Murfreesboro is exactly known for it's party atmosphere. College students don't run amuck throughout the town. All I can say in conclusion, is that you have very little knowledge of either Clarksville or Murfreesboro, but are writing as if you do.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:45 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,246 times
I have to say I was wondering the same thing when I read tntitans post. I know I have only lived in the boro two years this month, and I have not noticed this party scene. I have gone to a lot of restaurants here and have never seen a hangout for college kids. Now there might be one somewhere, but I wouldn't know where it was. I go shopping a lot and work here as well and never noticed a high concentration of college kids partying. I imagine you would find parties in the college apts near and around the college. Makes sense. I would expect that. Other than that, I would never know the college was here. It does not enter my daily life at all.

Traffic can be busy, but I have never experieced any gridlock unless there is an accident.

My neighborhood and all the ones I have been in here (a lot while house hunting) have been full of families with young children. My neighborhood, in particular, has a good mix of ages, because of the golf course. Everyone, I have ever met here has been pleasant and friendly. There is plenty to do as far as shopping and restaurants. Great parks and recreation department as well. I love the town square and the historic section of the boro. It has such a nice vibe to it. They have jazz fest at the square, which I loved. The friday night concerts are also fun. Cannonsburgh Village is pretty cool as well.

Murfreesboro has a nice mix of historic and quaint to the brand new and upscale communities.
From my experience there is really something here for everyone. From the very affordable to the very expensive. It's all about what you are looking for. I enjoy living here very much.

Hendersonville was the first place I had ever been to when I came to TN. I liked it a lot as far as homes went, It was also very afforadable, but I just didn't see a lot there in the way of shopping and restaurants. I haven't been there since and I'm sure it has grown. I know there is a new shopping area there.

I would definetly visit each place and spend sometime in them before I made a decision where to move. It's all about how YOU see these places and where YOU feel at home.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:16 AM

123 posts, read 355,064 times
I took a drive from eastern tn to clarksville, and hendersonville! Very nice places! I loved the river walk in Clarksville, it was gorgeous. The traffic was bumper to bumper not sure if there was something going on or what. This city was very nice.

Hendersonville was just like someone had mentioned a bedroom community and the area and housing were very nice. Just looking for more self containment.

In looking for a sense of community and a very well self contained city, I am still leaning towards Murfreesboro. I think I will be visiting there for my second time soon to get a better looksey.

Thank you so much for all the input!

Last edited by slowes; 08-09-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
I took a drive from eastern tn to clarksville, and hendersonville! Very nice places! I loved the river walk in Clarksville, it was gorgeous. The traffic was bumper to bumper not sure if there was something going on or what. This city was very nice.

Hendersonville was just like someone had mentioned a bedroom community and the area and housing were very nice. Just looking for more self containment.

In looking for a sense of community and a very well self contained city, I am still leaning towards Murfreesboro. I think I will be visiting there for my second time soon to get a better looksey.

Thank you so much for all the input!
That's exactly what did it for me slowes. I work here, live here, shop here, eat out here and play here. I never really need to go anywhere else for anything to fill my needs. It's a very self contained area. That was the one thing I could not find in visiting some of the surrounding communites. I wanted "everything" close by. I think that is what makes the boro so popular and why it is growing so quickly. Coming from another state, it was what I needed to remain in my comfort zone, at least for now. Who knows what I might be looking for in 10 years.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
That's exactly what did it for me slowes. I work here, live here, shop here, eat out here and play here. I never really need to go anywhere else for anything to fill my needs. It's a very self contained area. That was the one thing I could not find in visiting some of the surrounding communites. I wanted "everything" close by. I think that is what makes the boro so popular and why it is growing so quickly. Coming from another state, it was what I needed to remain in my comfort zone, at least for now. Who knows what I might be looking for in 10 years.
and I'll be in Murfreesboro FOREVER! You couldn't drag me out of this town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville