Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:24 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,222,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Oops, I see now it's 6PM.

As for J. Alexander's...PF Chang's is closer........
I used to eat at the J. Alexander's out on White Bridge Road and loved it. They've changed in the past few years however; I can take it or leave it now. I've never eaten at the one on West End. I ate there a lot when it was The Cooker (liked the food, hated the service).

Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 AM

23 posts, read 92,254 times
pro gay marriage, pro-choice, anti-death pennalty, etc.,

You will be in for a culture shock, but nothing major.

I grew up in the south and am pro gay-union (I'm not sure "marriage" is the right term to use because I believe that church and state should keep this separate - you can have a legal union recognized by the state that isn't necessarily recognized by the overly-conservative church, which is going to use always use the term "marriage." I think the government needs to not use the term "marriage" because the church will stick their noses into it and they need to stay out of it. They can have their idea, and the rest of the world can have their idea. If that all makes sense - not trying to start a political debate.). I'm also pro-choice, but am for the death penalty. Agnostic as well.

Aside from a few people that go overboard with religion, it's really not that big of a deal. People aren't going to judge you on that at all. It's like everywhere, you have your folks that go to church every time the doors are open and will witness to other people, and you have your folks that only show up on Christmas and Easter (or never).

I will say that some areas of the city are more liberal than others. There are older sections of town with old money that are quite conservative and not very "open" to outsiders (particularly folks from up nawth). There are other sections of town that are mostly younger people with more liberal ideas and views and a mix of people who have come from all around the US. I'm sure you'll be able to find a place where you are comfortable.

Last edited by lovinTN; 05-03-2007 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 AM

34 posts, read 142,854 times
Thanks, I appreciate this.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:28 AM

13 posts, read 39,975 times
I just moved here last month from St. Paul and I love it. The only amount of culture shock I've had is the amount of traffic and speed limits.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,721 times
Honestly, the culture shock shouldn't be extreme in the least moving from a city like Minneapolis to Nashville. I lived in Nashville for most of my life and moved to the Detroit metro, a more comparable Midwest metro, for law school. So I'm sort of the reverse of the original poster. I will say that, after four years in the Detroit area, I'm dying to get back to Nashville. The type of growth, development, and visual signs of progress going on in a New South city like Nashville just isn't happening much in the Midwest outside of metros like Minny and Chicago.

If we are to take regional stereotypes as complete truth, then I should be the last person to love a Mid-South metro like Nashville because I happen to be a gay, agnostic Black male. But that's not the case. I can count on one hand the number of times I EVER had a negative experience because of my race, sexual orientation or religion in Nashville and I lived there the overwhelming majority of my life.

Culture shock problems might occur if one moves to Nashville fully expecting them and practically seeking them. The typical Nashvillian could probably care less whether you go to church on Sunday, who you sleep with, or the color of your skin so long as you are a good neighbor, co-worker, friend, etc. Like any of the Midwest metros, the suburbs tend to be more conservative and family-oriented, while the city itself tends to be more eclectic, diverse, and socially & politically liberal.

Social expectations may be slightly different but the people are essentially the same. You may want to offer a polite smile to a Nashvillian you encounter and occasionally indulge them with a random conversation but, seriously, no one is going to make your life miserable because you don't fit into some stereotypical cookie-cutter Christian conservative image. However, they just might not like you if you constantly make it your point to tell them how awful they are for fitting that mold. Do you see what I mean?

Give it some time and I think you'll be surprised at how well you adjust to Nashville and how these regional stereotypes are exaggerated. Keep in mind that Nashville is a metro of around 1.5 million and growing well. While it's not quite Minneapolis, it's by no mean a small town. With a little adjustment, you'll likely find your niche and most of the amenities you've become accustomed to in Minny (and for cheaper!).

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,222,306 times
airesjow, we'll leave a light on for you.

:-)

Last edited by alleycat; 05-05-2007 at 06:56 PM..

Old 05-12-2007, 05:19 PM

24 posts, read 124,602 times
I have what I call my own personal relationship with MY god where I do not feel the need to go every Sunday and congregate with a bunch of people I do not feel like dealing with in the first place simply to praise him.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:45 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,636,361 times
Okay, and thank you Detroit! Feel better?

Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 PM

501 posts, read 1,065,110 times
As far as culture shocks go:

Nashvillians driving in the snow > Religion

That is all.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:47 PM

37 posts, read 173,825 times
What is the problem with this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville