Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 PM

16 posts, read 32,959 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I am thinking of possibly moving to Nashville, I have been doing massive research on RTP and charlotte, now nashville, reason being, is my daughter lives in nashville and I would love to be closer to her. I have a degree in Psychology but work as a clinical research coordinator and manger and have for years. Does anyone know anything aboutthis field there? I have done some normal searches, but craigslist is pretty much worthless with all the scams, my husband does commerical construction but can also do his own thing if needed, anyone out there have any suggestions please? I really want to move in the next 5 weeks or so, need some advice

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 04:53 AM

137 posts, read 630,388 times
Do you have a place to live in Nashville already ?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsgirl View Post
Hi Everyone, I am thinking of possibly moving to Nashville, I have been doing massive research on RTP and charlotte, now nashville, reason being, is my daughter lives in nashville and I would love to be closer to her. I have a degree in Psychology but work as a clinical research coordinator and manger and have for years. Does anyone know anything aboutthis field there? I have done some normal searches, but craigslist is pretty much worthless with all the scams, my husband does commerical construction but can also do his own thing if needed, anyone out there have any suggestions please? I really want to move in the next 5 weeks or so, need some advice

thanks
I would imagine with your research on Nashville that you've found out that the job market is tightening up in this area. Unless you've got a nest egg to live on for a while I would suggest that either you or your husband have a job lined up here before you move. Regarding your background, you might have better luck by networking within your field rather than Internet searches on Craigslist type sites. There are many universities/colleges here that you might want to check out(e.g. Vanderbilt). Is your clinical research experience limited to psychology or is it broader than that? Is your psychology degree a B.A./B.S., Masters, or Ph.D., as that will help define the parameters of your search?
Although the Nashville area has not been hit as hard as other areas regarding construction downturn, there has been a downturn in both the commercial and residential areas. Without knowing what your husband's particular skill or experience is it's difficult to offer any suggestions other than he should probably check out construction opportunities before you move here.
You might just want to come to Nashville to visit your daughter while you check out the local job market before you actually move. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 AM

145 posts, read 515,517 times
The Nashville job market is deplorable right now. The worst I've ever seen a job market in my entire career. I have been actively job hunting, round the clock practically, for over 2 months. Have had 4 interviews, which is above average, but still no job. I keep coming in second place (so they say), but that's no consolation whatsoever for someone that needs to be working.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,614 times
Default Nashville

Nashville is flowing with medical facilities.
One of the best websites for jobs is indeed.com.
It will bring up posts from all other jobsites.

[mod] cut [/mod]

Last edited by mbmouse; 06-08-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM

144 posts, read 465,768 times
The job market here is worsening. Nashville held on for a long time, but as usual we're behind the rest of the country. A lot of my tenants have had job problems recently and trouble paying their rent. Jobs that tenants had for years disappeared. However, I still think we're doing okay for skilled and educated workers.

You can search for a Vanderbilt job here:

Career Opportunities at Vanderbilt (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/hrs/jobs/jobs.htm - broken link)

Commercial construction is doing okay. There was a slowdown for a while. My husband's from a General Contracting company and they just got two road construction jobs from the stimulus money that came down the pipe. They also just finished a hotel which got extended because now they're building another parking garage or something there. However, they're struggling to keep all the guys they've already got working so they can't take on anyone new.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM

56 posts, read 144,306 times
Volunteer State Community College | Office of Career Placement, Cooperative Education & Service Learning

Maybe this can be of help to someone.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 AM

48 posts, read 160,556 times
The chamber has a jobs link Jobs Nashville Employment which are all legitimate companies looking for help.
Best of luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Bell View Post
The job market here is worsening. Nashville held on for a long time, but as usual we're behind the rest of the country. A lot of my tenants have had job problems recently and trouble paying their rent. Jobs that tenants had for years disappeared. However, I still think we're doing okay for skilled and educated workers.

You can search for a Vanderbilt job here:

Career Opportunities at Vanderbilt (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/hrs/jobs/jobs.htm - broken link)

Commercial construction is doing okay. There was a slowdown for a while. My husband's from a General Contracting company and they just got two road construction jobs from the stimulus money that came down the pipe. They also just finished a hotel which got extended because now they're building another parking garage or something there. However, they're struggling to keep all the guys they've already got working so they can't take on anyone new.

Good luck!
the extent of the economic slowdown in the nashville community is being seen now because this area is always about 4-6 months behind major economic centers in the northeast, north, and pacific. much of tn's economic pulse comes from these areas. it is simply a domino effect. as this area is behind, it will also be the last to feel a significant recovery, when it happens. many may wonder if that will happen, and it most assuredly will.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

144 posts, read 465,768 times
I agree, Kingchef. Not only will the economy recover, but I think much sooner than people expect.

The housing market is pretty much at a bottom since the government is artificially holding it up by stemming off foreclosures and giving buyers big tax credits that don't have to be repaid. They are interfering and creating a false bottom in housing.

I think they will do the same for the economy. Not that I think everything they do will be successful, but they will keep trying and pouring money onto the problem until we dig our way out by digging a much bigger hole... but that will be for our children to fix. Sad, but true.

And this is in no means political commentary. I don't think anyone could easily fix these problems. We are all probably guilty in some way of contributing, even if we did without knowing any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville