Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,635,590 times

Advertisements

What do you mean? He's just saying that he thinks the area's (lack of) driving skills in the snow is a greater problem than the culture shock of religion here. That's what I got, anyway

Old 05-26-2007, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times
Default Why do you presume that everyone would want these things?

It's not a nice place for the gay, liberal and atheistic- the looks and threats I have received/receive are unbelievable and when TN passed the "protection" of marriage amendment by 80% it nearly made me physically sick.

So, move already. You know, Southern people are very clear and open about how they want their communities to be. 80% of the people sent a pretty clear message, don't you think?

Why do you come in and try to inject your version of "normal"? The people here have what they like. Who said your way is right? You'd do well to open up to some new experiences, outside of your usual liberal, gay, atheistic circle of friends. I thought you supposed to be were ones who're open-minded and tolerant of diversese cultures, traditions and religions. I guess that doesn't include traditional American values. We've seen what all your type of society has done to NY and CA.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:01 PM

24 posts, read 124,596 times
While it is not my type of lifestyle, I look at it like this. Don't tell me about the sanctity of marriage, especially when you look at the divorce rate in this country. As far as I am concerned, those people pay taxes just like me. If they want to get married, MORE POWER TO THEM. I feel that our elected officials should have more important things to bother themselves with rather than wasting my tax dollars debating this stupid issue. Same thing with abortion. Abortion should be a private issue, not a political one. I do not like RAP music, therefore, I do not listen to it. You do not like abortions? DON'T HAVE ONE!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 AM

I will never understand why anyone opposes gay marriage OR abortion. These are personal choices that, in my opinion, are exploited politically to mobilize conservative voters. Am I affected by who does/does not marry? No. Am I affected by who does/does not bring a baby to term? No.

Would I like it all who married stayed happily so til parted by death? Sure. Would I like it if all pregnancies were planned? Sure, but that's not reality.
And it's not my choice to make. Until one is prepared to adopt all the unwanted babies whose mothers were denied abortions, one should vote pro-choice. I've spent time in NICUs with crack babies. God bless the people who care for them. These kids are born into physical misery. Consoling them is often impossible. Unfortunately, their damage is permanent. Why force this life of struggle upon them? If a woman wants to terminate, I say let her.

I would never say this out loud to many people I knpow here, though. That's part of the "culture shock" of moving here. Opposing views on many subjects are shut down or cruelly criticized in the name of Jesus. This happens in school, at work, yesterday a woman made a shocking remark on a field trip! I couldn't even respond. She assumed I agreed because she knew I am a Christian.

That said, I appreciate those on this forum who engage in respectful debate. I've learned a lot here.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:12 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,220,402 times
Just a suggestion. If everyone keeps dropping in to express their political views, it's going to quickly turn into a debate (and might get moved, and will probably get heated). There is a political forum here for anyone who wants to use it.

Now if someone want to point out the cultural differences they've found in Tennessee, then, in my opinion, that's fine.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:17 AM

You know what, alleycat? You're right. I should've let that one go.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,715 times
Now if someone want to point out the cultural differences they've found in Tennessee, then, in my opinion, that's fine.

To me, the differences between TN and other 'liberal' states isn't all that different. A simple example would be if I were to take a bus from Oakland to San Francisco, stand up and say: " I love Jesus, praise the lord!", people would think I was a total nut. That's probably an extreme example, but my point is that you can't go around in public around here and tell everyone that you love the lord, or what not.

At the same time, I don't think it would be all that different if I were to go to say a small town in TN, step inside a restaurant and say that " Me and my partner would like a table" Again- totally out off context.

I'll even go as far as to say that in reality, this topic is more about the universal differences between cities and the country. California is surprisingly very rural. Even more so than a good bit of TN once you get outside the cities. I went to this tiny little town over the weekend and there was a parade and rodeo. Before each event we bowed our heads and prayed. The pledge of allegiance was said, and so on. The general discussions amongst people were about typical things, like trucks, tractors, and stuff like that. Anyone from rural TN would feel right at home. But at the same time, My Aunt who lives in Memphis has a number off gay friends, has a number of activist friends, and takes us to art galleries and the whole shebang. A person from San Fran might feel right at home there.

People who identify with a metropolitan lifestyle are more than likely going to have a metro sense of being. That's a really broad statement. A person who likes the rural life is going to have their idea of what is right and wrong.

These days those identities are harder and harder to distinguish because the city and country are now fused together with sprawl and suburbs. Anyone ever listen to old country songs from the 30's and 40's? Even then there was mention off running away to the big city only to return to their family's open arms after they had "learned a lesson". The city has been a classically demonized place in country culture for decades. The same can be said about "city folk", who have had the tendency to place themselves higher up on a pedestal above the supposed peasant hillbillies they likely escaped from.

I've tried to keep a observant attitude about it. I grew up rural and have lived in a few cities. I like aspects of both. It is often too easy to get caught up into camps and want to be the good guys. But we're all sort of in this together so we might as well start admitting the differences between us and just live with them. Personally, I don't care what anyone does or how they live. That's your business. Its hard enough to live my life without concerning myself over yours.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 PM

20 posts, read 93,124 times
I know that this is off topic as this seems to be mostly a discussion about religion and politics, etc.

But I feel it is my duty to warn anybody thinking about moving to Nashville that the drivers here are BY FAR the worst in the country - in my opinion and experience. I have lived in Seattle, LA, San Diego, New Jersey (outside NYC) and as a traveling musician I have been to just about every state.

There are accidents every day when I drive to and from work. It's not just aggressive driving or speeding (although there is plenty of that) - but just plain insane driving moves like turning left from the right hand lane, etc.

BTW - My neighbor has a bumper sticker on his oversized tonka trunk that reads "if I'd known this would happen I would have picked my own cotton" and another that reads "Never apologize for being white." I'm not out in the country - 15 minutes from downtown. Take it for what it's worth.

Other than that it's a pretty nice place to live.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:21 AM

*^%$#!!! Thankfully, I've never seen stickers like those. Guess you and your neighbor don't hang out much, huh? LOL!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:15 PM

20 posts, read 93,124 times
Yeah, I don't think he likes me too much. Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville