Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM

126 posts, read 332,797 times

Advertisements

thank you all so much for this great info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,909,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
curious which (if any) of these areas offer a welcoming community with young families that is walkable (to stores etc)?
there are no walkable areas...maybe around old hickory lake...

Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,658,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
[list][*]West Nashville (Hillsboro Village, Belmont, Vandy, West End, 12 South, Lipscomb, Waverly, Music Row, Richland and Edgehill) -
This was a FABULOUS post! Wonderful details and info! Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 23,780 times
Default walking in Green Hills

A few things...almost no crime. University atmosphere. Quiet neighborhoods. Within 1 mile there is a mall, library, YMCA, multiple restaurants, movie theatre, several parks, gas stations, specialty stores, etc. The thing that makes Green Hills great are the schools, amenities available, and you are literally 20 minutes from anywhere in Nashville including Hendersonville, Gallatin, Cool Springs, Brentwood, Bellevue, Belle Meade, Titans stadium, downtown, and East Nashville and 10 minutes from 3 universities. Vanderbilt, Belmont, and David Lipscomb. You are 5 miles from downtown, and 5 minutes from I65 and I40, 15 minutes from I24. Established neighborhoods with mature trees, a lot of history and did I mention AWESOME schools. Of course along with all of these things you will pay a higher price for homes.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:05 PM

933 posts, read 2,745,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankeyis View Post
A few things...almost no crime. University atmosphere. Quiet neighborhoods. Within 1 mile there is a mall, library, YMCA, multiple restaurants, movie theatre, several parks, gas stations, specialty stores, etc. The thing that makes Green Hills great are the schools, amenities available, and you are literally 20 minutes from anywhere in Nashville including Hendersonville, Gallatin, Cool Springs, Brentwood, Bellevue, Belle Meade, Titans stadium, downtown, and East Nashville and 10 minutes from 3 universities. Vanderbilt, Belmont, and David Lipscomb. You are 5 miles from downtown, and 5 minutes from I65 and I40, 15 minutes from I24. Established neighborhoods with mature trees, a lot of history and did I mention AWESOME schools. Of course along with all of these things you will pay a higher price for homes.
But can you walk to these places? No. And you left out the part about the hellacious traffic you get there. Hillsboro village is every thing mentioned and is actually a walk able neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,038,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
But can you walk to these places? No. And you left out the part about the hellacious traffic you get there. Hillsboro village is every thing mentioned and is actually a walk able neighborhood.
Traffic in Hillsboro Village is no picnic, and it doesn't have "everything [he/she] mentioned" that is in Green Hills. Where is the Hillsboro Village YMCA, movie theater, mall, and library?

Besides, many parts of Green Hills are very walkable and if you live in the area and know the roads well, you never have to mess with the nightmare that is Hillsboro Rd.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM

933 posts, read 2,745,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Traffic in Hillsboro Village is no picnic, and it doesn't have "everything [he/she] mentioned" that is in Green Hills. Where is the Hillsboro Village YMCA, movie theater, mall, and library?

Besides, many parts of Green Hills are very walkable and if you live in the area and know the roads well, you never have to mess with the nightmare that is Hillsboro Rd.
Yeah you see people walking to the Green Hills mall (that's why you can never find a parking space when you finally get through the traffic). The actual neighborhoods are walk able, of course, but you never see anyone walking to the mall, the movie theater or the YMCA. Green Hills has lot's of potential but it needs a lot of added/alternative infrastructure to become a walk able community. Let's see Hillsboro Village probably has THE ONLY walk able movie theater in middle Tennessee, The Belcourt.

Welcome to the Belcourt Theatre - Nashville's non-profit venue for film, music & events

Now I know it doesn't show Bruce Willis flicks so Pimpy probably don't consider it a "real" theatre. Yeah, your right no liabraries, it's really weird that Vanderbilt and Belmont don't have libraries. How did they get such great academic reputations? Who knows. As far as a work out facility, I think it would be more advantageous of them to join the Green Hills Y and just drive there from Hillsboro Village. They would driving to it if they lived in Green Hills anyway. Hillsboro Village also has a strip called Hillsboro Village with nice restaurants and shops that is walk able from the neighborhood. If you wanted to go to "mall" mall you could get in your car and drive to Green Hills. Again, you would be driving to it anyways if you lived in Green Hills, trust me. Now if being around an abundance of college kids bother you then Hillsboro Village might not be your thing (again these aren't state schools, most of the students are pretty focused on their future considering the tuition they are paying). But their are plenty of "real" residents (not just renters) that live their and they keep the neighborhood looking really nice.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 PM

63 posts, read 280,991 times
Green Hills is mostly walkable, though not pedestrian-friendly. To me the these are two separate classifications: "walkable" meaning it's usually possible to get from point A to point B on foot without getting flattened by a bus (though not necessarily using the most efficient route), and "pedestrian-friendly" meaning an effort has been made to provide as many sidewalks and crosswalks as possible to make the trip from point A to point B safer and more efficient.

One example would be getting from Lipscomb University to Green Hills. The most direct route is down Glen Echo, which unfortunately lacks a contiguous sidewalk from Belmont Blvd to Hillsboro Rd. This means you have to go further south down Belmont, get on Shackleford, then work your way around Lone Oak and Richard Jones to finally get to Green Hills. Contrast this with getting from Belmont University to Harris Teeter in Hillsboro Village. Almost every street in the area has contiguous sidewalks and the street layout is closer to (though not exactly) a grid pattern, so you can pretty much pick any route you want (even the most direct).

All that said, Green Hills seems to be in the process of transitioning to a more pedestrian-friendly setup (probably out of necessity; can't exactly widen Hillsboro Rd without getting landgrabby), but it will take some time whereas Hillsboro Village is pretty much already there. As someone who has spent a considerable amount of time in both areas I can say I really like both, but as far as truly walkable and pedestrian-friendly areas go, Hillsboro Village trumps Green Hills.

Oh yeah, and Pimpy's right -- learn the roads around both areas and you'll never have to waste time in traffic on Hillsboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville