Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 22,393 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide whether to attend graduate school at the University of Iowa or at Vanderbilt University this Fall. I'm from Texas, and my family and friends are skeptical of me moving to Iowa. All anyone has to say about Iowa City is "it's too cold for you there" or "there is nothing but corn there." I guess that one of my reservations about moving to Nashville would be a fear of living in a large city. I would appreciate any information about life in Nashville, driving in the city, and crime rates. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
I did some reading on Iowa City and it seems like a nice, pleasant place to me. I have friends here at work who attended school there. Comparing a metro of 167,000 with one of 1.6 million is difficult at best. I'm not sure where you live in Texas, but think of moving to Nashville as similar to moving to Austin. The good, the bad are probably near the same. Adjusting to a large city isn't that difficult, but if focusing on your education and having things you need close by and comfortable without some of the hassles of city life, maybe I.C. is best. I know this wasn't much help, but these comparison points are just so far apart.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:57 AM

159 posts, read 333,164 times
I grew up near Iowa City and have been going back for many years. Currently I live in a small town in Illinois but am planning on moving to Nashville. Winters in Iowa are cold and long. Summers are hot. If you like football, Iowa City is a great place to be. The Hawkeye fans are fervent. Iowa IS a very good school. When I am in Nashville, it doesn't seem like a large city to me. Living in Iowa City would be a big adjustment weather-wise I think. What is your major?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM

6 posts, read 22,393 times
My major is Biochemistry, but I would be studying Immunology at the University of Iowa. I definitely enjoyed Iowa City while I was interviewing there a couple of weeks ago.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:50 AM

159 posts, read 333,164 times
If you were there a couple of weeks ago then you experienced the weather in Iowa in winter. If you had a good feeling, then go with your feeling. Iowa City is certainly a great medical university.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:14 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Iowa City is top notch. It's extremely cultured, very liberal, yet small enough that you don't feel like it's a major city. Tons to do there, not just for undergrads. Lots of museums, unique shopping, restaurants...it's great. it's a college town. Nashville is not, and while Vandy is great, it's completely opposite in terms of lifestyle. The hospitals are on campus at Iowa, the bus system is free and goes all over campus, 24 hours a day. But if you want to drive, it's simple. Yes, it's freezing cold that's the only down side. But it's still hot and warm during spring, summer, and fall. Winter is basically November thru March.

Iowa City crime rates are basiacally zero, other than the normal "public intox" that the kids get. (Typical college town.) there is no crime. Leave doors unlocked, car windows down. Nashville has a high crime rate in the US, not necessarily near Vandy, but overall.

Go Hawks!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM

180 posts, read 596,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Iowa City is top notch. It's extremely cultured, very liberal, yet small enough that you don't feel like it's a major city. Tons to do there, not just for undergrads. Lots of museums, unique shopping, restaurants...it's great. it's a college town. Nashville is not, and while Vandy is great, it's completely opposite in terms of lifestyle. The hospitals are on campus at Iowa, the bus system is free and goes all over campus, 24 hours a day. But if you want to drive, it's simple. Yes, it's freezing cold that's the only down side. But it's still hot and warm during spring, summer, and fall. Winter is basically November thru March.

Iowa City crime rates are basiacally zero, other than the normal "public intox" that the kids get. (Typical college town.) there is no crime. Leave doors unlocked, car windows down. Nashville has a high crime rate in the US, not necessarily near Vandy, but overall.

Go Hawks!

I respectfully disagree with you and would love to see some facts to back up your claims made in the post above. I find it terribly hard to imagine a small city being considerably more liberal than a city that typically votes straight democrat in the elections and has as many people as we do. Please expound on your claims.

If I remember correctly, Vandy is very liberal and easily one of the best schools in the country. Our crime rate is not that high at all and to compare it to a city with just over 100,000 people is a stretch at best. Especially saying it's bad in the overall city? Come on! That's just very uninformed posting and to see it from a "mod" is depressing.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
MichaelBNA, I don't have a dog in this fight but I think Pearlbob was just stating that Iowa City is liberal in general, not really saying that it's more liberal than Nashville.

To the OP I think that Nashville is as big of a city as you want to make it. It can feel very small town to people that just stay in their neighborhood. If you lived near Vandy you wouldn't have to have a car so if driving in a city is something that concerns you I'd say don't worry about it. I believe Vandy students get free admission on the metro busses but between walking & biking you really don't need a car in that area.

As far as crime rates in the Vandy area, I don't have hard facts but I personally would feel VERY safe there. It's not to say that I would leave my doors unlocked but I wouldn't do that in Iowa City regardless of crime rates.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Attention all criminals! Unlocked doors and car windows abound in Iowa City! Now you know. Go get 'em!

On a serious note, this is just not good advice for anywhere. The only time I've ever had my car broken into was on my "safe" college campus (Sewanee) where this kind of advice was doled out regularly. Be smart and sensible and your chances of being a victim are much lower no matter where you live.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:39 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
After living in IC for many years, I may not have #'s, but I know the experience! I'm not saying Vandy isn't liberal. Iowa City is overall an extremely liberal city. Human rights, gay rights, art, women's rights...it gets over-run with demonstrations, sit ins, etc a lot All of IC is like that, as opposed to Nashville, where you have to admit...is Brentwood the same demographic as Vandy grad students? My point is that IC is very small and no matter where you are, you're around the same type of people. Yet in Nashville, you aren't going to necessarily live RIGHT next to Vandy and you're going to deal with a lot of different viewpoints. Which is good, of course. But Nashville is not a small college town, it's a large city with a million different cultures, people, etc.

I am not being uninformed. The poster asked about crime rates in the 2 cities. So...I compared them. ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
I respectfully disagree with you and would love to see some facts to back up your claims made in the post above. I find it terribly hard to imagine a small city being considerably more liberal than a city that typically votes straight democrat in the elections and has as many people as we do. Please expound on your claims.

If I remember correctly, Vandy is very liberal and easily one of the best schools in the country. Our crime rate is not that high at all and to compare it to a city with just over 100,000 people is a stretch at best. Especially saying it's bad in the overall city? Come on! That's just very uninformed posting and to see it from a "mod" is depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville