Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 PM

149 posts, read 478,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
Hello,

I would like opinions on Nashville vs. Charlotte. Which city would you relocate
to if you had the choice? I am from the Bay Area and looking for the
best one..
what part of the bay are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:34 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
If you're going to rehash an 18-month-old thread to tout the amenities of Charlotte, you should also mention how you guys have gotten HAMMERED by the financial crisis worse than any city except New York.
Actually that comment about Charlotte is somewhat inaccurate. Yes Wacchovia was bought out, but we still don't know how it will play out. Perhaps as many jobs aren't going to be lost as originally thought. Things have actually been fairly strong, economically speaking, in our area.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM

11 posts, read 32,926 times
Hi there, I am a young professional who has lived in both Nashville and Charlotte. I prefer Charlotte over Nashville for the following reasons. Charlotte is closer to the beach (as well as the mountains); it is located in what I consider to be a more educated, open-minded state, and is more cosmopolitan. They also have a better concert lineup than Nashville (which is completely ironic!) That said, in Nashville we are currently getting a lot of things Charlotte had when I lived there (Whole Foods came, Nordstroms is coming, etc.) Although Nashville did go blue for Obama (yay,) it is definitely surrounded by rural conservative areas and is in a red state; Charlotte is a blue town in a blue state (although it is definitely not the most liberal city in NC and is also surrounded by some conservative places.) What are you looking for in a town? I too was drawn to Nashville for the music vibe (I moved here from Charlotte after growing up in East TN.) However, I have to say that I mostly hate going downtown and aside from Music Row, I don't really feel that Nashville offers that much more in the way of music for the average person over Charlotte. We do have Vanderbilt; Charlotte has UNC Charlotte. Best of luck in your relocation.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 AM

51 posts, read 301,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldeirishrose View Post
Charlotte is a blue town in a blue state (although it is definitely not the most liberal city in NC and is also surrounded by some conservative places.) What are you looking for in a town? I too was drawn to Nashville for the music vibe (I moved here from Charlotte after growing up in East TN.) However, I have to say that I mostly hate going downtown and aside from Music Row, I don't really feel that Nashville offers that much more in the way of music for the average person over Charlotte.
Well, since the op hasn't posted in about two years and this thread keeps getting resurrected. I might as well fluff my post count.

I hate to be a picker of nits(That's not true. I actually love it) but I feel you're misrepresenting North Carolina a little bit here. N.C. went 49.9% Obama to 49.5% for McCain, even though Democrats lead Republicans eight to five in House seats, I'd still consider that more purple than blue. Not quite the bastion of Liberalism you seem to want it to be. Also, to address your statement about Charlotte being surrounded by "some" conservative places. All but three of the the sixteen counties in the Charlotte metro went for McCain. I think the word "mostly" would have been more appropriate. Lastly, if you think Nashville's best music offerings are on Music Row, then I don't know what to say. Considering it's for the most part recording and publishing offices with little to no live music to speak of.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I would like opinions on Nashville vs. Charlotte. Which city would you relocate
to if you had the choice? I am from the Bay Area and looking for the
best one..

I have lived in the Bay area before. I can tell you which city you will be most comfortable in. What city in the bay are you from?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:14 PM

251 posts, read 1,034,381 times
Default Hello Everyone--Thanks for the Feedback

Hello Folks,

I haven't been on this board in a long time, glad to hear the
input. I am still here in the Bay Area---I have decided to
stay here for the time being....

Still love to hear the feedback on the cities though...I hope to revisit them
this year....

Old 01-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Hi qwe123safi,

So you lived in the Bay Area? How are you liking Nashville...

I live in Albany

Old 01-14-2009, 02:37 PM

wyldeirish,

Yes, the Lack of the Ocean or Bodies of Water is something to get used to.....I missed
it when I visited various Southern Cities--Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Little Rock---

North Carolina is a beautiful state especially the foliage in autumn...Haven't been to the
coast yet--would love to

Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Hi qwe123safi,

So you lived in the Bay Area? How are you liking Nashville...

I live in Albany

To me, Nashville is like paradise. I do not know if you have been to Nashville, but it is very green and beautiful. I went through Albany one time in order to get to San Francisco. The area seemed very diverse. Anyway, diversity is very strong in both South and West Nashville.

A race comparison to Charlotte would go something like this:

Nashville white (>) Charlotte white- slightly

Nashville Black (<) Charlotte Black-slightly- Nashville has been ranked above Charlotte twice on the list of Top 10 Cities for African Americans(See Blackenterprise.com)

Nashville Hispanic (>) Charlotte Hispanic- bigger

Nashville Asian (<) Charlotte Asian-slightly

Nashville other races(>) Charlotte other races- overwhelmingly

Job wise I would have to say Nashville. Nashville is one of the only cities in the country which is actually getting better, or staying the same in the tough economy. Charlotte has been hit pretty hard.

Charlotte has a slightly higher city and metro population. (And I mean slightly)

Charlotte and Nashville have the same number of pro teams. However, Nashville has more underground sports teams.

Nashville is obviously better when it comes to music. Nashville is the capital of not only country music, but it is the gospel capital too. Jazz and Christian Pop are also common in Nashville.

Nashville is a hotbed when it comes to health care.

The same goes for Nashville's education. Nashville is knows as the Athens of the South due to the something like 23 Universities and colleges in Nashville.

Nashville's sky line is also growing rapidly. Go on Google, and type in Nashville Projects Thread.

Nashville is also experiencing what I call a population boom. I notice more and more people everyday.

Crime wise Nashville is higher. But, common sense in all you need IMO to avoid crime. I am sure other people agree with that statement as well.

Remember, Nashville and Charlotte are extremely similar. If any city has something more than the other, it is very slight.

Coming from the bay area, I think you should take a good look at West and South Nashville.

When most people from the bay think of Nashville and Charlotte, they think of a smaller-sized predominantly hick town because they are in the South. I am sure most of them are surprised when they find out that Nashville and Charlotte both have a population around 630,000.- Which is not much smaller than San Francisco.- However I have found that although the population in Nashville is big, Nashville seems to have a small town feel that I just love.

If that may be a little bit too much, then I would recommend looking at Knoxville, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Carksville, or even Jackson, tn.

- They all (except for Jackson) have a population over 100,000. Jackson has a population of about 80,000-90,000.

Last edited by qwe123safi; 01-14-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 32,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middletnjoe View Post
Well, since the op hasn't posted in about two years and this thread keeps getting resurrected. I might as well fluff my post count.

I hate to be a picker of nits(That's not true. I actually love it) but I feel you're misrepresenting North Carolina a little bit here. N.C. went 49.9% Obama to 49.5% for McCain, even though Democrats lead Republicans eight to five in House seats, I'd still consider that more purple than blue. Not quite the bastion of Liberalism you seem to want it to be. Also, to address your statement about Charlotte being surrounded by "some" conservative places. All but three of the the sixteen counties in the Charlotte metro went for McCain. I think the word "mostly" would have been more appropriate. Lastly, if you think Nashville's best music offerings are on Music Row, then I don't know what to say. Considering it's for the most part recording and publishing offices with little to no live music to speak of.
As you said, I can tell you love it , but I didn't write my post for people who wanted to pick through every little thing. I was trying to offer the original poster some info since I have lived in both places. You are right that NC is not San Francisco by any means. It's still the South, and nowhere in the true south is a really much of a "bastion of liberalism" as you put it. It just isn't, and as a lifelong Southerner, believe me, I know! However, I do find NC more progressive than TN. That is not to say that there are not a lot of conservative people and politics there (Charlotte has lots of evangelical ties and huge "mcchurches," as they were called! I had never even heard that term until I moved to Charlotte, and I know West Carolina, with perhaps the slight exception of Asheville, is seen as the conservative side as opposed to the more liberal Triangle area.) However, Charlotte also has had a lot of people moving in at a really steady rate; they have been experiencing huge growth in the past 5-7 years and I think that's probably why I considered my experience in Charlotte to be more diverse, richer, etc, as all of these people from vastly different places were moving in when I lived there. We could not get enough teachers to keep up with the growth! They were desperate for qualified people. And lol, I don't think Music Row is where the music is;I do sincerely hate downtown although places in nearby neighborhoods like Exit In, Mercy Lounge etc. are great. You do have to admit that when people think Nashville and music though, they do think Music Row. What I said in my post was that Nashville did not have that much musically over Charlotte; Charlotte has tons of great little venues that are reminiscent of Exit In, Mercy Lounge, etc. but Charlotte does not have anything like Music Row, and that is why I mentioned it. For me personally, it's just where my hair stylist is, and Off Broadway Shoes, and not much more--lol. Alright..as you were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville