Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 92,954 times

Advertisements

Next year around this time I am planning to relocate to Nashville for a little bit. I am sort of burned out on living in the middle of a huge city and I have had a good time down there when I visit. I would prefer to live close to downtown Nashville but would consider areas farther out if that isn't practical. Over the next year I am going to fly down and look at different neighborhoods and houses. I am not opposed to renting but I would really to buy a house that needs some fixing and will increase in value. What neighborhoods / towns would be good places to look??

A little background - I am a white male in my mid-twenties, work in information technology out of my home, living with my boyfriend (I'm gay) for the last year. I currently live in the wicker park area of Chicago, which is you standard hipster/urban/artsy area run amok with gentrification (think williamsburg in NYC or mission in SF). I have lived in the area for the last 7 or so years and watched it transition (I actually preferred it before it got wealthy) and don't have problems living in ethnic or run down areas as long as they are not extremely dangerous. I have been involved with punk/rock music so it would be nice to have access to a record store or some sort of punk/metal music venue. I also love art and wouldn't mind being in an area with artists and/or art galleries.

I enjoy older homes and restoring them back to their original condition. I also like old industrial spaces that can be built into. Need to be able to get to downtown fairly quickly a couple times a week.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
You should have no problem finding a place like this in Hillsboro Village or Sylvan Park.

If you decide not to renovate, there are several cool new loft developments selling downtown.

Good luck with your move!

Now it's your turn- can you suggest a great restaurant in Chicago that would has amazing food, but not too stuffy, and is non-smoking? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 PM

thanks, i was definitely looking at sylvan park, really nice area.

as for restaurants in chicago, it depends on what kind of food you want. some of my favorites that are off the beaten path -
Gio's Deli @ 2724 S Lowe Ave in Bridgeport - amazing Italian in the middle of the neighborhood, nice market for cookies and pastry, super cheap.
Sultan's Market @ North Ave + Hoyne in Wicker Park - middle eastern, again sore like a deli, super cheap, vegetarian friendly, my favorite falafel and hummus in the city

and more sit-downish laid back places -
wishbone on Washington + Peoria in the West Loop - a Chicago take on southern food, next to oprah's studio, outdoor seating in the summer
La Oaxaqeña @ 3382 N. Milwaukee in Logan Square - my favorite mexican food, regional from Oaxaca, super helpful staff if you need help ordering, huge portions, family run.

Places that server food in Chicago are non-smoking. There are also some bars that are non-smoking and after 2008 (I think) the city-wide smoking ban goes into effect.

If you need more suggestions PM me.

Thanks again!!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:23 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Thank you!! I really appreciate the restaurant info.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Back to the original question . . . Midtown (including the Belmont area strangely enough), or possibly Edgefield.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:43 AM

Both of those areas sounds great, I will look into them when I visit in a couple of months.

I was looking at real estate prices, how are the areas directly South/Southeast of downtown (between I-40 and I-65, north of Wedgewood / Polk, around Trevecca Nazarene University)? The housing is really reasonablly priced which, in Chicago, usually means the crime is a little high but tolerable. It is very close to downtown but I can't find any information on the area, what it is called, etc. Location-wise it is ideal but I have not been over there yet. Any ideas? The Midtown and East side are great places for me to start looking but the housing prices in that area have me wondering. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulflej View Post
Both of those areas sounds great, I will look into them when I visit in a couple of months.

I was looking at real estate prices, how are the areas directly South/Southeast of downtown (between I-40 and I-65, north of Wedgewood / Polk, around Trevecca Nazarene University)? The housing is really reasonablly priced which, in Chicago, usually means the crime is a little high but tolerable. It is very close to downtown but I can't find any information on the area, what it is called, etc. Location-wise it is ideal but I have not been over there yet. Any ideas? The Midtown and East side are great places for me to start looking but the housing prices in that area have me wondering. Thanks!
I just call it Edgehill. There are some interesting residential areas there, and also some industrial areas. There has been a move to renovate and improve the area in the past twenty years or so (due to its convenience to downtown . . . can you say "yuppies"? ;-). I can't help too much; mostly I go over to that area when I want to go antique browsing (Wedgewood is the antique district of Nashville), or go to a Nashville Sounds baseball game.

I'm not sure about crime but I don't think it's a high-crime area. It might even be a low-crime area, but I'd have to look up the data.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
How about East Nashville? I'm referring to the area just across the river from downtown, around Shelby Park. I haven't been there in a while, but that seems to be quite a Bohemian part of town. I've had a couple of gay friends who lived in that area and said it was very gay-friendly.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
How about East Nashville? I'm referring to the area just across the river from downtown, around Shelby Park. I haven't been there in a while, but that seems to be quite a Bohemian part of town. I've had a couple of gay friends who lived in that area and said it was very gay-friendly.
Apparently it's improved quite a bit as well (parts of it anyway). There was a post about Five Points a few weeks ago and there was a reply from someone who lives in the area. I don't get over that way much anymore.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:00 AM

I could see the yuppies swarming into that areas like crazy, I just wondered why the houses were $80-$150k so close to downtown when most of the stuff in Sylvan Heights and Belmont was well into the 200s. I did notice some public housing projects right next to the expressway so I thought that might have something to do with it. I will also need to take the I-65 to Brentwood occasionally and it goes right through the neighborhood.

Five Points is definitely another area I was looking into, I read the recent post. A gay-friendly area is great, I just do not want to live in the gay ghetto. I don't go to gay bars or anything that is oriented to a single type of person (corner dive bars are more my speed) , I just don't want to be surrounded by fanatical fundamentalist Christians and hate-mongers. Bohemian-ish neighborhoods have always been the most comfortable place, I would identify with the hipster/art community before I would identify with the gay community.

Is the industrial space in the area utilized or abandon? Getting a huge space would be great as I like to work on large scale art and haven't had the opportunity since prices are so high here in Chicago. It would also be nice to coax a friend or two to come down and stay for a little bit and work on their art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: