Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 12:36 AM

7 posts, read 18,162 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to TN sometime soon. Can anyone give me some info on Petersburg. I was looking at homes on line and it seems like a nice community. How far to shopping, restraints, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 18,631 times
Default Re: Petersburg Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Family View Post
Looking to move to TN sometime soon. Can anyone give me some info on Petersburg. I was looking at homes on line and it seems like a nice community. How far to shopping, restraints, etc....
Based on my personal experience of Petersburg: This is a small and rural town. Lots of farm land (cows, horses, lamas, chickens, and other livestock etc.) There are not many (if any) street lights which makes driving challenging in the evening and night. There are a lot of farm-lands which make the houses quite a large distance from one another. There is no cable internet or DSL in this area. Although, an alternative would be satellite internet (but it can be costly) ... or you can always use dial-up. Cable TV is somewhat limited, but you can go with Direct TV. Most cell phones do not work in the area, but I found that Verizon does seem to pick up most of the area (although you are still subject to being cut off in spots). Jobs are scarce in the area and although there is limited housing and land for sale, there are not many ... if any at all in the rental department. There are gas stations and stores (dollar store, Walmart, Tractor Supply and retail stores such as this and fast food in Fayetteville, TN which is within 20 - 30 minutes of Petersburg). Not to mention, Huntsville, AL is about 45 mins. to an hour drive from Petersburg, and you could find whatever you need there if you're up for the drive. Also Nashville is about 60 - 90 minutes from there. It's definately Country Living, so if you're looking for the peace and quiet of the country and like some solitude, it may be a good match for you.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Thank You removing;

I kind of figured that was the case. I live in a very small town in AZ now which is probably the same type of thing. I'm not sure if I want to live in that small of a town again, I think I would like some more amenities a little closer. Well thank you I will visit there anyway just to see for my self.

Thank you
Cool Family

Old 03-21-2009, 08:40 AM

OOPS the spell check took the 4 out of 4moveing

Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 18,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Family View Post
OOPS the spell check took the 4 out of 4moveing
Quite alright. Enjoy your visit to Petersburg, TN!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 AM

13 posts, read 58,606 times
I beg to differ. I live in Petersburg. I have DSL. I have family that lives outside the city limits and THEY have DSL. It is NOT a hole in the wall. I am raising a family here and I feel safe. At least come and visit before you write it off!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Live near Petersburg--have family there. Small, friendly little community straddling 2 counties. It is about equidistant between Fayetteville and Lewisburg, both towns of roughly the same size with limited shopping. While Huntsville is about an hour away, Nashville is not too much further in the other direction.
As corey4671 says, there is DSL available--IN CERTAIN AREAS--not everywhere.

Petersburg is an old town that once was actually a retreat for the yankee wealthy years and years ago. It is a town that really isn't growing, and has been losing businesses over the years. The town used to have a college years ago, and in the 70s, another started up again, unsuccessfully. No real industry in town for jobs. Most people work either Lewisburg, Fayetteville, and some in Shelbyville, and none of those towns are really booming at the moment.

Lot of big, old houses just begging for restoration. There is housing for sale in the area, (few in town) but you may have to wait to find what you want. Not many rentals, no apartments that I can think of. What rentals are available are usually a word of mouth thing.

It's the kind of town where your kids can walk the streets and you wouldn't worry about them. Real friendly, country town.

Oh, DO NOT SPEED in town. It does have a (well-deserved) local reputation as a speed trap town, particularly on the Lewisburg/Fayetteville highway.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
No one has mentioned the schools available for Petersburg. Children K-8 go to Unity School which is a relatively new school (less than 20 years old) and is out in the country between Petersburg and Boonshill. High school students have a choice of going to Fayetteville or to Cornersville. Fayetteville is a large more progressive program while Cornersville is a small more rural program.

Also not mentioned is the close proximity to Murfreesboro. I have lots of friends in Petersburg (having lived there a few years ago) and most of them choose to drive to Murf rather than Nashville or Huntsville. Murfreesboro is the home of Middle Tennessee State University and also a Veteran's Hospital (should you be a veteran).

There are several churches, Baptist, Presbyterian, Church of Christ and one public park. There is a very small grocery, a laundromat, and a couple of beauty shops.

If you direct mail me with the properties you are interested in, I will inquire among my friends who still live there as to property information.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Don't forget Teach, that a number of those K-8 kids go to Marshall County schools, and some HS kids to Marshall County HS...Unity School is part of the Lincoln County school district.

Don't forget the convenience store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville