Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:59 AM

84 posts, read 314,983 times

Advertisements

A question for those of you that live in/near Franklin....

We have been searching for a place that has good schools, a historic vibrant downtown area, walkability, an older established neighbor hood with homes of varying styles and character, and a warmer climate (we live in the frozen tundra so almost anything is warmer).

Franklin has popped up on our radar. What we are not fond of is urban sprawl. I realise sprawl is happening everywhere these days...but as long as that sprawl is confined away from the "older" section of town we may find the right fit.

What can you tell me about downtown Franklin and it's immediate surrounding area?? Are their neighborhoods with sidewalks and kids on bikes?? Or does the downtown lead right into sprawl?

Also - my hubby is a big cyclist and this area looks like it may be a prime area for that - am I correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 09:10 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,684,961 times
Franklin's the Sybil of towns. It's family farms, retail areas, antebellum homes, tract homes, etc. Your second paragraph describes the area around the square perfectly.

Hope it all goes well!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,355,743 times
We live in Franklin and LOVE it's walkability!

akm is correct, you can be in the congested coolsprings area and in 10 minutes you're in the rural country. Franklin is the best of about 5 worlds in our opinion. We don't have school aged children so I don't know anything about the school situation.

Old 03-28-2009, 04:25 PM

933 posts, read 2,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post
A question for those of you that live in/near Franklin....

We have been searching for a place that has good schools, a historic vibrant downtown area, walkability, an older established neighbor hood with homes of varying styles and character, and a warmer climate (we live in the frozen tundra so almost anything is warmer).

Franklin has popped up on our radar. What we are not fond of is urban sprawl. I realise sprawl is happening everywhere these days...but as long as that sprawl is confined away from the "older" section of town we may find the right fit.

What can you tell me about downtown Franklin and it's immediate surrounding area?? Are their neighborhoods with sidewalks and kids on bikes?? Or does the downtown lead right into sprawl?

Also - my hubby is a big cyclist and this area looks like it may be a prime area for that - am I correct?
Yes the downtown area of Franklin near the square is walkable. Everywhere else surrounding the area around the older area is more likely to be a suburban, preplanned, car centric area. The Cool Springs area is incredibly sprawlish and not hardly walk able or really bikeable. Now there might be some nice bike routes outside of the Cool Springs area (sure there is). It is a nice safe area with great schools, but not really walkable except the area you mentioned.

Last edited by yank283; 03-28-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,134 times
I agree with the other post on here! We live in Franklin, about 2 miles west of downtown. If you stay around the downtown area you won't be disappointed. Also, my husband is a big cyclist and he rides about 50 miles every weekend. There are so many scenic routes and he loves it.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,355,743 times
We live near exit 67 and there are sidewalks all over the place, we often walk across the overpass at McEwen and all over the place down towards Carothers..or cross at Liberty Pike and walk to McKay's Mill. There is only one tiny section without sidewalk. It's one of the things we enjoy most about Franklin having just moved from a VERY non-walkable city. I walk to almost all of my "lightweight" errands, Kohl's, Office Depot, Walgreens...and if I must....walmart.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM

84 posts, read 314,983 times
Thanks for the replies so far. We just had another 6 inches of snow and I am more than ready to move south - now if we could just sell our house!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM

63 posts, read 282,242 times
Another vote for downtown Franklin. What a great place.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,924,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
We live near exit 67 and there are sidewalks all over the place, we often walk across the overpass at McEwen and all over the place down towards Carothers..or cross at Liberty Pike and walk to McKay's Mill. There is only one tiny section without sidewalk. It's one of the things we enjoy most about Franklin having just moved from a VERY non-walkable city. I walk to almost all of my "lightweight" errands, Kohl's, Office Depot, Walgreens...and if I must....walmart.
what area do you live in that you can walk to these places? thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,588,706 times
I live 3 miles of west of downtown franklin. There is sprawl in Cool Springs. Downtown Franklin is cute and fun to walk around. My 'hood has sidewalks and bike trails for the kids along with other amentities. Cycling on the west side of Franklin is very popular especially out towards Leipers Fork and the Natchez Trace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: